• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pigeon / Dove Tower (1 Viewer)

Susan C

Hello! I'm looking for information regarding a"pigeon or dove tower", as requested by our boss. He says:

pigeon tower is very common in uk .

it is about 10 feet in diameter and 30 - 40 feet high . like a like light house .

i have not seen one in canada yet . may be weather in winter ? .

if it works it is almost maintenance free .

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Here is North America we are usually looking for ways to get rid of them!

Sounds like a dovecote, something like this one and quite reminiscent of a Purple Martin nesting box. People keep their fancy doves in them (often pure white). I wouldn't say they were very common in the UK though, I've only ever seen the odd one!

Attachments

• dove%20cote%201.jpg
    dove%20cote%201.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 50
;Big dovecots - as per Jos' link - were used from the middle ages onward as a constant supply of fresh meat etc. with eggs, squab and adults being harvested. Makes me wonder what your boss wants, particularly as you mention how you try and get rid of pigeons in N. America - hmmmmmmmmmm.;)

Chris

Thanks all for your help! My boss is actually Iranian, and I've found that there are some terrific examples from Persia of these things. I doubt there are any similar things in Canada, so we may be the first!
Not sure he'd want to eat the pigeons, it could be a nostalgia thing for him.

Ah, well, I'm wrong - from Wikipedia:
Dovecotes of North AmericaIn the U.S. an alternative English name for dovecotes is derived from the French: pigeonaire. This word is more common than "dovecote" in Louisiana and other areas with heavy Francophonic heritage.

Québec City, Canada, has a pigeonnier which stands in a square in Old Québec; the Pigeonnier is also the name of the square itself where street artists present their shows.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back