• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Veagle's 2012 List (1 Viewer)

Went on a weekend trip to the Laramie, Wyoming area, where I looked hard for Mountain Plover, and McCown's Longspur. Found the Plover, missed the Longspur, and added 35 birds or so to my Wyoming list. Also picked up a bonus on the way home today.

August 17, Hutton Lakes NWR, Wyoming

391. Mountain Plover

August 18, Snowy Range Mts., Wyoming

392. American Pipit

August 19, Hill City, SD

393. Osprey

Last edited:
I went on a long drive yesterday (about 400 miles) to the northwestern part of the state, Shadehill Reservoir Recreation Area. Highlights of the day included a prairie dog village with 15 Burrowing Owls, some Chestnut-collared Longspurs, good looks at a Sora, and a Marsh Wren.

Today, our feeders were quite busy, with Western Tanagers, Black-headed Grosbeaks, Pine Siskin, and a newcomer to my yard.

August 25 - Perkins County, SD

394. Marsh Wren

August 26 - Rapid City, SD

395. Ruby-throated Hummingbird

A nice cool early morning at Hammerquist Rd., after some very hot weather the last few days (a high of 107F - 41.5C yesterday). I saw a group of about 13 Gray Partridge, and a nice mixed feeding flock, which included Orange-crowned, Yellow, and Wilson's Warblers, American Redstart, and Least Flycatcher. Other highlights included Warbling Vireo, Yellow-breasted Chat, Bullock's Oriole, and House Wren.

August 30 - Pennington County, SD

396. Wilson's Warbler

Last evening I took a walk around Jackson Park, hoping to see some warblers. It was a nice evening, with a fair amount of activity. I got really good looks at an Ovenbird, more out in the open than usual. Then a mixed flock got my attention, and I saw more Wilson's Warblers, Red-Eyed and Warbling Vireos, and a Least Flycatcher. But the most interesting bird seen were two small warblers with distinct wing bars, eye-rings, and very bright yellow throat and belly. I will try to relocate it, but after studying numerous illustrations, I believe it to be a Northern Parula, which is a new State bird for me!

August 30 - Jackson Park, Pennington County, SD

397. Northern Parula

A nice morning at Hammerquist Rd., with highlights including my first State Fox Sparrow, White-crowned, Lincoln's, Field, Savannah, and Clay-colored Sparrows, a group of about 100 Yellow-headed Blackbirds, and a nice Nashville Warbler.

September 16 - Pennington County

398. Nashville Warbler

I got up very early yesterday and made the 2 - 1/2 hour drive to LaCreek National Wildlife Refuge. Because it has been so dry here in Western South Dakota, there was much less water than usual, but the birds were great. The highlight was a juvenile Yellow-crowned Night Heron, never seen at this location before, as well, as a few American Bitterns, a Juvenile White-faced Ibis, Virginia Rail, even an early Bald Eagle. 62 species in all - very nice morning.

September 22 - Bennet County, SD

399. American Bittern
400. Yellow-crowned Night Heron

I have also added some photos from our trip to Arizona, for anyone who might be interested.

Attachments

• LaCreek092212019.jpg
    LaCreek092212019.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 1-LaCreek092212002.jpg
    1-LaCreek092212002.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
I recently started to review eBird sightings for parts of Western SD, and an individual living only a half mile away contacted me with a sighting of a White-throated Sparrow, no big deal most places east of here, but I had not yet seen one in South Dakota. Went over to their place, and there it was.

Sept. 23 - Rapid City, SD

401. White-throated Sparrow

I've been in Chicago for a few days, first at a meeting, then visiting our son, who lives here. My first Illinois birding this morning - really nice places for warblers - Yellow Rumped, Palm, Blackpoll, Cape May, American Redstart, Northern Parula, and Northern Waterthrush, and some other highlights Rose-breasted Grosbeak,and Swamp Sparrow.

Sept.29 - Chicago, Ill

402. Magnolia Warbler
403. Palm Warbler
404. Cape May Warbler
405. Northern Waterthursh
406. Swamp Sparrow
407. Gray-cheeked Thrush
408. Winter Wren

My wife and I were in Sioux Falls, SD for the weekend. We managed to do a bit of birding. On Saturday morning, I birded the Great Bear Recreation Area. Highlight was a nice Blue-headed Vireo, a state bird for me. Then this morning, we went north of town to a new County Park, Bucher Praire, a very nice native prarie area that had some nice Sparrows. We had excellent views of Harris's,Song, and Savannah, and had a couple of Nelson's Sparrows, a US bird for me.

October 6 - Sioux Falls, SD

409. Blue-headed Vireo

October 7 - Bucher Prairie Park, Sioux Falls, SD

410. Nelson's Sparrow
411. Harris's Sparrow

I traveled out to Pierre, SD with a friend. We had a great sparrow day, with good looks at Harris's, Savannah, American Tree, Swamp (a state bird for me), Lincoln's, White-crowned, Song, and the highlight of the day, a single Le Conte's Sparrow. Also had a noisy fly-over by a good-sized group of Sandhill Cranes.

