• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please help me identify this bird (2 Viewers)

cnbreb

Please help me identify this raptor in GA, USA

This was shot in my yard in south GA. There is a red shouldered hawk underneath this bird. I am sorry the flyoff picture is so poor.
Here is another image, so that you can actually see the red shouldered hawk, that was being attacked.

Attachments

• closeup.JPG
    closeup.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 341
  • flyoff.jpg
    flyoff.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 329
  • fight.jpg
    fight.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:
Hi cnbreb and welcome to Bird Forum from all the Staff and Moderators

I've move your post to the Bird Indentification forum where it will get better attention -sorry I can't help with the identification but I'm sure someone will be along soon

D

I think it is a juv Red Tailed, What do you mean a Red Shouldered Hawk is underneath it, was this bird attacking it?

Yes, the red shouldered was held down, the top bird would attack with its beak and then look around. I thought the red shouldered was dead for sure. When we opened the door, the top bird tried to carry off the other, but lost its grip and they both flew away. The only evidence of the fight was a few feathers on the ground, no blood. We have a pair of Red shouldered hawks that are very frequent around our yard, and the second was in tree close by screaming. Thanks for the reply.
steveo said:
I think it is a juv Red Tailed, What do you mean a Red Shouldered Hawk is underneath it, was this bird attacking it?

Wow, must be one hungry/crazy red-tail. The finely barred tail and light inner primaries are perfect for immature red-tail. I'm curious how often others have seen red-tails attack other birds of prey.

Scott

If that pic was GA, USA, that is a juvy RTHA...
Impressive, to capture a red-shoulder, but that probably means that bird is desperately hungry.

Red-Tails tend not to get along well with other large birds of prey. I've seen them stoop and dive after Red-Shouldered Hawks but never seen anything like this.

They are both Buteos and usually eat mammals. The larger red-tailed hawk might have sensed competition from a fellow buteo and attacked for that reason.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back