• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Light transmission; Classic v Victory 8x56 (1 Viewer)

CharleyBird

England
If the simpler design of the Classic 8x56 with apparently less glass and coated surfaces would lead one to expect higher light transmission, how come the Victory with more glass to air etc actually achieves a slightly higher light transmission?

Is it down to the difference in coatings or design?

I was looking at the comparisons here:
http://www.allbinos.com/index.php?test=lornetki&test_l=174

and the zeiss reviews at the end of the article here:
http://www.zeiss.de/C12567A800347580/EmbedTitelIntern/Test_Pirsch_11-06/$File/Test_Pirsch_11_2006.pdf

Regards

Andy

Andy,

Coatings improvement is really the only possible explanation. BTW, the cutaway view at the Polish site is misidentified. It shows the older 8x56 Victory, not the 8x56 FL.

Henry

Henry,
Sort of on topic, have you seen a transmission plot for the FL? I am curious about the often reported cold or blue look to this binocular, and have noticed it myself, in comparison to other binoculars which are notably red and dim, like the Leica Trinovid. Is the FL really blue, or only true, which would seem relatively blue in a comparison?
Ron

Ron,

I haven't seen a transmission plot for the FL, but I think the photo images in post #30 from the thread below show the color bias history of the FL series pretty well.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=131853

My early 8x42 FL still appears more neutral to me than recent production, which might mean that in low light it's image could look a little dimmer to the dark adapted eye from lower transmission in the blue/green.

Henry

Henry,
Thanks, I remember that now, and that FL certainly looks the most color neutral of the bunch. That was real nice work. But, your mentioning that it's an older model, presumably pre-Lotutec, brings up another question.

My FL is Lotutec, and the coating on the outer lenses reflects a reddish orange. I would even say that, considering the FLs reputation for high transmission, the intensity of the reflection, often taken as a seat of the pants indicator of transmission, is surprisingly bright. This would seem, by reflecting red light away from the objective, to make the transmitted light skewed towards the blue.

I have never seen a non Lotutec FL. My question is, is the outer non-Lotutec coating reddish like I have described?
Thanks,
Ron

My FL is Lotutec, and the coating on the outer lenses reflects a reddish orange. I would even say that, considering the FLs reputation for high transmission, the intensity of the reflection, often taken as a seat of the pants indicator of transmission, is surprisingly bright. This would seem, by reflecting red light away from the objective, to make the transmitted light skewed towards the blue.

I have never seen a non Lotutec FL. My question is, is the outer non-Lotutec coating reddish like I have described?

Ron,

Here's a photo that shows the difference in the exterior surface reflection colors between my Lotutec 8x56 FL and early 8x42 FL. The 8x56 is on the bottom and the window reflection on the right comes the exterior surface. The eyepiece exterior surfaces show the same difference. That's what made me suspect that Lotutec might be the cause of the color bias difference, but the change could be coincidental.

It makes some practical sense to me to place the peak transmission in the green between 500 and 550nm rather than the more usual 550-650nm. The "green" choice isn't inherently more biased, but it may not be as attractive to the eye as a peak in the yellow/red. Bringing up the wavelengths between 450 and 550nm at the expense of red sacrifices the warm "golden hour" look, but at the same time it extends high transmission further into the blue/green where it really counts in low light. Of course, what I would prefer is perfectly flat transmission from 400 to 700nm.

Andy,

Yes, that's the FL.

Henry

Attachments

• DSC_0923.JPG
    DSC_0923.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back