• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lens fell off the camera! (1 Viewer)

Bjornpdx

Hello,

I've been using a Kenko 1.4x Pro300 teleconverter with my Canon EF 100-400mm with pretty good results. Today, I had just taken a picture and the lens fell off the converter! Luckily I had the lens firmly in hand and the 30D strapped around my neck.

Checking it out later, I noticed that the release on the converter is very easy to engage--just a slight push on it is enough to release the lens. So I must have bumped into it accidentally and then twisted the lens off by adjusting the tightening ring. I'm thinking of holding the release button in place with a piece of electrician's tape or something.

I've never seen this issue mentioned anywhere. Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience and how did you resolve it.
Thanks

Bjornpdx said:
Hello,

I've been using a Kenko 1.4x Pro300 teleconverter with my Canon EF 100-400mm with pretty good results. Today, I had just taken a picture and the lens fell off the converter! Luckily I had the lens firmly in hand and the 30D strapped around my neck.

Checking it out later, I noticed that the release on the converter is very easy to engage--just a slight push on it is enough to release the lens. So I must have bumped into it accidentally and then twisted the lens off by adjusting the tightening ring. I'm thinking of holding the release button in place with a piece of electrician's tape or something.

I've never seen this issue mentioned anywhere. Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience and how did you resolve it.
Thanks

Weren't you lucky!

My Canon 1.4x extender was bought used, was OK optically, but for a time I put up with the locking pin being stiff and not jumping in to the recess on the lens flange after a lens change. It needed a push. Eventually I removed the flange and straightened the locking pin. It now works flawlessly, and having read your note, I'm glad I attended to it.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back