• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

6x24 trinovid price (1 Viewer)

panoptik

I'm new here, so hello, All,

I enjoy bird watching with my daughter, but I'm really more of a binocular collector.

Anyhow, does anyone here know or remember how much the 6x24 trinvid sold for back in the early 60s?

Robert

6x24...now that IS an interesting bino format! lets see...there was a recent ebay auction for one that ended Dec. 3. the winning bid was $521.00!

you might want to try typing "leica or leitz trinovid 6x24" on google to see what comes up...

nctexasbirder said:
6x24...now that IS an interesting bino format! lets see...there was a recent ebay auction for one that ended Dec. 3. the winning bid was $521.00!

you might want to try typing "leica or leitz trinovid 6x24" on google to see what comes up...

Thanks, but I've already tried every search term I can think of - no luck. Peter Abrahams has list of pretty much every binocular Leitz ever made, including original price. Unfortunately, he doesn't have prices for the early trinovids.

And I was watching the auction you mentioned - it IS amazing that collectors will pay so much for this tiny binocular. I paid about $100 less for mine and they came with the case AND original box. Highest price I've seen a Leitz 6x24 sell for was $635 for an Amplivid - and the trinovid is really a better glass.

panoptik said:
Highest price I've seen a Leitz 6x24 sell for was $635 for an Amplivid - and the trinovid is really a better glass.

Dear Panoptik,

Only $635! The last time I tracked an auction, an Amplivid went for rather more.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

I have owned 3 pair of 6x24 trinovid and one of the amplivid. The trinovid is a far superior instrument. These binoculars have an amazing field of view (212M) and can not be beat for theater or most sports applications. They have a somewhat "soft" image when compared to the trinovids made 20 years later, and even "softer" when compared with the new model trinovids (once called ultra) or the ultravids. Nevertheless, these are amazing binoculars and about as small as can be easily held. I wish any of the good companies would make something like this, but I suspect the market is pretty thin for such an instrument. by the way, I paid around $450 for the trinovids, but a price around $600 is more common today. Finally, the inflation rate from when these were made to today is over 500% so if they cost $100 in 1963 they should cost at least $500 today, not counting for the fact that they are rare.

steve johnson said:
I have owned 3 pair of 6x24 trinovid and one of the amplivid. The trinovid is a far superior instrument. These binoculars have an amazing field of view (212M) and can not be beat for theater or most sports applications. They have a somewhat "soft" image when compared to the trinovids made 20 years later, and even "softer" when compared with the new model trinovids (once called ultra) or the ultravids. Nevertheless, these are amazing binoculars and about as small as can be easily held. I wish any of the good companies would make something like this, but I suspect the market is pretty thin for such an instrument. by the way, I paid around $450 for the trinovids, but a price around $600 is more common today. Finally, the inflation rate from when these were made to today is over 500% so if they cost $100 in 1963 they should cost at least $500 today, not counting for the fact that they are rare.

What is the eye relief on the 6x24s

Renze is right about the eye relief. You will not use these with glasses. However, I wear glasses for all binoculars except the 6x24. I have about 6 diopter of correction and with the 6x24 I can still focus the instrument. You would never see this in a higher power binocular. Also if the eye relief were made longer the field of view would most likely shrink. It is the field of view that makes these so unique. By the way a pair sold on Ebay last week for around $900 (appeared to be unused).

Trinovid 6x24 Price, 1965

Hi Robert, I am also new to this forum, but as a binocular collector I keep a lot of literature on bins. I have a Canadian price list for the Trinovids, dated 1965, showing the list price as (Canadian) $189. This was the last year of their production. They now sell for a lot more as apparently they were produced in far less quantity than the 10x and 8x and, with their very wide field and compact size, are very collectable.
I hope ths helps,
John Garnham
panoptik said:
I'm new here, so hello, All,

I enjoy bird watching with my daughter, but I'm really more of a binocular collector.

Anyhow, does anyone here know or remember how much the 6x24 trinvid sold for back in the early 60s?

Robert

Leitz trinovid 6x24 latest model?

any body has idea what was the lates year of production of those Leitz 6x24 trinovid?
I have one showes made in 1977 is that right?

Hi Nitro 270, The 6x24 Trinovids were in production from 1963 to 1965, according to the Leica Collectors Guide by Dennis Laney, a "bible" of Leica collectors. Also I have searched my collection of Leitz/Leica binocular literature and can find no record of production past 1965.
Regards, John

so it menans that those ring under eyecups are not original?
showing ser # starting with 77 xxx? (regarding of 6x24 leitz trinovid)?
Regards

nitro270 said:
so it menans that those ring under eyecups are not original?
showing ser # starting with 77 xxx? (regarding of 6x24 leitz trinovid)?
Regards
IMHO you are correct in your assumption. The identifying rings on trinovids are very easily removed, and possibly have been switched with another model. As the rings of different models are not all the same height, that may provide a clue as to which model the ring might be off. Looking at some of my trinovids, the 8x40 ring looks to be quite close to that of the 6x24.
regards, John

jjg213 said:
IMHO you are correct in your assumption. The identifying rings on trinovids are very easily removed, and possibly have been switched with another model. As the rings of different models are not all the same height, that may provide a clue as to which model the ring might be off. Looking at some of my trinovids, the 8x40 ring looks to be quite close to that of the 6x24.
regards, John

but it has also rubber foldable eyecup, inspite of others trinovid made in 64-66 which have solid eyecup, does it ,make sense to you?

nitro270 said:
but it has also rubber foldable eyecup, inspite of others trinovid made in 64-66 which have solid eyecup, does it ,make sense to you?
The plot thickens! The eye relief of the 6x24 trinovids is minimal, and hardly could make use of fold down eyecups, in fact I suggest that if the eyecups are not folded down, you are not benefitting from the awesomely wide view of this model. Now it sounds as if not only the rings, but also the eyecups are from a different trinovid model. Try folding down the eyecups, or even removing them. I bet the FOV will increase.
regards, John

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the 6x24s, are they similar in size to the 8x20 ultravids?

Adam C said:
Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the 6x24s, are they similar in size to the 8x20 ultravids?
Hi Adam, the dimensions are: Height 98mm, Width (at maximum IPD) 118mm, Depth 38mm, Weight 440 grams.
Regards, John

Hi,

I wonder if the years of production (1963-65) usually given for the Leitz Trinovid 6x24 are correct. Here's why:
During the Trinovid production (1963-1990) Leitz used 4 different company logo's. In chronological order: a handwritten Leitz signature, a black rectangle, a black dot and a red dot. The first two were used in the sixties, the third in the early seventies and the last one for the subsequent years.
The logo's usually seen on a 6x24 are the Leitz signature and the rectangle, however I have seen a few black dot-6x24's as well. Unlike the earlier two types, who come with a clip/stud strap attachment, these 'black dots' are equipped with a bridge (hook) to hold the strap and also feature soft rubber, fold-down eyecups (of a size also used for the non-B Trinovid types of other configurations).
What I mean to say here is, that for the identification of a 6x24 Trinovid it's not only the serial number that counts. It's also the logo and the strap attachment. If nitro270's Trinovid 6x24 has a black dot Leitz logo, a 'modern' strap fitting and short rubber eyecups, he can be pretty sure his binoculars were manufactured in the early 1970's. Now, what was his serial number again? Starting with 77? Well, this serial # dates his binoculars back to round about 1972. So everything fits, except of course the production years given by Dennis Laney and others.

Note: My impression is that the years of production given for the rubber armoured Leitz Trinovid 7x35 (1981-83) are also incorrect, i.e. too limited.

Renze

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back