• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scolt Head Island (1 Viewer)

Arbu

I took a canoe out yesterday to visit Scolt Head Island. An amazingly secluded place for southern England and apart from four horse riders I don't think there was anyone else apart from me on the island.

On arriving at the west end of the island I was surprised to see a covey of Red-legged Partridges - thought they were more farmland birds.

Then a walk over to the beach produced a falcon sitting on a rock near the SS Vina. It was big - in fact I thought it was a heron when I first saw it. And although I wasn't able to get very close to it before it flew off and out of sight there seemed to be no sign of a Peregrine's moustache, and its back seemed to be a paler grey than that of a Peregrine. So it really looked quite good for a Gyr. I'd still think it probably wasn't though because my views of it were quite brief and I'm not familiar with Gyrs, but it would certainly be worth anyone else in the area looking out for it.

Then walking along the beach I saw a lot of sea-duck including a big flock of Common Scoter, a pair of Velvet Scoter, a flock of Scaup and flocks of Wigeon (do Wigeon land on the sea? Whatever they were looked liked Wigeon and landed on the sea, but I wasn't aware that Wigeon did this). Also a nice flock of about 50 Snow Buntings flew along the beach over me. Then four Marsh Harriers flying out to sea towards Lincolnshire. Also several groups of Gannets, all heading west, and a couple of auks, probably Guillemots, and a small flock of Knot sitting on the beach.

Nothing very exciting on the landward side of the island, just Curlew, Redshank and some Reed Buntings but overall I was very pleased with my day.

Last edited:
it seems you had quite a good day. as for the widgeon, I've seen them on bays but never the open ocean. I don't think it would be too unusual , though

Brings back great memories, I lived on Scolt Head [providing this is the one off North Norfolk] during the summer of 1989 as one of the tern wardens.

Brings back great memories, I lived on Scolt Head [providing this is the one off North Norfolk] during the summer of 1989 as one of the tern wardens.

Oh yes, perhaps should have mentioned that this was in Norfolk.

One of my favourite places, first visited Scolt Head island as a non birding school boy in1963. love to walk across from B.O.S.
Another warden Gordon Howell, assistant to the late Bob Chesney, lives in Australia.
I have a small collection of interesting books about Scolt Head Island.3 copies of "Blakeney Point and Scolt Head Island pub National Trust, 1964, 1976 and 1986 editions.
Turner, E.L.(1928) Birdwatching on Scolt Head Island
Sreers, J.A. (1960) Scolt Head Island (2nd edition)
Bob Chestney (1993) Island of Terns

Red legged partridges bred on Scolt Head Island and Blakeney Point and the latest Norfolk Bird Atlas indicates they are still present.
A few years ago I met some academics and students carrying out their research and was privileged to be invited into "the Hut".

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back