• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collared Doves in Glasgow (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Mitchell

Collared Doves are always talked of as common garden birds, but I live in the south side of Glasgow, and have only seen them once in the garden in the last 3 years, and only a few times in the suburbs. Seeing one is always something that makes me very happy. Has anyone else noticed an absence in the area, and is there a place that is particularly good for seeing them?

I live in the middle of a small town called Carnoustie on the east coast of Scotland and I get them daily in my garden. As well as eating the spilt seed from my bird feeders I've also found that they like perching on the tray on the niger feeder and eating the niger on it. I wonder why you have so few Collared Doves?

I have tried many times, but I can think of no reason why they would not be attracted to my garden. I get a loads of Woodpigeons and Feral Pigeons, and because individuals of the latter are so distinctive, can say that some seem to live here.When Collared Doves do appear, they feed with the other pigeons.

I was born & bred on the Ayrshire coast, where collared doves were plentiful in gardens (and still seem to be), then moved to Lothian where there is a relative dearth of this species - seldom are they seen in the gardens in my patch. Yet, I've not long got back from a few days on Skye, and found them pretty common even in the wilder parts of the coast there.

As with many species, they can vary widely in local abundance, though I can't think why they'd be scarce in your patch, as they are in mine. The winters here, particularly in the last 5/6 years have been far more harsh in general than experienced in Glasgow, so may be a factor in the relative scarcity here. I know from family that the leafier parts of Bishopbriggs have always held healthy numbers. According to 'The Atlas', this is still a species on the march so the next few years may bring more positive results for your garden. I hope so - beautiful birds.

I'm in the middle of a small Perthshire town and although I know Collared Doves are around in the wider countryside, they only come to my garden for a few days, once or twice a year.

Wood Pigeons aren't here all the time either, but visit far more often (looking at one now!)

There's a lack of feral pigeons in the town though I've seen some in the countryside around occasionally.

Stock Dove remains to be ticked on my Scottish list (but that's probably more to do with my lack of ability to ID them in flight!).

Very interesting Bubo. A species I used to get regularly in my garden is the Greenfinch. I've not seen one here for nigh on 6 or 7 years at all. My friend who stays outside St Cyrus on a farm gets them every day. I do have a lot of House Sparrows which seem to have multiplied over the years. Maybe they compete?

I'll bet most gardens have experienced some kind of cyclical change over recent years, Nicola. My own had regularly seen large numbers of greenfinches, goldfinches, along with regular yellowhammer when the feeding station was established. House sparrows were seldom recorded, but 15 yrs or so later, all of these former birds are only sporadic visitors, and yet House sparrows now constitute the vast bulk of visits (not a bad thing mind you).

Explaining all of this is difficult without some degree of conjecture, though it's widely documented that Greenfinch populations have been depleted through disease in recent years - this may partly explain the declines you have experienced.

House Sparrows in my garden have also become much commoner. A couple of years ago, I wasn't seeing them even every week, but now they outnumber everything else, and have recently been coming on to the windowsill. As they are in quite a decline, this is definitely something to be pleased about.

I would definately agree with the comments about House Sparrow numbers on the rise and a lack of Greenfinches (in my locality; Arbroath). I've also noticed an increase in Goldfinches over the years.

As for the Collared Doves, we've always had a decent population in this area, we see them most days on the roof aerials. I guess it's a locality thing - like the lack of Magpies in my own area, hence why I get rather excited when I see them ;)

I wish at times there were a lack of Magpies around here - a natural 5am alarm call for two months after fledging.....

Good news that the real march in Goldfinch numbers is evident, though the concern over Greenfinch continues.

We used to get a lot of them where I live (southside of Glasgow), but once people starting chopping down trees in the local neighbourhood the doves disappeared. I'm not saying it's cause and effect, but my impression is that they like the trees for perching and for cover. Now it's too open and they stay away.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back