• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Starting from scratch- Dryslwyn's first sketchbook. (1 Viewer)

This is looking so good Wendy! I havent yet tried a composition painting from a photo but I'm beginning to think it would be a good idea for me as it would be very good practice with water colour - it does take a lot of patience though and not sure I have that at the moment! I can just about do a bird, just about do a landscape but putting the two together .... LOL

I don't have alot of patience myself- usually more with the bird than with the background. This photo was a nightmare of twigs,leaves and reflections. You don't have to copy it though do you- just use what interests you. I think the skill comes in knowing what to leave out - I am trying hard to draw inspiration from a photo and not to slavishly copy it.
This was hard and I am not too happy with it but at least I finished it and did like the baby so I am going to try a 'baby picture'.

Attachments

• moorhen3.jpg
    moorhen3.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 83
colour, light and tone are all excellent Wendy. I like it a lot, you're not allowed to like your own pictures, it's the unwritten law that the longer you spend on them and the more you put into them the less you like them at the end. I really like it!

colour, light and tone are all excellent Wendy. I like it a lot, you're not allowed to like your own pictures, it's the unwritten law that the longer you spend on them and the more you put into them the less you like them at the end. I really like it!

Thanks Nick and well said.

Thanks all - I must have captured something of what drew me to the scene. The light was glorious that day. I haven't really had chance to get out much since then or the weather hasn't been good. Going down to South Pembs for the day tomorrow and hope to - no intend -doing some sketching. Will post some of my field scribbles.

Effin' brilliant! Wish I had half the hold on the medium that you have -- it'd be a muddy, overworked mess in my hands. Love the birds, the shadows, the reflections. Great piece!

I'm with all the others, it's a real beauty Wendy. Such an ordinary subject treated in such an unusual and interesting way. Well done indeed!

Woody

Thankyou for the comments. I must say I find it easier to work up a painting from a photo in the relative peace and quite of my room at home - having teething joys with my new puppy- than working in big open spaces.I seem to lose all confidence- but want to persevere.
Thought I'd stick to my plan of looking at one bird at a time- its the turn of the curlew . Went down west to south gower yesterday and spent time at Broad Haven, Stackpole and Angle. Unfortunately we couldn't get to Stack Rocks and The Green Bridge of Wales because helicopters were firing bullets! If you aren't familiar with this area do go - its great coastal scenery and lots of birds. Check the military aren't on manouvers first though.
Anyway sketched some curlew thr the scope- less said the better! and did some quick drawings from the sceen this morning.
Going to go to my books next and then hope to do a painting.

Attachments

• curlew1.jpg
    curlew1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 57
  • curlew2.jpg
    curlew2.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 55
  • curlew3.jpg
    curlew3.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 64
  • curlew4.jpg
    curlew4.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Broad haven.jpg
    Broad haven.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 69
Certainly looking forward to seeing a painting come out of these, you've got some wonderful poses there.

lovely set of sketches Wendy - I particularly like the ones you did through the scope (if I'm right in guessing they are the simple out lines) so few marks says so much!

lovely set of sketches Wendy - I particularly like the ones you did through the scope (if I'm right in guessing they are the simple out lines) so few marks says so much!

Yes they were thr the scope and thanks for your comments- I agree that just a few lines can be very effective and I really want to improve my field work . At present I feel pretty inadequate- but am enjoying the experience and I do learn alot about the birds by looking so hard. It sounds like the usual excuse but just don't get the time to practise. Must get out more|:d|

Hi Wendy,
A bit late on this one but the water colour of the coot is wonderful.The way you handled the water is just sooooo skillfull. Well done.
Steve

Had a lovely day today- went with Chris to the trout fishery and I had all day to sit, draw and paint the scenery -can't be bad! Took some time to get to know the coots- I'll post some scribbles later as I have to do a bit of work for tommorow first - pay back time|:(|
Did take a pic of my 'sketching stuff' since I missed out on that thread. I have opticron scope and bins and have a brill camera case that takes my Canon EOS and a 300mm lens, A5 cartridge and watercolour sketchbooks , small field guide, very small cotman watercolour set, minature bottle of water, brushes,pencils,rubber,tissues,cheap reading glasses, small purse and my bins on top- a veritable tardis infact. I don't always take the scope so find this little lot quite managable and not too heavy when some stuff is round my neck. Only wish I got to use it more often.

Attachments

• Img_3608.jpg
    Img_3608.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Img_3609.jpg
    Img_3609.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 70
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back