• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bunch of Dove feathers scattered throughout yard (1 Viewer)

rascal66

I have a question that involves either a Ring-necked Dove, or a White-tipped Dove.
This morning as I venture outside my backyard, I find huge patches of feathers scattered on one side of my yard. They seem to be in good and healthy shape but I began to worry whether or not this dove was hurt or whatnot. The feathers seemed to be from the inside of the wing due to the size which is my guess.

My question: was this a sign of an injured or sick Dove? An attack? Or some form of malting?

Do you have any cats in the area? Because if they're very clustered, I'd say this might be from an attack, unfortunately.

If this was from molting or an illness, they'd be a lot more scattered.

Do you have any cats in the area? Because if they're very clustered, I'd say this might be from an attack, unfortunately.

If this was from molting or an illness, they'd be a lot more scattered.

Thank you for your response. Thankfully, I don't have a cat near the area, but I do have a dog. Though she is always watched. Some feathers where together, and a few others where near but still a few feet away. Some were still stuck together as if If was still on the Bird. There were also very few wing feathers scattered away from each other.

Maybe a hawk?
I have hawks that regularly visit - and take a dove or squirrel from time to time. I place seed for the dove and other ground eating birds close to some bushes to provide some protection.
When I find a large amount of feathers - tufts of feathers strewn over the yard - it is a good indicator that this hawk found his meal.

Attachments

• HawkandSquirrel.jpg
    HawkandSquirrel.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 119
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back