October 13 - Pierre, SD area

412. Le Conte's Sparrow
413. Sandhill Crane

I am in Palm Springs, California for conference. I arrived on Tuesday and spent a couple of hours in the middle of the afternoon at Big Morongo Preserve, basically an oasis in the desert. It was fairly quiet, except for the squawking Western Scrub-Jays. Tomorrow, I will make a return trip to the Salton Sea, where I went three years ago. This time, no guide, and a lot hotter. I just hope to see a lot of birds - will see what shows up.

October 16 - Big Morongo Preserve, San Bernardino County, CA

414. Mountain Chickadee
415. Cassin's Vireo
416. California Towhee

Another long, brutal day at the Salton Sea. By 8 am, the temperature was in the 90s, and it probably peaked near 100F. Despite the heat, I spent the full day traveling around the area. Really a unique place. Highlights of the day include a life-bird, Clapper Rail, heard well at Unit #1, both in the early morning, and the end of the day, Yellow-footed Gull, a Barn Owl sleeping in a Palm Tree, Vermillion Flycatcher, Ross's Goose, and just the multitude of birds. Always a special day at the Salton Sea.

Oct. 19 - Salton Sea, CA

417. Clapper Rail
418. Snowy Egret
419. Laughing Gull
420. Ruddy Turnstone
421. Brown Pelican
422. Caspian Tern
423. Yellow-footed Gull
424. Ross's Goose

Last edited:
I'm in New Jersey, due to my Mother's failing health. Needed to get away for a bit, and went to Conaskonk Point, in Monmouth County, and Union Beach, nearby. Highlight was good looks at Saltmarsh Sparrow, as well as a handful of Royal Terns, on the beach.

October 25 - Monmouth County, NJ

425. Saltmarsh Sparrow
426. Great Black-backed Gull
427. Royal Tern

I went out early this morning, hoping to find some Pinyon Jays in Custer State Park. No luck on that, but did find the endemic sub-species of the Dark-eyed Junco that is only seen here in South Dakota. Then I went for a hike on the Harney Peak trail. Harney is the highest point in SD, and get this, we tell people the highest point between the Rockies and the Alps. Anyway, I didn't have to go too far, when I found my other target for the day, American Three-toed Woodpecker. Only the second time I've seen it, and the first time in South Dakota, so I was very excited about it.

November 3 - Custer County, SD

428. American Three-toed Woodpecker

We had our first real snow of the season this morning, and I drove out to a remote area by our airport. Saw a Great Horned Owl, a very late Western Meadowlark, and a large mixed group of Horned Larks and Lapland Longspurs.

November 10 - Pennington County, SD

429. Lapland Longspur

Well, I'm in New Jersey again, helping to care for my Mom. Today was quite the day. Actually started last night when my 93 year old Dad, fell in our home. Found out today he has a small fracture of his patella. My Mom, meanwhile is getting ready to return home for the Thanksgiving week (next week). Really crazy day. I had hoped to get out early tomorrow morning to do some birding but that isn't going to be possible, since many of my favorite places along the Shore are inaccessible due to Sandy, and we have too much to do to arrange for my mother. The one tiny consolation this morning was spying a Tufted Titmouse in our backyard, along with a Cardinal and a Junco. A routine bird for NJ, but one I hadn't seen this year until today.

November 15 - Edison, NJ

430. Tufted Titmouse

Back home, a little under the weather but went out with a friend this morning for some local birding. Highlights included Cackling Duck, Common Redpoll, Snow Goose, and Lewis's Woodpecker.

Nov. 18 - Meade County, SD

431. Common Redpoll

I have been in NJ this past weekend, visiting my ailing parents. And since they sleep late, and I get up early, I drove down to Barnegat Lighthouse this morning for a couple of hours of great birding. Some really nice birds - Common Eider, Harlequin Duck, Black Scoter, both Black-backed Gulls, and even a group of Snow Buntings.

It was also something to see the impact of Sandy on Long Beach Island, incredible. Piles of debris everywhere.

December 9 - Barnegat Lighthouse, NJ

432. Purple Sandpiper
433. Common Eider
434. Lesser Black-backed Gull
435. Northern Gannet
436. Black Scoter
437. Snow Bunting

We are at our place in Santa Fe, NM for the Holiday week. Haven't been here since March, and went out into the arroyo this morning for a walk. Quite birdy, and also quite cold. A nice group of birds including Canyon and Spotted Towhees, Mountain and Western Bluebirds, a Cassin's Finch (new state bird!), and White-throated and White-crowned Sparrows. Very nice morning.

438. Cassin's Finch
439. Western Bluebird

I visited the Randall Davey Center, which was closed to business, but i got in, and looked around. First Wild Turkey for Santa Fe County, and finally saw a Pinyon Jay.

December 26 - Santa Fe, NM

440. Pinyon Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back