• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7D2. LCD screen (1 Viewer)

mdb2

My 7D2 screen image displaying juddering. The menu and in fact all use of the screen is juddering when used, I have tried a reset and full battery but nothing seems to solve the problem.
My images and focus etc are ok and all works good. I can use the menu but it's very disconcerting. Has anyone had this problem?
Luckily the canon quarantee does not run out till August.
Please help.
Kind regards Mike

I assume you're talking about the internal camera focusing screen. It sounds to me that somehow the screen itself popped out from the retaining frame. Because the focusing screen assembly is very delicate, I might suggest you take your camera to a camera store where they've likely seen this issue before, or barring that, call Canon...

I assume you're talking about the internal camera focusing screen. It sounds to me that somehow the screen itself popped out from the retaining frame. Because the focusing screen assembly is very delicate, I might suggest you take your camera to a camera store where they've likely seen this issue before, or barring that, call Canon...

Hi Chris and Thankyou for the reply, yes I believe you are right, really weird I can see a vertical black bar about 3mm in from the side.
Kind regards mike

Hi all my 7d2 will on Monday be going to Colchester for first aid I will be paying for the postage as well as going to the post office which is 2 miles away. As a matter of interest I also use OLYMPUS as well when I sent my camera (EM1)off to Portugal for repair DHL called at my house it was repaired and back with me by DHL in exactly four and a half days all free, again under warranty as is the 7Dmk2. Seems to me that Canon could take a lesson from Olympus for customer care.
Will report back as to how Canon performs.
Kind regards Mike

The whole issue of warranty is an odd one. When the UK pull out of the EU, what will happen to Canon warranties ?
Currently anything bought within the EU is covered by an EU warranty ( who we also have to thank for getting 1 year extended to 2) anything purchased outside of the EU isn't covered although you can still get Canon UK to repair them.
In the future why should Hong Kong or the USA be considered any different to France or Germany?
It's all a nonsense really, they are all made in the same factory so Canon should give worldwide guarantees no matter where they are purchased. Canon still get their money no matter what.

I don't know about Canon in the UK, but if I buy a Canon camera/lens in another EU country and want it fixed under warranty, I'll need to send it to Canon in that specific country. Canon Sweden will not accept any warranty services for equipment from other countries - regardless of EU membership or not.

"Yeah I know it's Canon, but here is Canon Sweden, and that's our own company".

They will, of course fix any problems I have with my equipment, but I'll have to pay for the service.

That's interesting. Why isn't Sweden covered by the European warranty ? They should be.
Since the UK £ has dropped in value it would be more expensive to purchase in Euros but I can see some Europeans buying online from the UK now.

That's interesting. Why isn't Sweden covered by the European warranty ? They should be.
Since the UK £ has dropped in value it would be more expensive to purchase in Euros but I can see some Europeans buying online from the UK now.

What would happen if everyone in Sweden bought their canon gear from UK and sent them for free service to Canon Sweden?

Wouldn't work I guess.

I can tell you that the profit for Canon Sweden wasn't huge 2014 and 2013 it was even negative.

I suspect Nikon acts in the same way. Grey market imports are not very popular.

I think it's quite reasonable.

What would happen if everyone in Sweden bought their canon gear from UK and sent them for free service to Canon Sweden?

Wouldn't work I guess.

I can tell you that the profit for Canon Sweden wasn't huge 2014 and 2013 it was even negative.

I suspect Nikon acts in the same way. Grey market imports are not very popular.

I think it's quite reasonable.

It's not free service, it's warranty work we are talking about. Canon are artificially trying to influence market forces. You can understand why but if they are trying to prop up internal markets they should do the same for high street retail vs online store too.

Hi as I said in my earlier thread I am reporting back. I posted off today special delivery at a cost of £26.60 my cameras. namely 7d and 7d2 the former is a on/off switch not under warranty. Also my 7d2 fore the original posting juddering screen. WOW £26.60 for postage and a 3-4 mile round trip to the post office. You might remember me quoting OLYMPUS and DHL home pickup and deliver free!
Kind regards Mike

It will be interesting to see what they quote to repair the 7D.

Further information as to my cameras. The 7d2 was retuned to me free of postage charges and a new Lcd screen 12 days turnaround from date of postage to returning date. All seems well.
The 7d on/off switch, was in total £169 that's a complete service plus new switch and £11.00 return postage. However the camera is still with the repairers, thus far 2 weeks?
I will keep you informed I was assured it would be returned this week!
Kind regards Mike

I have been very busy of late sorry for the delay in posting. More information on the canon 7d on/off switch. Although quoted @ £169 for replacement and service. On opening the camera it is badly corroded internally.
And will be over £400. The switch is ok and does not need replacement. Therefore will work if the corroded parts are replaced. Needless to say I declined the offer of repair, and paid £11 for delivery back to me.

