• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Step Up/Down Rings (1 Viewer)

IanMcG

United Kingdom
Hi,
I've just purchased a Ricoh Caplio GX100 and need to "connect" the HA-2 Adapter to the Swarovski DCA Adapter - am I right in getting a step down ring 62mm to 43mm? I know the HA-2 Adapter is 43mm (I have ordered it but not received it yet). Someone told me that the DCA Adapter is actually a 64mm thread but I'm not so sure. Can anyone please help?

Thanks for your reply, Paul. I'm happy with the 43mm end of it, just that I hadn't seen any step rings quoting 64mm, just 62mm. Was I right in it being a step-down ring rather than a step-up ring?

Ah yes, in my haste I misread the question, sorry.

With step up and step down rings the first number is always the number that screws into the camera which in your case is 43mm. The second number is for the mating part. So if the second number is bigger it's a step up ring and if the second number is smaller it will be a step down.

Is your DCA adapter like this one? Click here. They all have the thread size written on them. If it's a male thread like the ones on the link then you can measure very carefully across the diameter of the thread with a ruler. If it's 62mm then it will read near enough dead on 62mm on the ruler. In fact it will just a fraction under 62mm as the threads are always machined a tiny bit under size so that they screw into the female thread freely. If it's 64mm you should be able to gauge a difference of 2mm with a ruler. It sounds as though your DCA is bigger than the 43mm so it will be a step up ring.

If you ever need a ring with male thread on both sides then that's called a macro coupler.

Paul.

That's great, thanks Paul. I do have the Swarovski DCA but the rings that came with it cover almost all size options but the ones I need! Anyway, I'm now quite happy about what I need to buy, so thank you very much for your crash course in step-up rings, much appreciated.
By the way, I don't know whether I was more impressed with your bird shots or your landscape paintings, very different mediums but equally amazing results!

Thanks Ian.

I sit in the end of my garage and paint all day and the scope sits just outside the garage door. As you can imagine a fair bit of time is spent taking photos through the scope when I should be working. My wife is always tapping on the kitchen window. :t:

Paul.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back