• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Terns and talons (1 Viewer)

birder4eva

I live in Ontario right beside the lake, and every summer I see terns. I think they are Caspian terns but I am not sure. Does anyone have any idea what they might be? I also found a large talon (it was attached to a bone) at the lake. I am not sure what bird it belonged to, but I do notice that mainly the only big birds actually on the shore are turkey vultures. Any ideas?:t:

Hi Birder4eva, can't help with the talon i.d but I have seen both Caspian and Common Terns at several points around Lake Ontario. Caspian Terns are much bigger than Commons with a large, sturdy red/orange bill, a feature that has earned them the nickname Carrotbill in some parts. Hope this is of some help,

James.

Lot´s of Forsters´n Terns too over there.
Without photo/description it´s impossible to say to which species the birds you see belong to.

Sound is a good way to tell terns apart - especially the Caspian from the others. It's the kind of call you might expect from some sort of big flying reptile in a film!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back