• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod ring Canon 300 mm F 2.8 problem. (1 Viewer)

ternaround

Hi, I was wondering,would anyone know if the inner part of the tripod ring for the Canon 300mm F2.8, not the Mk 11 version, is user replaceable or does it need to go to Canon, it appears to be made of silicone. It has come loose and is sticking when I try to rotate it.

I thought it might just need sticking back in but I don't know how it was attached in the first place.

Many thanks John.

Hi, I was wondering,would anyone know if the inner part of the tripod ring for the Canon 300mm F2.8, not the Mk 11 version, is user replaceable or does it need to go to Canon, it appears to be made of silicone. It has come loose and is sticking when I try to rotate it.

I thought it might just need sticking back in but I don't know how it was attached in the first place.

Many thanks John.

Hi John,

I've checked my EF 300 F/2.8L IS USM, and on the side of the tripod mount, I can see two small screws on a small plate, and it's my guess that if you are adept enough to remove this plate, you'll be able to release the tripod ring. Otherwise it's back to Canon or to H Lehman's at Stoke. If it's the original EF 300 F/2.8L USM, disassembly is of a more serious nature, and I'd recommend sending that in for professional attention.

Thanks for the replies. The tripod collar is removable and has inside it a hard plastic ring held in by one small screw, on both outer edges of this there is, what appears to be, a rubber insert, one of these has just about disintegrated and I think this is causing the problem. I have tried all ways to find a part number or possible alternatives to this but have so far failed. Thanks for your help, it looks like a call to Canon might be my only option.

Cheers John.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back