• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feeder envy! (1 Viewer)

wilder

Chris (tine)
The birds round here are doing rather well at the moment..... until last August we had one small plastic peanut feeder in our garden, and the lady next door had one as well. At Birdfair we purchased two lovely nut feeders from Freebird Leisure and my other half put a branch from the top of our shed to the fence and we hung them up. They were soon joined by an RSPB seed feeder.

At this point the lady next door chucked out her old feeder and bought two new ones.

We have since also put up another seed feeder, a niger feeder and a bird table and suet feeder.

This morning we looked out of the window to see that next door had also bought two more feeders - one normal seed and a niger one!

I am just dying to put something else up just to see what she does next! It may be a case of "keeping up with the jones" but the birds are having a whale of a time!

Chris

PS We put water out too, of course!

Do you ever look over in your neighbor's yard to see which one of your feeder's seem to attract the most birds? I suppose though that it's about the same, right?

Last edited:
Your comments made me smile. I feed the birds all year and gain enormous pleasure from it but from November my neighbour starts to feed them and I feel bereft when they choose her feeders - how sad is that? The funny thing is there are serious holes in the beech hedge where they have made short cuts from her dining area into mine. When all the leaves have disappeared we are able to talk through the holes as we re-stock our feeders!!

Margaret

The best thing about all this is that the birds are the winners!!.at least you lucky people can see your feeders,mine are in a small corner of our very small yard,and the only time I see the visitors is if I am upstairs.But I can certainly hear the Starlings!!

Margaret Mc said:
Your comments made me smile. I feed the birds all year and gain enormous pleasure from it but from November my neighbour starts to feed them and I feel bereft when they choose her feeders - how sad is that?
Margaret
Not at all sad !!

I mentioned to a neighbour a few months back that we regularly had a pair of Great Spotted Woodpeckers visit the garden. They had never seen one in their garden, so I suggested that they tried a peanut block with insects as that's what they came to in our garden. Guess what ...... they did try, the woodies did discover them, and now seem to have completly forgotten about our garden. We've not seen one for months ...... the neighbours, however, now report regular sightings !!!

Annie

Last edited:
Your comments made me laugh. Its awful, you do feel jealous of the neighbours! I dont see many feeders around here though. Anyone is welcome to our Woodpigeons! I dont mind them but there are so many and they eat so much. I do wonder if someone has poached our Bullfinches, I only see one female now and there used to be two pairs. Chris, keep us posted on what your neighbour does next! Trish.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back