• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler near Trinidad, Cuba (1 Viewer)

That's a very dull Cape May Warbler. Not the fine bill and grayish plumage. Any Prairie Warbler would be brighter yellow below.

Andy

That's a very dull Cape May Warbler. Not the fine bill and grayish plumage. Any Prairie Warbler would be brighter yellow below.

Andy

The bird looks pretty good for Prairie to me.

The bill seems fine for Prairie.

Usually I expect either one wing bar or a wing patch on Cape May, not two wing bars. When there are two wing bars, the upper one is bolder than the lower one, which is the opposite on this bird.

Generally I would expect a bit more yellow on the face in Cape May (not always true, as well as a weaker eye-ring.

On a Cape May, I would expect the underpart streaking not to be restricted to the flanks, as on this bird, but rather extend across the chest as well as the flanks.

I saw a photo online showing a Prairie with a similar amount of yellow underneath.

I am going to change my mind and agree with Prairie. On the undertail it looks like the white extends to at least the undertail coverts; the white it more restricted on Cape May. And the underparts streaking is not as heavy as expected for Cape May. The lack of yellow below may be a photographic artifact (or my monitor). Here are a couple photos of dull specimens at the Florida Museum of Natural History

Attachments

• warbler2.jpg
    warbler2.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 21
  • warbler1.jpg
    warbler1.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 16
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back