• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Riverside Nature Park, Dundee. (2 Viewers)

Went over, yesterday after school. Species seen: Long-tailed Tits, Teal, Bar-tailed Godwit, Redshank, mallards, the 2 Mute Swans, woodpigeon, feral pigeon, crow, rook, cormorant, blackbird, oystercatcher, Greater-black backed gull, Herring Gull, BH Gull and the two dippers.

Went down to the park a bit later than planned (again), but as it was still quite foggy when I got there, I don't think I missed too much by spending longer in my bed. The sun eventually came out and it turned out to be a lovely day with some brilliant photo opportunities from the Kestrel especially. 35 species seen.

Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Blue Tit, Bullfinch (at least 2 males), Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Chiffchaff (1 still around near the flooded corner - possibly 2), Coal Tit, Cormorant, Curlew, Dunnock, Goldcrest, Goldfinch, Grey Heron, Grey Wagtail, Herring Gull, House Sparrow (in hedge between cow and horse fields), Jackdaw, Kestrel (saw lots of hovering and 2 kills - probably voles), Long Tailed Tit, Mallard, Mistle Thrush (at least 1 bird appears to be frequenting the eastern end of the park), Mute Swan, Oystercatcher, Peregrine (distant view to the north, perched later on Ninewells chimney), Redshank, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Siskin, Skylark (heard a few flocks go over high and saw one bird), Starling, Teal, Woodpigeon, Wren.

Park was busy today with walkers (with and without dogs) and a few families with kids. Chatted to a few folk, who were quite impressed with the park overall but made a few suggestions for improvements which I will try to remember to bring up at the meeting on Thursday (seating of some sort, and improved signage for the paths).

A few Red Admirals around (possibly up to 3), as well as a Silver Y moth (first for me here) and a couple of Common Darter dragonflies (one of which rested on my camera lens). Also found a pellet (appeared to be mostly feather remains), looking at book, it could be a Buzzard pellet.

Attachments

• 8109816669_02f6f5cf99_c.jpg
    8109816669_02f6f5cf99_c.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 8109826950_d048f91622_c.jpg
    8109826950_d048f91622_c.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 8109820093_d07711b5ce_c.jpg
    8109820093_d07711b5ce_c.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 8109812321_a8a2b62788_c.jpg
    8109812321_a8a2b62788_c.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 51
  • 8109818997_2eccbbb2c5_c.jpg
    8109818997_2eccbbb2c5_c.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Was down at the park for a large chunk of the afternoon yesterday. Managed 35 species, despite timing my visit to the hide wrong and finding the tide in when I got there. Great prolonged and close-up views of a Grey Wagtail feeding around the edges of a big puddle at the "Buzzard wood" corner. Spotted what looked like a large bird on a roof in Invergowrie. Snapped a photo to see it looked a bit owl-shaped. Zooming in showed that it was owl-shaped, but was a rather ineffective plastic owl to deter pigeons (it was joined on the roof by quite a few pigeons).

Species seen - Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Blue Tit, Bulfinch (3), Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Chiffchaff (still 1 showing in Buzzard wood), Chaffinch, Common Gull, Cormorant, Curlew, Dipper, Dunnock, Goldfinch, Goosander (2), Great Black Backed Gull (2), Grey Heron, Grey Wagtail, Herring Gull, Kestrel, Linnet, Little Grebe (showing well again on the Lochan after an apparent absence), Long Tailed Tit, Mallard, Meadow Pipit, Mute Swan (2 on Lochan, 6 flew into bay later - 2 adults & 4 young), Pink Footed Goose (1 in flooded field behind car park, then flew to Lochan), Red Breasted Merganser (1 in as tide receded), Redshank, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Siskin, Teal (around 20 on Lochan, many more in bay), Woodpigeon, Wren.

