• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown Birds, Sask, Canada (1 Viewer)

AlainaLee

Ive got bird 1 - a sparrow of some sort from Banff, AB
Bird 2- a Barn Swallow? (possibly.. the other ones ive seen look different then this)
Bird 3- Unknown type? Sparrow?
Bird 4 - Unknown - could it be a sparrow?
Bird 5 - COuld it be a Chipping Sparrow?

Attachments

• banff - DSC_8894.jpg
    banff - DSC_8894.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC_0218 2.jpg
    DSC_0218 2.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC_0989 2.jpg
    DSC_0989 2.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC_6270 2.jpg
    DSC_6270 2.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 71
  • sparrow - DSC_1692.jpg
    sparrow - DSC_1692.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 79
ohh wow okay thank you!! thought the house sparrows were different! (or thats the male im thinking of?)
i have pictures of barn swallows that dont have the neck markings and have an all orange front... thats why i thought these were sdifferent!

ohh wow okay thank you!! thought the house sparrows were different! (or thats the male im thinking of?)

I think your house sparrow is a youngster? - I see a yellow gape around the mouth... Is this a recent photo? (Are sparrows fledging already?)

i have pictures of barn swallows that dont have the neck markings and have an all orange front... thats why i thought these were sdifferent!

I was thinking this swallow looked a bit different too, but looking around, I guess it's not an unusual one. On the opus entry, one of the birds looks like the one you expected - lots of orange. Apparently even within a subspecies of swallows, there's quite a bit of variation (a nice illustration here). For myself, if I think there's only one possible identity (e.g. American Robin), I find I don't look at the details of a bird much. As I looked at the swallow pictures I realized I only had a rough idea about their exact markings (which do vary with subspecies as well).

I don't see anything off about this Swallow.

However American Barn Swallows are considerably buffier (esp. around underparts) than that of say European ones.

all the previous ones ive photographed look like this.. no necklace markings, and a different/darker stomach colour

Attachments

• barn swallow - DSC_1886.jpg
    barn swallow - DSC_1886.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 36
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back