• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bienvenue 'chez Nick' (1 Viewer)

first time the watercolour have been outside in a long time, but this was just too good an opportunity to throw away. Sadly, there were so many people about wreaking havoc by walking dogs, children, bikes, quadbikes and dishclothesque-rat-canines all around the place - including in the area they're not allowed, I thought it best not to encourage people to enquire as to what I was painting, and quickly knocked this one out from the boot of Zippy whilst glaring psychopathically at anyone who was going to pop over with a nice 'bonjour'. The level of disturbance today was shocking, so I was surprised that at 8.15pm, just as the light was almost gone, the bittern flew in again.

Attachments

• le owl nest 032.jpg
    le owl nest 032.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 82
that's a spectacular collection: finest bit of spring is when its just kicking off and before everything goes green and leafy, so much potential in the air [and on the water]

Beautiful composition that of the rooks Nick. For some reason it makes me think of Chagall. Maybe the color, the aerial view or something... We have a huge exhibition of this artist these days in Madrid.

What a fantastic field sketch Nick. I would be over the moon with the Long Eared if id of spent 4 whole days on it :-O

Quite fantastic this latest batch Nick. The Rook piece is remarkable in it's depth, though I must say it was the Lapwings and Snipe between the rust posts that blew me away, your brushstrokes and pallette here at breathtaking...

Spring is here, one might not need even go for a walk to know it, such is the imagination with which these scenes have been portrayed...

Great job on all - the rook piece is great, but I especially like the LEOW, the composition of which really suggests how well camo'd they are when they are found.

Spring is advancing and the colours are appearing, yay! (except the garganey at dawn ;))

Attachments

• paint spring 2012 001.jpg
    paint spring 2012 001.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 120
  • paint spring 2012 004.jpg
    paint spring 2012 004.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 118
Stunning, what a celebration that first piece is....so many species, so much colour...

Garganey piece is wonderful to, almost an oriental quality, incredible serene painting.

Your on top form sir...

first time the watercolour have been outside in a long time, but this was just too good an opportunity to throw away. Sadly, there were so many people about wreaking havoc by walking dogs, children, bikes, quadbikes and dishclothesque-rat-canines all around the place - including in the area they're not allowed, I thought it best not to encourage people to enquire as to what I was painting, and quickly knocked this one out from the boot of Zippy whilst glaring psychopathically at anyone who was going to pop over with a nice 'bonjour'. The level of disturbance today was shocking, so I was surprised that at 8.15pm, just as the light was almost gone, the bittern flew in again.

Hi Nick,
I can totally identify with this! I Come across it all the time here in deepest South Yorkshire, even in so-called 'protected areas'.
Fab recent works, sir! I especially love the superbly simple LEO and Bittern sketches. Your style is very much in the vein I'm now trying adopt!

Russ

Stunning, what a celebration that first piece is....so many species, so much colour...

Garganey piece is wonderful to, almost an oriental quality, incredible serene painting.

Your on top form sir...

Not much more to say than this! I am curious about that top bird though if first painting. It looks so similar to some of our thrushes.

just back in for another look at those two: never know whether to laugh (and be inspired in one's own work) or cry (and give up..) when the Derrys get posted

first one is such a joyous spring clusterbang of the birding senses

second of the Garganey a timely reminder that less can be more

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back