• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ship assisted (1 Viewer)

Steve

Staff member
United Kingdom
I ask because I have just crossed the Atlantic Copenhagen to Miami, stopping at the Azores and Bermuda, and the ship was awash with birds, even miles from land and Im talking hundred of miles, there were Birds flying around the top decks, small finch like birds, bigger blackbird sized birds, and a falcon which stayed with us for 6 days, The Weather was Rough at times 70mph winds and 6 metre waves, especially as we went through the tail end of ophelia way out past lands end. I filmed the Falcon or Hawk on my iPhone i'll upload it when I can, I suspect many of the smaller birds died, they kept flying off bravely only to return half an hour or so later having given up looking for land.

There was rain water to drink, but food save from the open area on deck must of been scarce, I tried to get pics of the little birds but they were way up high or hidden away somewhere.

So having seen small birds 1500 miles from land, I was wondering what % of migrants got to the Uk Via a ship, I have to say they looked so out of place fluttering against strong winds over the open Atlantic.

If we knew how long birds can survive without food, we could narrow down the uncertainty.
Passenger ships take a week or so to cross the Atlantic iirc, not sure a small passerine can cope with that.

Hope you enjoyed your cruise.
I've seen Greenland Wheatears hitching a ride crossing from Greenland to Iceland.
Travelling from Southampton to the Azores two Collared Doves stayed with us for 3 days. By the time they left us they were in the middle of the Atlantic, so who knows where they ended up.
This year an exhausted Manx Shearwater took refuge on the passenger deck of the Oriana off Lanzarote. It only stayed overnight before flying away.
A few Meadow Pipit have been spotted on the prom deck but they haven't stayed too long.
I've noticed a few Turnstone following the ship for a short while before disappearing.They fly low near the bows of the ship.
The most remarkable passenger was a homing pigeon. We were on our way to Spitsbergen.
The owner released it in Newcastle. As we sailed off the north east coast it joined us on board. It stayed with us for two weeks, fed and watered by the staff and passengers.
The captain contacted the owner and agreed to arrange its return by courier when we arrived back in Southampton.
It didn't make it that far. Even though we were miles off Newcastle, on the return leg, and the coast couldn't be seen from the boat, the pigeon abandoned ship and flew off!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back