• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Walking around the Hula Reserve, Israel. RFI. (1 Viewer)

Bubbs

It is ten years since I last visited the Hula in northern Israel. Can anyone tell me if it is still possible to walk around the flooded area to the north? There was some talk that the only way you could access the reserve was by hired vehicles and access on foot was no longer possible. I could be wrong.

John.

Hulla

Hello!
There is a place called Agmon which is actually the floded area north of the Hulla reserve- its a beautifull place with many birds and attractions . i was just there 2 weeks ago and so many cranes, water birds and raptors. You can go by foot or hire a golf vehicle or bicycles.
I attach a link with some more information for you:
http://www.agamon-hula.co.il/index
Please feel free to ask more and i will do my best to help you.
In adittion there is a nice ringing station there which you can visit.
You can also have a look at my website for some more information:
http://www.carmelbirdingtours.com
Best Regards

Carmelzit, Many thanks for your help, that is exactly what I wanted to hear. I will be getting a flight from Manchester to Tel Aviv and hire a car for the week. I will stay up at Ramot Naftali in a B&B just like the old days ;) Will take a look at your web sites.

Once again...many thanks.

John.

It is ten years since I last visited the Hula in northern Israel. Can anyone tell me if it is still possible to walk around the flooded area to the north?

Last time I was there access was completely open. It's an excellent area to bird in winter, I recall, with plenty of raptors and cranes.

I agree with Carmelzit - the Agmon reserve is superb. Seriously, hiring a golf buggy is an excellent way to scoot around - they are quiet and allow you to see the entire reserve very easily without carrying heavy kit around with you. I've been twice now in September and the birds are quality. It has to be my favourite bird reserve anywhere.

Bubbs

The entire Hula Valley is rich in birdlife and home to many thousands of wintering birds including internationally important numbers of Common Cranes, Greater Spotted Eagles and Marbled Ducks.

The Agmon reserve to the north is one of the best ornithological locations in the Western Palearctic and an early morning round there is terrific, with large numbers of egrets and herons, White Pelicans and Greater Flamingoes in spring, over 7,000 Common Cranes ad phenomenal numbers of birds of prey, including many thousands of Black Kites.

The area is also littered with fish ponds which are a magnet to birds in spring and autumn and also good for species such as Pygmy Cormorant, dabbling ducks, crakes, Penduline Tits, Kingfishers and Clamorous Reed Warblers

The Hula Reserve proper is also very good for birding and well laid-out with its boardwalks and hides etc

Bubbs

The entire Hula Valley is rich in birdlife and home to many thousands of wintering birds including internationally important numbers of Common Cranes, Greater Spotted Eagles and Marbled Ducks.

The Agmon reserve to the north is one of the best ornithological locations in the Western Palearctic and an early morning round there is terrific, with large numbers of egrets and herons, White Pelicans and Greater Flamingoes in spring, over 7,000 Common Cranes ad phenomenal numbers of birds of prey, including many thousands of Black Kites.

The area is also littered with fish ponds which are a magnet to birds in spring and autumn and also good for species such as Pygmy Cormorant, dabbling ducks, crakes, Penduline Tits, Kingfishers and Clamorous Reed Warblers

The Hula Reserve proper is also very good for birding and well laid-out with its boardwalks and hides etc

Thanks Lee. I have actually been to the Hula many times but my last visit was just before they reflooded the new area (not that new any more) On my last vist the kite roost at Gonen held 6,000 Black Kites every evening and on spring mornings the passage of many thousands of White Stork was as spectacular as the Honey Buzzard passage in early May down at Eilat. I was unsure as to access but it seems that entry is still straight forward.

Thanks to all for their input.

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back