• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pine Martens Offered Creature Comforts At South Lakes Forest (1 Viewer)

Chris Monk

29 AUGUST 2006 FORESTRY COMMISSION NEWS RELEASE No: 8738

PINE MARTENS OFFERED CREATURE COMFORTS AT SOUTH LAKES FOREST :clap:

WILDLIFE rangers and the Vincent Wildlife Trust are hoping that the elusive pine marten will break cover in South Cumbria’s Grizedale Forest by creating a series of treetop hideaways.

Until recently the ferret-like animal was thought to be extinct in England, but regular sightings reported to the Vincent Wildlife Trust prompted the Forestry Commission Wildlife Team to instigate a search to confirm the presence of pine martens at Grizedale.

Twenty specially designed pine marten boxes are being installed in the forest canopy to make up for a lack of natural breeding sites, which may be one of reasons why it has declined across the country.

The boxes are being sited at various locations in over 2000 hectares of Cumbria’s largest forest in an effort to offer the creature a tempting retreat.

Mike Thornley, Wildlife Ranger for the Forestry Commission, says: “This is a great opportunity for us to determine once and for all whether the pine marten is still breeding in South Cumbria.”

“In Europe, pine martens often live in holes made by black woodpeckers, but many of our woods lack the natural nooks and crannies they like. So this could be our best way of tracking down the creature. "

Until the 19th century the pine marten, a tree climbing mammal similar in appearance to a ferret or stoat, but significantly larger, inhabited large areas of England, but persecution and habitat loss drove it back to its present day refuge in Scotland. It is the second rarest carnivore in Britain after the wild cat.

Dr Johnny Birks from the Vincent Wildlife Trust says: "We have really enjoyed working in partnership with the Forestry Commission on this project to detect and conserve this most elusive mammal.”

“Installing these den boxes will help, but we are not expecting instant results as the pine marten is very rare in Cumbria and it may take them years to find the boxes".

Forest rangers will monitor the boxes regularly to look for signs that they have been using their new shelters. Pine martens leave scats/droppings on boxes to mark their territory, so the task won’t be too difficult.

The boxes have been designed by the Vincent Wildlife Trust and used with great success in Scotland, where the local population has grown. The boxes have two entrances and a central breeding chamber for the pine martens to explore.

Any sightings of Pine Martens can be reported to Dr Johnny Birks at the Vincent Wildlife Trust on 01531 636441, or by email to [email protected]

Ends

Notes to editors
1. Grizedale Visitor Centre and Forest Park is bordered by Lake Windermere to the east and Coniston Water to the West. The nearest centres are Hawkshead and Ambleside.

2. The Forestry Commission is the largest provider of countryside recreation in Britain with responsibility for over one million hectares (2.4 million acres) of forest, woodlands and open countryside. The North West England Forest District covers the Lake District in Cumbria, the Forest of Bowland in Lancashire, Merseyside, Greater Manchester and Cheshire. The forests today are managed for conservation, wildlife, landscape and recreation as well as providing a valuable source of timber.

3. Further information on wildlife in the nation's forests is also available at www.forestry.gov.uk/wildwoods

Twenty specially designed pine marten boxes are being installed in the forest canopy to make up for a lack of natural breeding sites, which may be one of reasons why it has declined across the country.

“In Europe, pine martens often live in holes made by black woodpeckers, but many of our woods lack the natural nooks and crannies they like. So this could be our best way of tracking down the creature. "

Wonder how they came to the conclusion that "lack of natural breeding sites" is a factor. Pine Martin will quite happily den in quite a wide variety of places.......old buildings, even roof space in occupied buildings, timber woodpiles, tree stumps, under outhouses barns and sheds, they're pretty adaptable creatures. More than likely that the reasons for any past decline are human related.
I've seen Pine Martin in Scotland well away from known typical Pine Forest strongholds, they're far more widespread than we think, and I suspect are already doing quite well in northern England.
Just they are incredibly difficult to track down and census. The woods here are full of them, yet I can count on one hand the number of incidental sightings I have in a year.

JP

Last edited:
They are common in Europe and live in many suburban forests and larger parks. Den in tree holes, stumps, attics etc. However, not sure if birders will really appreciate them - they are wonderful creatures, but also skillful nest robbers.

jpoyner said:

Wonder how they came to the conclusion that "lack of natural breeding sites" is a factor. Pine Martin will quite happily den in quite a wide variety of places.......old buildings, even roof space in occupied buildings, timber woodpiles, tree stumps, under outhouses barns and sheds, they're pretty adaptable creatures. More than likely that the reasons for any past decline are human related.
I've seen Pine Martin in Scotland well away from known typical Pine Forest strongholds, they're far more widespread than we think, and I suspect are already doing quite well in northern England.
Just they are incredibly difficult to track down and census. The woods here are full of them, yet I can count on one hand the number of incidental sightings I have in a year.

