• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A swampish day (1 Viewer)

KyleM

Overcast, rather dull outside, but I feel pretty house cooped after working on a Sunday so I head out anyway. Decide to take a more bike frequented paved trail, just to see what it is about, as I do not expect much from the day anyway, it is mid afternoon and I am just getting out now. The morning was stolen by terrible commitments and a lack of coverage.

Nothing for a good while, suddenly the scene begins to come alive. A cardinal again, and again, it eludes my attempt to capture its redness. Nothing new there.

As I continue to walk down this biker filled area, there is a second, old road to my left and I start walking on it, as it is untrafficed. Quite nice. Lo and behold, as I continue I come across a wetland restoration area, which provided many treasures. Some variety of duck-like bird flies by,mostly orange/brown upper body, some hints of colour, odd shape. Not enough for me to figure out what it is.

Walking further along this swamp I see a 'blue jay' more to a stump, then flit away. I pass by and continue, spotting what turn out to be 'eastern kingbirds', something new for my eye. I would have guessed swallow with the naked eye, but the bill is of course not right for that, along with all the other later reasons that was a no go.

Passing back by the area of the 'blue jay', I see in profile a large dagger billed bird perched on a tree. A belted kingfisher, it flits to 2 other perches and then flies away. I have yet to spot a kingfisher, ever, so this was a treat. I will need to get a shot of it one day, most certainly, but for now I am happy with the look.

Not too much excitement after that, The wetland left behind I return to a fairly trafficed trail. Again the sky, very close Catbirds (grey) sang overhead and I snapped what turned out to be some silhuoette type photos, too much back lighting in the overcast late afternoon sky. A very good look, and as always some good entertainment through delay and odd song from them. Certainly nothing new (although I did not find them until moving here), but not a bird I mind watching and listening to in the least.

It begins to drizzle and I begin the long trek home, a bit footsore after 8+k after a shift of standing at work.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back