Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 28th March 2007, 11:32   #1
turumti

Asahi Pentax 10 x 50 Binoculars - Any Good?

Dear Friends,

I have recently been offered a pair of used, but well maintained Asahi Pentax 10 x 50 Binoculars. These binoculars have a 5.5 degree Field of View, and according to the seller they are fully multicoated. (These are Porro prism binos).

The lenses have an amber tinge to them and the image through these glasses apears slightly bluish green. (The seller says that the lenses have anti-glare coating on them).

These binoculars have a full metal body and are supplied with a a hard case. The serial number engraved on the right monocular is No. 4835854.

I have tried, but in vain, to obtain some more information about these binoculars. So is there anyone here, who can provide me some information about these binoculars, and tell me what their specifications and features are in terms of lenses, prisms, image clarity and definition etc, and if they are really worth paying USD 120.00 for?

Thanking you all in advance.
With best regards,

Salman Ali
Old Wednesday 28th March 2007, 12:32   #2
Otto McDiesel

If you have never looked through those binoculars, don't buy them. The view is soooo blue, they feel like a pair of cheap sunglasses. If you can live with the blue image, $120 is a bit too much
Old Thursday 5th April 2007, 21:17   #3
ikw101

Quote:
Originally Posted by turumti
Dear Friends,

I have recently been offered a pair of used, but well maintained Asahi Pentax 10 x 50 Binoculars. These binoculars have a 5.5 degree Field of View, and according to the seller they are fully multicoated. (These are Porro prism binos).

The lenses have an amber tinge to them and the image through these glasses apears slightly bluish green. (The seller says that the lenses have anti-glare coating on them).

These binoculars have a full metal body and are supplied with a a hard case. The serial number engraved on the right monocular is No. 4835854.

I have tried, but in vain, to obtain some more information about these binoculars. So is there anyone here, who can provide me some information about these binoculars, and tell me what their specifications and features are in terms of lenses, prisms, image clarity and definition etc, and if they are really worth paying USD 120.00 for?

Thanking you all in advance.
With best regards,

Salman Ali
Don't buy them for birdwatching. Although they may have some historical interest you'll be far better off with the Nikon Actions 8x40 which are being practically given away at http://www.warehouseexpress.com/.

Regards

Ian
Old Friday 6th April 2007, 02:12   #4
jjg213

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikw101
Don't buy them for birdwatching. Although they may have some historical interest you'll be far better off with the Nikon Actions 8x40 which are being practically given away at http://www.warehouseexpress.com/.

Regards

Ian
Hi, The only reference to "Asahi" Pentax binoculars with the specifications you list, is in cataloguing from the mid 1960's. Therefore it would be extremely unlikely that they would be multi-coated. They are also stated to have a "Coated Interference Filter" which is said to eliminate ultraviolet and infrared light rays which may be harmful to the eyes, which, no doubt, was what interfered with Luca when he looked through a pair of them! I also agree with Ian, they may be of some historical interest, but for the money you can find several bins that would be superior to them for birding.
Regards, John

Last edited by jjg213 : Friday 6th April 2007 at 02:24.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: