• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SRB-Griturn Universal Adapter (1 Viewer)

Neil

I just received this adapter thanks to Paul Hackett and had a quick look at it in my loungeroom this afternoon.
A well made piece of kit with a comprehensive set of instuctions which I choose to ingnore to see how far I could go on my own (don't try this in your own home). Quite straightforward to set up and I tried it on my Leica C-Lux 1, Canon A640, Olympus 7070wz (with battery pack attached ) and Nikon CP8400. They could all be set up ,with the Leica being the easiest (probably the most digiscoping friendly lens I've seen and the A640 being the hardest.
The version I got was to fit the Swarovski new 30x eyepiece but it also fits the 45x and the old 20-60x zoom. The new zoom is about .25mm too big unfortunately.
I will leave further comments until I have field tested it in the wilds of Mai Po Nature Reserve this week. I hope to borrow other cameras to test as well. Neil.

Neil

Let me know what you think of the srb adapter as i plan to order one for the 884 kowa when it arrives. cheers.

Paul

Ditto.

One question I do have with regards to this set up - is the area between the camera lens and the eyepiece somehow protected from side glare/reflection etc, and also how does it deal with external zoom compacts and avoid striking the eyepiece. (I currently use an LCE adaptor on a Nikon 4300 which basically means one end of the adapter screws to the Nikon, and the other slide over the eyepiece providing support and a sealed tube between the 2.)

Allen.
It's not a sealed unit so light from the side could be a problem. I find that I have difficulty seeing the lcd anyway if I have sun from the side so I normally find shade our have the sun behind me and shield the camera with my body. I will only be testing with external lenses so I'll let you know soon. I have this problem anyway with the 8400 on the Swarovski DCA. Neil.

Neil said:
Allen.
It's not a sealed unit so light from the side could be a problem. I find that I have difficulty seeing the lcd anyway if I have sun from the side so I normally find shade our have the sun behind me and shield the camera with my body. I will only be testing with external lenses so I'll let you know soon. I have this problem anyway with the 8400 on the Swarovski DCA. Neil.

I am not sure what you mean Neil, on my setup when using the Swarovski DCA with my Nikon 8400, the "lens to eyepiece" is completely covered to prevent light flare

Bob

To clarify Bob, I was addressing Allen's second point on the external lens touching the eyepiece when zooming which is a problem I have with the 8400 and the zoom DCA if not adjusted properly. I should have started a new paragraph. Sorry about the vagueness, Neil.

Unless the light is very bright (e.g. sun), I can't see there being any chance of flare occuring. After all the camera is focusing on the image coming through the scope only. I've certainly not noticed any problm so far, although with very limited experience.

The adapter works with internal or external zoom lenses. I can't speak to highly of its design and quality - a really good piece of kit.

I have had the SRB-Griturn adapter out in the field this week and gave it a good workout. The setup for each camera does take a few minutes to get right and so it would be best to have a way of transporting it so that it doesn't have to be broken down every time you move. It is not really robust enough to be thrown over the shoulder on the scope (the screw in the tripod thread will vibrate loose ). I took it off the eyepiece and packed it away with camera still attached when I moved about. I don't use a cable release so I didn't test out this feature but it is nice to have and I will test it out this week if I can find my old release. I did have to be careful that I didn't try and pan with the bird holding the camera on the adapter as the camera had a tendency to move out of alignement. It would be nice if there would be a way of locking the camera in position more securely (this is one of the main advantages of the dedicated adapter ).
It is a nice bit of kit and is great to have for trying/testing/using different digicams that don't have adapter threads.
Here are some photos of the adapter with my CP8400 on (it even handled my Olympus 7070wz with battery pack ) and some photos taken with the Leica C-lux 1. I fired the shutter in Continuous Mode for these images. Neil.
Leica C-Lux 1 plus Swarovski STS80HD scope and Sw 30x eyepiece and SRB-Griturn Universal Adapter

Attachments

• SRB.Griturn.adapter L1020377.jpg
    SRB.Griturn.adapter L1020377.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 858
  • SRB.Griturn.adapter.8400 L1020390.jpg
    SRB.Griturn.adapter.8400 L1020390.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 2,195
  • SRB.Griturn.adapter.leica L1020490.jpg
    SRB.Griturn.adapter.leica L1020490.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 573
  • SRB.Griturn.adapter.leica L1020442.jpg
    SRB.Griturn.adapter.leica L1020442.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 519
Last edited:
I thought I would add an image from the Leica C-lux 1 and the SRB-Griturn adapter from this week. This was taken from about 80 metres. Neil.