Attachments

• 8127215587_f2a3bb82cc_c.jpg
    8127215587_f2a3bb82cc_c.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 8127213495_30d6664c02_c.jpg
    8127213495_30d6664c02_c.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 50
  • 8127214165_19a4bd0d24_c.jpg
    8127214165_19a4bd0d24_c.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 8127217165_f18b09ae5e_c.jpg
    8127217165_f18b09ae5e_c.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 8127211539_4db8816628_c.jpg
    8127211539_4db8816628_c.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 55
An expected (or at least much hoped for), but very welcome, addition to the park list today, in the shape of a White Tailed Eagle flying over the park eastwards at 12 o'clock. Seen by a visiting birder from Fife.
Also a report from this month's local round-up in Birdwatching magazine of a Pale Bellied Brent Goose on the 15th September.

111. White Tailed Eagle
112. Brent Goose

Last edited:
Popped into Riverside Nature Park after work for an hour or so. Probably one of my last weekday visits this year owing to the times of sunset. Unfortunately my visit also coincided with high tide. The sun set within a short while of my arriving, so the list was one of the shortest I've had. Just 11 species and another few heard only. Got quite close to the Kestrel perched in a tree. As the light faded, the Pink Footed Geese started to arrive back on the river in their hundreds with their calls echoing around in the still air and their skeins just visible as they approached, growing more visible as they passed over, "wiffling" to lose height towards the river.

Species seen - Black Headed Gull (in the bay), Carrion Crow (a few dotted around on posts and also in the compost area), Grey Heron (2 flying in to roost in the bay), Herring Gull (flying into roost), Kestrel (the resident bird perched in a tree near the Lochan), Little Grebe (still on the Lochan), Mallard (on the Lochan), Mute Swan (2 on the Lochan), Pink Footed Goose (possibly 2 in the bay before the rest arrived), Teal ( a few on the Lochan), Woodpigeon (a few flying over).
Birds only heard - Blackbird, Robin, Dunnock, Wren, Song Thrush.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Dundee Council are planning to build a Park and Ride on the eastern end of the park.
There is a public exhibition in relation to the proposed Dundee West Park and Ride at Wright Avenue taking place on 8th November 2012 from 2:00pm to 8:00pm at DCA, 153-156 Nethergate. You are invited to attend the exhibition and view the proposals.
Those willing to make comments on the proposals may do so at the event and/or in writing to the City Development Department no later than 22nd November 2012. All written comments sent are not representations to the Council. An opportunity to make representations to the Council will be available when a formal application is submitted.

A couple of additions to add to the list from a visit today by Ian Ford. A couple of Snipe on the flooded meadow behind the car park, and a Treecreeper in with a Tit flock in the Buzzard wood. Ian has also seen Kingfisher by the burn outflow on 26th September.

Also, I received a list for the evening visit by the Angus & Dundee Bird Club from July from the trip leader, Graham Smith. Ringed Plover was seen during the visit, and Common Tern was the other main bird of interest.

113. Snipe
114. Treecreeper
115. Kingfisher
116. Ringed Plover

Decided to get up early and get down to the park before the dog walkers in an attempt to see the Snipe. Unfortunately, despite getting to the park at about 8.30 I was out of luck, although the radio blasting out from the truck being used to feed the livestock, and the two barking dogs of the driver may, or may not, have played their part in me drawing a blank. More dog-walkers appeared around 9am, and additional deposits were left at strategic points on the path. One owner did at least bag theirs but decided that 20 yards from the car park made more sense than in the bin. Birds were in relatively short supply, and mostly in flight away from dogs and walkers it seemed, except around Buzzard Wood (most dog-walkers seemed to go round the western part of the park). Also, surprisingly I saw a dragonfly buzzing around by the puddle at the corner of the wood in the sunshine. A nice female Lesser Redpoll fed while I snapped some photos from not too far away.

Full list from 8.30 till 13.15 was - Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Blue Tit, Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Common Gull, Cormorant, Curlew, Dipper, Dunnock, Goldcrest, Goldfinch, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Great Tit, Grey Heron, Herring Gull, Jackdaw, Kestrel, Lesser Redpoll, Mallard, Mute Swan, Oystercatcher, Pink Footed Geese, Redshank, Robin, Siskin, Skylark, Sparrowhawk, Teal, Woodpigeon, Wren, Yellowhammer.