I took the 7d2 out for about 3 hrs and less than a 100 shots then the LCD screen developed two very fine coloured vertical dotted lines on the left side of the screen the same area as the black lines previously. I have had to return the camera still under warranty for further work. I will inform you all as to further
Devolpments. Also has anyone heard of any issues with the 7d2 LCD screen??
Kind regards Mike

Attachments

• P7250001.jpg
    P7250001.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your problems in one of the very few Canon SLRs described as "waterproof" or similar. It would appear from your description that your 7D Mk II has failed in that respect, and thus the corrosion etc. Amongst my DSLRs, I too have a 7D Mk II (bought used, but in "good" condition). I've now had to stick down the body covering close to where the card slot door closes. Perhaps being "weather sealed" encouraged a previous owner to be a bit rough with it.

From Petapixels webpage, "Cracking Open the 7D Mark II, The Most Thoroughly Weather Sealed Camera I’ve Ever Seen".
Hmmm...
http://petapixel.com/2014/11/04/cra...oroughly-weather-sealed-camera-ive-ever-seen/

Roll-on truly independent IP testing! but could any of us then afford the product?

Sorry to hear about your problems in one of the very few Canon SLRs described as "waterproof" or similar. It would appear from your description that your 7D Mk II has failed in that respect, and thus the corrosion etc. Amongst my DSLRs, I too have a 7D Mk II (bought used, but in "good" condition). I've now had to stick down the body covering close to where the card slot door closes. Perhaps being "weather sealed" encouraged a previous owner to be a bit rough with it.

From Petapixels webpage, "Cracking Open the 7D Mark II, The Most Thoroughly Weather Sealed Camera I’ve Ever Seen".
Hmmm...
http://petapixel.com/2014/11/04/cra...oroughly-weather-sealed-camera-ive-ever-seen/

Roll-on truly independent IP testing! but could any of us then afford the product?

Hi Malcolm it's the 7d that's corroded not 7d2 easy mistake.

Hi all, I have received back from repair my 7d2 apparently the repairers are under the impression I have put to much pressure on the LCD screen the rear frame support for the screen was dented. The frame is on the inside of the camera body? Which is a bit of a worry because it failed less than 3 hrs and less than 100 shutter actuation after I got it back. I am 99% sure I did not not bang the screen? They have left me a note that it's a goodwill gesture of theirs. No charge. Which leaves me a little concerned at the longevity of the 7d2 rear LCD screen. One can only guess as to what's going on I never received a refund for the postage either. As I said earlier in the thread about OLYMPUS. canon back up service dept should check out OLYMPUS servicing.
Kind regards Mike

Hi all, I have received back from repair my 7d2 apparently the repairers are under the impression I have put to much pressure on the LCD screen the rear frame support for the screen was dented. The frame is on the inside of the camera body? Which is a bit of a worry because it failed less than 3 hrs and less than 100 shutter actuation after I got it back. I am 99% sure I did not not bang the screen? They have left me a note that it's a goodwill gesture of theirs. No charge. Which leaves me a little concerned at the longevity of the 7d2 rear LCD screen. One can only guess as to what's going on I never received a refund for the postage either. As I said earlier in the thread about OLYMPUS. canon back up service dept should check out OLYMPUS servicing.
Kind regards Mike

Call me sceptical but that sounds like a fob off to me. They probably dented the frame putting it in when they repaired the camera.

Hmmm...

I have an Olympus Tough pocket camera. It is suitable for underwater photography. It also has a time lapse set up and is capable of taking stacked photos for macro shots combining them in to a single image for better depth of field. It cost less than £300. My 1DX2 does none of these things!

As for the rubber body covers, they use a glue to stick them down which easily comes adrift in higher temperatures as it melts and it's not rough treatment that causes the problem. I have had this fault with Nikon's D200 and 300s on the front part where you grip the camera. Both were repaired under warranty although I paid the postage. My Canon 1DX had the problem where the cover was coming adrift from the door of the CF card compartment. I had it repaired when I took the camera in for a sensor clean... it was only £11. Had it been the main cover it would have been a major cost.
I'm told Nikon bodies are more prone to the problem than Canon ones.

Hi Dave, I was surprised at their comments that the 7d was badly corroded internally. The 7d is supposed to have weatherproof seals so where does the corrosion come from???? Must be condensation???
Kind regards mike

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back