• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Razor HD, New Trninovid HD or Minox APO HG (10x42)? (1 Viewer)

Glimmer

All,

Well, if you have to decide between these, at the same price (around 1000 Eur), which will you buy?

I'm a glasses user, and sometimes will use them without glasses (so I like the real infinity focus)... (this is a not frequent point but it's important to me)

Many thanks!

Glimmer,

I've not seen the latest Trinovid but it's predecessor I thought disappointing for the price. I probably won't get to see the new one now 'till BirdFair in August.

I liked the Minox APO HD 10x43 better than 8x42. It is good, but I suppose mentally, I compare it to the Kowa Genesis 10.5x44 and for me is a poor second apart.... from the weight.

I thought the 10x50 Vortex Razor HD was better than the 10x42 and, at least partly due to the relative light weight, would be my choice over the Kowa. The Vortex colours appear a little more vibrant, but the CA not as well controlled as the Kowa, but good enough to be rarely noticed by me.

I've only spent a couple of minutes with the 10x but the Kite Bonelli 2.0 8x42 seriously impressed me. I know some would rule it out for the lack of ED glass. There is more CA than some on this list and the view isn't as flat either, so it isn't going to be everyone's choice. However the effective resolution of my sample was simply amazing, and in brief comparisons, beat the Zeiss FL, HT and the Swaro EL SV for perceived sharpness in my view. My preference for colour rendition changes with the light conditions but I'd probably put the Ultravid HD plus as possibly my number one overall, the Kite would be second, well, maybe equal second. Maybe worth condidering?

David

Hi Glimmer,

my post may be of little use, because the only one of the three I`v tried is the Vortex, it was very good, but with a 1000eur budget I`d be looking at the Meopta Meostar 10x42HD, I felt it surpassed the Vortex with the exception of weight, maybe you`v already discounted the Meopta but if you haven`t you owe it to yourself to try one, honestly its at Swarovski SLC level IMO.

John.

I've tried everything mentioned in this thread aside from the Kite Bonelli and APO HG, and the Razor HD has been my choice. It has better ergonomics than either the Kowa or the Meostar HD (and I believed it brighter than the Meostar HD). I felt the view to simply be better than the Trinovid - brighter and better CA control. I thought it very comparable to the Zeiss T*FL I owned at the same time - not quite as bright or good at controlling CA, but better color balance/edge performance and the same brilliantly sharp image. Vortex is a massively underrated brand on this website for whatever reason, but from my in the field, side-by-side comparisons I find them to be excellent optically and mechanically for the price, and the best in that $800-1200 range.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back