Attachments

• 8154222462_13856b1d4e_c.jpg
    8154222462_13856b1d4e_c.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 8154215530_01a44ee011_c.jpg
    8154215530_01a44ee011_c.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 8154219024_aee59bafe3_c.jpg
    8154219024_aee59bafe3_c.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 8154190369_e37a39dbc2_c.jpg
    8154190369_e37a39dbc2_c.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 8154218454_9df45ac461_c.jpg
    8154218454_9df45ac461_c.jpg
    487 KB · Views: 50
8.oo am visit

car park area
1 male bullfinch/2 wrens/1 blue tit/chaffinch/robin/carrion crow/2 mutes flying over heading s/w,small flock of pinkfoots flying over

on the way to lochan
perched kestrel being mobbed by crows,1 wren,3 male bullfinches,goldfinches,woodpigeons,blackbirds,dunnock
2 mutes sleeping on the partly frozen lochan
in front of hide
1 dipper/1 heron/1 lssb gull/herring gull/black headed gull/redshank/curlew/oystercatcher/teal/mallard/cormorant,flock of 30 goldfinches at the scree area

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 59
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 47
  • p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 47
A wee reminder for today...

There is a public exhibition in relation to the proposed Dundee West Park and Ride at Wright Avenue taking place on 8th November 2012 from 2:00pm to 8:00pm at DCA, 153-156 Nethergate. You are invited to attend the exhibition and view the proposals.
Those willing to make comments on the proposals may do so at the event and/or in writing to the City Development Department no later than 22nd November 2012. All written comments sent are not representations to the Council. An opportunity to make representations to the Council will be available when a formal application is submitted.

This proposal will take out around 1/4 of the park and runs along the edge of "Buzzard Wood" which is probably the busiest area used by the birds in the park (other than the bay) and is where both the Buzzard, and more importantly the Lesser Whitethroat, are strongly suspected of breeding this past summer. Lesser Whitethroat is apparently very susceptible to disturbance and needs quite a specific type of habitat which Buzzard Wood has, and is estimated to number around 400 breeding pairs in Scotland, mostly in the southwest, with very few sightings in Tayside (even on migration).

Nice morning for a visit from 9.30 to 10.45

Not much about and as the tide was in I never went along to the hide.
Only 18 species seen including Carrion Crow, Buzzard, Chaffinch, Dunnock, Goldfinch, Kestrel, Curlew, Blackbird, Mute Swan, Mallard, Teal, Grey Heron, Wood Pigeon, Greenfinch, Long Tailed Tit, Fieldfare, Bullfinch and a first for me here, a Short Eared Owl flying over and being mobbed by about a dozen crows.

Short Eared Owl is yet another great catch, Graham. Hope it sticks around. I suspect that there are plenty hunting opportunities for it around the park (although there could be some conflict with the Kestrel). Waxwings reported on Birdguides over the bay yesterday too.

117. Waxwing
118. Short Eared Owl

Popped down to the DCA for the exhibition after work. Had an interesting discussion with the council folk with regards the plans, but if it goes ahead I think it will have a major impact on the range of species that will be possible to see in what is currently (outside of the bay) the most productive area in terms of bird species to see, as well as potentially losing Lesser Whitethroat from the area for good, due to disturbance.

i was at the park 8.00am-9.15 am i must have just missed you graham,
buzzard wood, 3 bullfinches,2males 1 female,2 wrens,1 dunnock,robin,goldfinch,chaffinch,robin,the car park trees only had 1 blue tit ,chaffinches,just around the corner a heron was hunting in the grass,the lochan had 17 teals,6 mallards plus the 2 mutes,aproaching the hide a very agitated wren was sitting on top of a post,approx 60 redshanks were sleeping close to the hide ,2 ringed dippers were at the enterance to the tunnel,they were joined by a third dipper which was promptly chased off,2 goosanders swam up into the tunnel,1 cormorant,lots of teals,herring gull,black headed gull,carrion crows,mallards were seen here,walking around by the dump area ,1 buzzard,1 curlew flying over,goldfinches,dunnocks,robin,woodpigeon,blackbird,pinkfoots flying over,
while trying to get a pic of a greenfinch feeding on berries around from the car park i was surprised by the fox which crossed the path then returned to stand in the middle of the path about 40 feet away,it was very sunny and the fox was standing in a shaddow which meant it was hard to get a decent pic even though it was so close