JP

Would love to see a wild Pine Marten. Closest I've come are the road killed Beech Martens I saw last year in Crete.
I understand there are several places where it is possible to observe these creatures from a cottage some where in Scotland (or did I just dream it?). In fact I really need to pull myself together and get backside over the boarder to catch up with Otter, Golden Eagle, White-tailed Eagle, Crested Tit... the list goes on and on.

skink1978 said:
Would love to see a wild Pine Marten. Closest I've come are the road killed Beech Martens I saw last year in Crete.
I understand there are several places where it is possible to observe these creatures from a cottage some where in Scotland (or did I just dream it?). In fact I really need to pull myself together and get backside over the boarder to catch up with Otter, Golden Eagle, White-tailed Eagle, Crested Tit... the list goes on and on.

If you don't mind hide watching, Speyside Wildlife have a superb baited site which pulls in both Pine Martens and Badgers (my mate got a picture with both in!) at about £15 a night - less than a night's B&B these days. Advert shouldn't be hard to run down.

Alternatively, the Ardnamurchan peninsula is stuffed solid with Pine Martens and just night driving the coast road through the oak woods should get you a sighting if your friendly B&B can't whistle them up. That coast can also be good for Otters and there are both eagles about as well.

Happy hunting

John

Farnboro John said:
If you don't mind hide watching, Speyside Wildlife have a superb baited site which pulls in both Pine Martens and Badgers (my mate got a picture with both in!) at about £15 a night - less than a night's B&B these days. Advert shouldn't be hard to run down.

Alternatively, the Ardnamurchan peninsula is stuffed solid with Pine Martens and just night driving the coast road through the oak woods should get you a sighting if your friendly B&B can't whistle them up. That coast can also be good for Otters and there are both eagles about as well.

Happy hunting

John

Thanks for the great tips John. Will make a note of your information for when I do finally get myself up to Scotland. In fact, I think I'll talk to the girlfriend about a romantic break tonight when she gets home from work. Speyside Wildlife Tours you said they were called...? Thanks again, Mike

skink1978 said:
Thanks for the great tips John. Will make a note of your information for when I do finally get myself up to Scotland. In fact, I think I'll talk to the girlfriend about a romantic break tonight when she gets home from work. Speyside Wildlife Tours you said they were called...? Thanks again, Mike

I can recommend these guys - delivered pine martens

http://www.flickr.com/photos/green-man/172179111/

and badgers

http://www.flickr.com/photos/green-man/182258451/

for me in April this year. You just walk up to the Rothiemurchus booking office just outside Aviemore and sign up.

and as a tip for photography, a 100mm lens is too long :)

We've seen pine martens from two cottages. One was many years ago at a self-catering cottage near Kinlochewe, at the foot of the Benn Eighe trail.

The other one was the more productive. As you turn left onto the road to Kinlochhourn (from the main road Invergarry-Kyle of Lochalsh) it's the first house you come to on your left, set back just a little way from the road. We used to put food out in front of the big window on a stone - jam butties, an egg, peanuts etc.. and while 5 of us were watching TV or playing games with the curtains drawn to, one would mount guard at the window in the porch then alert the rest of us when a marten arrived - which one or two did every night. We even got the children up out of bed one night when the little creatures were late ------- "Oh look at that big mouse!" (Incidentally, I can recommend this property to anyone looking for a warm, well equipped house to holiday in. We love autumn in this area.)

Sorry for rambling on a bit...............

Sandra

Sandra (Taylor) said:
We've seen pine martens from two cottages. One was many years ago at a self-catering cottage near Kinlochewe, at the foot of the Benn Eighe trail.

The other one was the more productive. As you turn left onto the road to Kinlochhourn (from the main road Invergarry-Kyle of Lochalsh) it's the first house you come to on your left, set back just a little way from the road. We used to put food out in front of the big window on a stone - jam butties, an egg, peanuts etc.. and while 5 of us were watching TV or playing games with the curtains drawn to, one would mount guard at the window in the porch then alert the rest of us when a marten arrived - which one or two did every night. We even got the children up out of bed one night when the little creatures were late ------- "Oh look at that big mouse!" (Incidentally, I can recommend this property to anyone looking for a warm, well equipped house to holiday in. We love autumn in this area.)

Thanks Sandra. Another bit of excellent information to add to my new note-book (Not been a member of Bird Forum for too long but already recieved loads of great tips on all aspects of widlife/birdwatching). With all this Pine Marten info I can't possibly fail to see one... can I?

Farnboro John said:

Happy hunting

John

They're not that easy in Ardnamurchan. I spent several nights spotlighting there this April, and saw otter and hybrid wildcat but no sign of pine marten. They were visiting some of the houses in the area though, apparently. Like everybody else, I cheated and got my film of them courtesy of Speyside Wildlife. Apparently, late Summer is the best time at the Rothiemurchus hide because the young pine martens will start to come down then - we just saw the mother in April.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back