• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gretna Starlings (1 Viewer)

James Thomas

Spending Christmas at Center Parcs Penrith and thought I'd take a trip up to Gretna to witness the starling roost. Best viewpoint/time most appreciated.

James

Penrith has a pretty impressive starling roost of its own - not as big as Gretna but awesome in its own right.

Mike

James

Penrith has a pretty impressive starling roost of its own - not as big as Gretna but awesome in its own right.

Mike

That would be far handier, anywhere in particular?

Should be a steady drive Keith, motorways all bust the first and last couple of miles. Thanks anyway.

Cheers.

That would be far handier, anywhere in particular?

Should be a steady drive Keith, motorways all bust the first and last couple of miles. Thanks anyway.

Cheers.
The best views I have had are from the A66 bypass but probably anywhere on the south side of town would do. It seems to vary a lot - maybe the birds from there join the Gretna roost on some nights. When it's good, it's fantastic.

Something else that you might want to check out is a pied wagtail roost in a small tree at the end of Great Dockray car park. I used to see it in the winter but have only just moved back to the area so don't know whether it's still active or not. It was very impressive - the tree looked to be in full leaf, with every leaf a wagtail.

Does anyone know if it's still there?

Mike

A big "No Show" last night, arrived 14.45hrs parking up at small pull in on East side of motorway, very few birds anywhere, then on dusk from 15.55hrs groups started arriving some 2-300 strong but almost all dived straight into cover in their usual roost site in wood. Estimate 2500-3000 birds in total. 6 Buzzards perched on conifer tops.

Chatting to a local who told me several thousand have been seen going into a barn to roost over last few days, some 1/2 mile north of where we parked.

Begs the question is the roost breakup a result of the extreme and prolonged sub zero temperatures? or is this just a one off!

Seasons Greetings All

Stewart

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back