Attachments

• little egret.SRB-griturnadapt  L1020566.jpg
    little egret.SRB-griturnadapt L1020566.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 553
As a follow up to my testing I've noticed that digacams with off-centred tripod threads (eg. Leica C-lux 1 ) have a tendency to work loose when working the shutter agressively. The Sony W100 with a centred thread are a little better in this regard. I'm thinking that a nylon bush between the screw and the adjustment bar would probably help to lock the camera on a bit tighter. Neil.

Neil said:
As a follow up to my testing I've noticed that digacams with off-centred tripod threads (eg. Leica C-lux 1 ) have a tendency to work loose when working the shutter agressively. The Sony W100 with a centred thread are a little better in this regard. I'm thinking that a nylon bush between the screw and the adjustment bar would probably help to lock the camera on a bit tighter. Neil.

Great shots Neil. I am waiting for my SRB Griturn adaptor to arrive (ordered about 2 weeks ago) and am thinking of getting a Fuji F30 to use with it. Have you tried this combination yet?

hoopoe said:
Great shots Neil. I am waiting for my SRB Griturn adaptor to arrive (ordered about 2 weeks ago) and am thinking of getting a Fuji F30 to use with it. Have you tried this combination yet?

I wish I could but my F30 is broken (don't tell my wife). It will work well as it's very similar to the Sony W100. The main issue I have with it is the camera tends to move off square if you are heavy handed with the shutter (which I am as I like to pan and shoot at the same time ). You might like to try sticking some tape between camera and locking arm or a nylon bush between screw and locking arm. I hope a handyman can work out a solution for this. Neil.

Neil said:
I wish I could but my F30 is broken (don't tell my wife). It will work well as it's very similar to the Sony W100. The main issue I have with it is the camera tends to move off square if you are heavy handed with the shutter (which I am as I like to pan and shoot at the same time ). You might like to try sticking some tape between camera and locking arm or a nylon bush between screw and locking arm. I hope a handyman can work out a solution for this. Neil.

Sorry about the demise of your F30 (won't ask how you broke it!) and thanks for the advice - I will try it out when I eventually get everything together.

Following up on my comment about the screw coming loose on the SRB-Griturn adapter I modified it today using the screw from my Scopetronix EZ-Pix 1 adapter. I have just tested it at home but it locks the camera much more firmly onto the adjustment bar. Neil.

Attachments

• SRB-Griturn.adapter.screw DSC00840.jpg
    SRB-Griturn.adapter.screw DSC00840.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 416
Hi Neil

I like your idea, and it really is good to hear other peoples ideas. I have had a look at your picture and I really like what you have done.

I am looking at making something that works in the same way for the Brackets. Any other ideas that will make the product better for digiscopers are very welcome.

Thanks again

Terry

I found my old cable release yesterday and set it up on the SRB-Griturn adapter with the Fuji F31fd. The Fuji has it's tripod thread on the far left of the camera and I noticed a bit of flex in the camera when depressing the cable release. I will test it out in the field today. I would appreciate others comments about this issue and whether it causes blur in the images. Neil.

Hi Neil

I noticed the flexing on my adapter and pointed out this to Terry, IMO the bar on which the camera is supported needs to be a thicker gauge. On the question of the camera working loose I have never encountered this problem with my A95.

Also I replaced all the allen screws with the plastic headed screws like those that are on the cable release bar, I found this to be far superior to messing about with fiddly allen keys and screws. as for the allen screw holding the camera bar to metal upright just ensure this is absolutely fully tightened and there should be no problems.

I did post a thread on this adapter months ago advising potential users of the aspects of using the adapter, how good it was and also it's potential for digiscoping with a dslr!! If I knew how to set a link up I would do so to merge the threads.

Replacements for allen head screws on SRB-Gritrun adapter

:egghead:
Robert L Jarvis said:
Hi Neil

I noticed the flexing on my adapter and pointed out this to Terry, IMO the bar on which the camera is supported needs to be a thicker gauge. On the question of the camera working loose I have never encountered this problem with my A95.

Also I replaced all the allen screws with the plastic headed screws like those that are on the cable release bar, I found this to be far superior to messing about with fiddly allen keys and screws. as for the allen screw holding the camera bar to metal upright just ensure this is absolutely fully tightened and there should be no problems.

I did post a thread on this adapter months ago advising potential users of the aspects of using the adapter, how good it was and also it's potential for digiscoping with a dslr!! If I knew how to set a link up I would do so to merge the threads.

Hi Robert,

Where did you get the screws you used to replace the original allen screws? I have one of SRB-Griturn's cable release brackets, but the screws in it are too short.

Robert D.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back