• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tips for seeing owls (1 Viewer)

Matt 82

Hello.

I'd like to see more owls. I've only ever seen two barn owls while I was driving. Any tips on how to increase that number?

There's a field near my house that I regularly see a buzzard and kestrel hunting. Will owls likely share that hunting ground or will they steer clear?

And secondly; what's a good time to see them? Dusk? Midnight? Does their behaviour change in winter?

Thanks.

Apologies for bumping this particular thread but it seemed the most appropriate place to discuss my afternoon.

Just back from taking the dog out at Elliot (Arbroath) where I was lucky enough to watch FOUR Short-Eared owls hunting along the length of Arbroath golf course between Elliot and Hatton. I've seen the odd singleton on occasion but never 4 in reasonably close proximity.

Time was between 3-4pm (light starting to fade) and they certainly weren't perturbed by me or the dog. A joy to behold and topped off by the appearance of the local Kestrel pair hunting the same stretch.

The best days always seem to be the ones when you're not expecting anything:t:

Hello.

I'd like to see more owls. I've only ever seen two barn owls while I was driving. Any tips on how to increase that number?

There's a field near my house that I regularly see a buzzard and kestrel hunting. Will owls likely share that hunting ground or will they steer clear?

And secondly; what's a good time to see them? Dusk? Midnight? Does their behaviour change in winter?

Thanks.

For three Irish owls I would first look on large areas of rough grassland/pasture/moor at sunset or dusk or daybreak. Large number of rodents, as evidenced by constant presence of hunting buzzards, herons or similar is naturally good.

Short-eared Owl is already active in late afternoon. It often bickers with local birds of prey.

For all owls, getting to know local reports would be the best. In winter Long-eared Owls sometimes roost in groups in thick conifers in gardens at the edges of villages and towns. If you get an info about such roost, it is great occasion to see long-eared owl at daytime.

Could I add a note of caution and ask people to be circumspect about who they tell about owl roosts (esp Long-eared Owl)? These are more easily disturbed than some appreciate and whilst in the past most of us were happy to view through a 'scope and from a distance, the increasing popularity of digital photography means some well meaning, but inexperienced, photographers sometimes approach too close to get that better shot

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back