Attachments

• fox1b.jpg
    fox1b.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 73
  • fox2b.jpg
    fox2b.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 86
  • goosander.JPG
    goosander.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 68
  • wren8.jpg
    wren8.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 56
  • dippers.JPG
    dippers.JPG
    454.4 KB · Views: 86
Quick visit this afternoon when I finished mulching the garden with the "coup compost".

Along to the hide end to look for any waxwing but no luck.
Seen a Spotted Redshank in the bay and the silver/blue, orange/yellow ringed Dipper in the burn.
Also seen the fox coming up the track that leads down to the beach at the south west end. No sign of the (injured?) pink foot anywhere!!!

Popped down for a few hours late morning, and once again managed to misjudge the tide. It was in when I got to the hide with the pipe completely covered, so waders are missing again from my list today. Species seen were -

Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Blue Tit, Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Cormorant, Goldcrest, Goldfinch, Goosander, Great Tit, Greenfinch, Herring Gull, Kestrel, Linnet, Mallard, Meadow Pipit, Mute Swan, Pink Footed Goose, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Siskin, Sparrowhawk, Starling, Teal, Woodpigeon and Yellowhammer.

In addition, Ian Ford had two flocks of Waxwings over the park and two Snipe in a boggy area before I got there. I still need Waxwings for my year (and park) list.....

flock of 5 yellowhammers by the dump area ,1 m bullfinch with the chaffinches/goldfinches at the car park,the gs woodpecker was perched on a tree here,1 song thrush and 1 pied wagtail beside buzzard wood,kestrel and buzzard both seen hunting,a robin in the bushes beside the earth viewing point has lost some feathers/skin on its left cheek ,looks like it has been the victim of an attack but it has its eye,several flocks of low flying pinfoots flew over ,the birds were just visable in the fog but could certainly be heard

Attachments

• r1.JPG
    r1.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 63
  • ks1.JPG
    ks1.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 60
  • bb1.jpg
    bb1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 48
  • pw1.jpg
    pw1.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 47
  • yllw1.jpg
    yllw1.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 46
Spent the morning promoting the park with other Friends of Riverside Nature Park committee members at Roseangle church. Quite a lot of interest, with plenty comment about the Park and Ride proposal, mostly (though not 100%) negative in nature. If you haven't already done so, please send comments on the proposal to doug.farnan at dundeecity . gov . uk. before 22nd November.

Popped home for birding gear then straight back out to the park for 1.30pm. There until around 4.15pm. 29 species seen -

Bar Tailed Godwit (4 or so), Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Blue Tit, Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Cormorant, Curlew(2), Dipper(2) - one ringed blue/silver & yellow/white, Dunlin (most I've seen in the bay for a while), Dunnock, Goldfinch, Grey Heron, Greylage Goose (7 in bay), Herring Gull, Kestrel (great close views with kill at soil test plots), Long Tailed Tit, Mallard, Meadow Pipit (1 at hill), Mute Swan, Oystercatcher, Pink Footed Goose (small groups returning to roost at dusk), Redshank (decent numbers in the bay again), Robin, Sparrowhawk (female seen a couple of times), Teal, Whooper Swan (7 eastwards over the park around 3.30pm), Woodpigeon.

Attachments

• 8193076883_b9b23cb822_c.jpg
    8193076883_b9b23cb822_c.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 8194170676_352d275b8d_c.jpg
    8194170676_352d275b8d_c.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 8194163592_a457828785_c.jpg
    8194163592_a457828785_c.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 8193078603_b590b749a4_c.jpg
    8193078603_b590b749a4_c.jpg