• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are All Microfiber Cloths Created Equal? (1 Viewer)

BruceH

A common denominator in many threads on lens cleaning is to use a microfiber cloth. However there are multiple types of these cloths.

Here are some examples I have seen:
- Most common have been cloths with a fuzzy nap.
- A thin silk like cloth supplied with some binoculars.
- A compressed cloth thicker than a thin cloth without nap.

There are probably more.

It also seems that not all microfiber cloths of the same type are of the same quality. Costco sells a large packet of a gold/yellow napped cloths that I use on windshields and they absorb quite well. However I got a free pack of napped cloths from Harbor Freight and the nap is shorter and they do not seem to absorb liquid near as well.

Are there any members who can inform the rest of us on everything we need to know about microfiber cloths?
- Are there some characteristics to look for in a microfiber cloth for lens clenaing?
- Are there some characteristics to avoid?
- Why is a microfiber cloth better than a cotton cloth?
- Is there any manufacturing residue that should be washed off before first using?
- Does microfiber absorb oily smudges without using a lens cleaner?
- Exactly what is microfiber compared to regular cotton?

The intent of this thread is to discuss microfiber cloths and how to use them cleaning lenses rather than to go into the details of cleaning optics. If you are knowledgeable on microfiber, here is your chance to share with the world what you know. If, like me, you want to know more about the subject, here is an opportunity to ask all of your questions.

What is the best birding microfiber cloth in the world and does it have to been green? ;)

Here is a photo of the three examples mentioned above. The green cloth with the nap is the most common I have seen and came from the Walmart automotive section several years ago. The cloth attached to the pouch is the thin silk like cloth and was purchased at a birding festival. The white cloth is the thicker type without nap and was purchased at a swap meet like event.

Attachments

• Microfiber.JPG
    Microfiber.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
The best one I have seen is the Hama small grey cloth in the small grey tubs.
I use it all the time and it works by itself.
I have about 5 spare, but have only needed to use two.
I didn't wash them. I don't know if you should before first use.
My friend washes them maybe with fairy liquid and then rinsing.
I must have used them for 15 years?

Not all microfibre cloths are equal. Some are useless.

P.S.
Hama Micro Clean Cloth 5908 £4.25

Last edited:
Here is some good information on Microfibre cloth's:
"I've talked about using microfiber for cleaning, but not all microfiber is created equal. Microfiber cloths can look the same upon first glance, but there’s details you can see and the most important ones you can’t.. that can make all the difference in the world!

Most microfiber combines two fibers, Polyester and Polymide (basically Nylon). These fibers are usually “split” through a specialized heating process that creates edges and capillaries within each fiber that make it superior for cleaning.

So what is quality Microfiber and how can you tell?

First – here’s what you can’t see:

Split fiber. Unsplit microfiber is terrible at absorption which makes it near useless for cleaning. Machines that produce the raw Microfiber thread can be purchased for under $100,000. The machines that do the splitting and processing of the thread into quality Microfiber cost over $1,000,000. This is why there can be a dramatic difference in price between microfiber cloths.

Size matters. To be classified as microfiber a fiber only needs to be 1/6 the diameter of a human hair. Tests done to show % removal of bacteria and viruses is dependent upon the size of individual fibers. Smaller is better. Think of how clean your floor would be using a rake versus a broom. The size of the fibers needs to fit the size of the mess being cleaned. At 1/200th the diameter of a human hair, Norwex microfiber is smaller than the cloth fibers used in the study below which was able to remove 98% of bacteria and 93% of viruses from a surface.
http://www.infectioncontroltoday.co...ding-microfiber-s-role-in-infection-prev.aspx

Density. For high quality microfiber, higher density (fibers per square inch) translates into greater cleaning power and absorption. The Norwex enviro cloth has 8.5 million feet of fiber in every cloth!

What you can see:
1. Look for finished edges on a microfiber cloth better cloths are finished well.
2. Pull the cloth, a cheap microfiber cloth will stretch, a sturdy high quality cloth will barely budge.
3. Feel the cloth, the split weave microfiber will catch on dry skin. High quality will also be thicker.
4. Hold the cloth up to a window or light. Denser microfiber will block out significantly more light.
5. Try it! See how much water the cloth can soak up. Clean with another cloth side by side.. see how the surface looks after and how the cloths look.

Personally, I prefer Norwex microfiber. Here's what makes their microfiber so special.

Silver. Norwex has a unique patented process in which it has incorporated a silver agent that can't be washed out and when used with water can destroy viruses, bacteria, mold, and mildew. This gives Norwex the unique advantage of having a cloth that can be used over and over without laundering and actually purifies itself within 24 hours."

The best microfiber cloth I have found is the one that comes with Serengeti sunglasses.

I have several, they have a very fine fiber, very absorbent, and work better than the one Swaro.
supplies.

I have Zeiss wipes, but they are just a smear and a way to wet, they still need a quality cloth
to wipe and finish the job.

Jerry

This should go without saying, but if you do wash your microfiber cloths, NEVER use fabric softener! It leaves a coating on the fibers that inhibits absorption.

In fact, I don't use fabric softener at all anymore. I often wear those moisture-transferring undershirts (like Wickers), and I discovered they are much more effective when your outer shirt has not been washed with fabric softener. IOW, the outer shirt is more likely to absorb the moisture that the wicking undershirt is delivering to it, thus keeping the undershirt dry (as it's meant to be).

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back