• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Konica Minolta 7D (1 Viewer)

Ron Houser

Has anyone had any experience using the Konica-Minolta 7D slr camera with a spotting scope for digiscoping? After ordering the T-adaptor and the scope adaptor for my Pentax PF-80ED scope, I tried it out using the 20-60X zoom eyepiece. The results were less than satisfactory, however, with poor image quality on the edges and very noticable chromatic abberation. From what I have been reading in the forums, I should use a fixed eyepiece rather than the zoom. Of course, the Pentax 20mm XW eyepiece seems to be the reference standard, but it's just too expensive. So, I'm probably going to order an Orion Stratus 17mm eyepiece, which would give me about 29X magnification on the scope (480mm focal length divided by 17mm). It has a wide 68 degree field of view (as compared to the Pentax's 70 degree) and 20mm of eye relief, which is better than some others. Another question: Has anyone used this eyepiece on their scopes and also used it for digiscoping? For $96.00 at Amazon, it seems to be a reasonable, and cheaper alternative to the higher priced eyepieces.
RH

I have used aOrion stratus 13mm eyepiece with a CP4500 and fuji S5100 both handheld in a Pentax PF80A. As opposed to the XW20, the orion eyepiece does not have a thread so a simple step-up ring can not be used. It will require an extra adapter, or another solution that I have not thought of. I'm curious to what ""T-adaptor and scope adaptor"" you refer to. Jose

t-adaptor

mmdnje said:
I have used aOrion stratus 13mm eyepiece with a CP4500 and fuji S5100 both handheld in a Pentax PF80A. As opposed to the XW20, the orion eyepiece does not have a thread so a simple step-up ring can not be used. It will require an extra adapter, or another solution that I have not thought of. I'm curious to what ""T-adaptor and scope adaptor"" you refer to. Jose

Jose,
The T-adaptor fits into my Minolta SLR camera lens mount in place of the lens. Then, another adaptor screws into it and also clamps onto the eyepiece of the spotting scope using thumb screws. In other words, I am not using the camera lens, only the scope lens. Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back