• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grey Wagtail Roosting Habits (1 Viewer)

dcweather

I am thrilled to have a Grey Wagtail visiting my garden for the first time. My garden and the ones backing on are about 80 ft each so the length of the road gives a fair size "green patch" in the middle of a housing estate. Bearing in mind my pond is only 5ft by 3ft with a small waterfall I was surprised to see the Grey Wagtail take such a shine to it. Anyway what I would like to know is where do these birds roost? Is it in a tree, a shrub or hidden on the ground? The reason I ask is I watched this bird by the pond for an hour before sunset then it suddenly vanished in the fading light and I didn't see it fly off.
Dave, S.Essex

The only Grey Wagtail roost i've seen during winter had birds roosting in trees/low bushes overhanging the water. If you didn't see the bird fly off, the chances are it roosted in the garden. Generally my birds roosted about 20 mins before dusk.

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back