• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Focus Wheel - Normal? (1 Viewer)

payj

Is it normal for the focus wheel on the HD+ to have a slight skip if turned all the way to the right and when you bring it back to the left have a slight skip before it goes smooth again? Trying this turning it all the way over the left, then back to the right it does not do it.

It is buttery smooth in general though.

Strangely, after refocusing the diopter, it no long does it? Weird.

Another question:

I seemed to have turned the diopter too far around and when I got the right eye in focus, the main focus was IMPOSSIBLE to make clear. The problem was the diopter was turned around too far. I had to spin it around one whole revolution to get it back on point. This is a newb error for sure, but you would think they would have a max distance you could turn it to the left or right - maybe with red hashes?? - that way this could not happen. So is this a common thing with this particular diopter?

Edit:

Playing around with them there is a stop. Guess I screwed up some how. fng.

Still not sure why the wheel has a skip and now does not. Maybe something was not popped into place? Who knows.

Last edited:
1st question : A new bins focuser could be stiff, but loosen over time.
2ns question: To adjust the diopter of UV, you have to pull it up first.

The Ultravid allows you to adjust both eyes at the same time. Pop up the diopter and each wheel adjusts a different side. It becomes intuitive after a few tries. Don't forget to pop it closed or things will get interesting in a hurry!

Having said that, I always start at 0 diopter and bird for awhile to see if I'm happy. If not, I move 1 click (+ or -) and see what happens. If the image worsens, I return to 0, knowing I went in the wrong direction. Eventually, I find the right way to go and precisely how far. I've determined that my eyes aren't what they used to be (duh) and sometimes I just have to click left or right one or more notches to obtain a relaxed view. Psychologically, however, I want 0 diopter to be the correct setting for all my bins because, "that's the way it should be." Well, some are and some aren't. C'est La Bin.

The Ultravid allows you to adjust both eyes at the same time. Pop up the diopter and each wheel adjusts a different side. It becomes intuitive after a few tries. Don't forget to pop it closed or things will get interesting in a hurry!

Having said that, I always start at 0 diopter and bird for awhile to see if I'm happy. If not, I move 1 click (+ or -) and see what happens. If the image worsens, I return to 0, knowing I went in the wrong direction. Eventually, I find the right way to go and precisely how far. I've determined that my eyes aren't what they used to be (duh) and sometimes I just have to click left or right one or more notches to obtain a relaxed view. Psychologically, however, I want 0 diopter to be the correct setting for all my bins because, "that's the way it should be." Well, some are and some aren't. C'est La Bin.

That is the way I do it.

The diopter usually ends up somewhere around -1 (give or take a little) for me but I have an LX L where it goes to the + side. Diopters aren't always alike or set up precisely.

Bob

Interesting. I did not know they worked independently. I thought you pull it out, adjust the right eye, close it and adjust for the left.

SO the small focus wheel adjusts the right - on its own. The large focus wheel the left - on its own - but when snapped back into place they work together - right?

(ultravid HD +) Is it normal, when i turn the diopter (after pulling out) the turning smoother in 1 direction than the other ? When normal focussing its the same in every direction.

1) if the dreaded focus wheel freeplay that plagued the original Ultravids is back, it doesn't get better, it just gets worse (I thought it was fixed with the HDs); I hope your initial comment didn't highlight the return of this flaw.
2) I seem to remember Leica mentioning in the instruction manual for the original UVs not to turn the diopter ring all the way around lest you screw things up.

1) if the dreaded focus wheel freeplay that plagued the original Ultravids is back, it doesn't get better, it just gets worse (I thought it was fixed with the HDs); I hope your initial comment didn't highlight the return of this flaw.

i don't think that was the problem in the first post, and it was a user error .

2) I seem to remember Leica mentioning in the instruction manual for the original UVs not to turn the diopter ring all the way around lest you screw things up.
It is fixed with the HDs. I have a pair of 7x42 Ultravid HDs Superb a joy to use

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back