• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

canon foot (1 Viewer)

pimpelmees

hello, has someone removed the foot of a long telelens (400mm f2,8, 500mm, 600mm ) and replaced it with a replacement foot or for installing a lenscoat and was this a problem ??

Yes, no and no. Yes I have removed the feet from a 600 F4 L IS and 800 F5.6 L IS, no I did not use a replacement foot and no it's not a problem!

Hope that made sense! It is quite easy to do just make certain that the Allen key is a good fit and you shouldn't have any issues.

It's a piece of cake, as John says just make sure you use the right size of key to avoid damaging the screw heads. I have replaced the Canon ones on both 500 and 600 lenses.

hello, has someone removed the foot of a long telelens (400mm f2,8, 500mm, 600mm ) and replaced it with a replacement foot or for installing a lenscoat and was this a problem ??

I've always replaced my original Canon lens "feet" with aftermarket ones from either Really Right Stuff or Kirk. The key, as others have said, is to use the correct Allen wrench, and to take your time doing it. There's no reason to use any Loctite or similar substance as I've found that the screws remain tight.

I would not use locktite or similar as you could have problems if you ever need to remove it.
I bought my first "Big White" (400 F2.8) back in 2009 and have yet to have one of these bolts loosen or to have seen it on other people's lenses.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back