• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another rubbish book about birdwatching (1 Viewer)

I think they were comparing Bosticks character to a Skua stealing fish from Penguins. Not a movie mistake.

Rich

Phew! I thought that the long distance flights were causing me hallucinations! I was worried about the effects of even longer flights to Australia!

P.S. I also have a vague recollection of flamingos, but am I in the realms of Alice in Wonderland there?

Last edited:
To D Wallace - thank you very much for that indeed. It is a bit Hampshirecentric for obvious reasons but I did branch out to Norfolk in the 1980s and Scilly quite a few times too.

BTW on the basis of the content I have been invited to give a talk (as mentioned elsewhere on this channel) in December more details later for those interested (you might even get a mention if you are from Hampshire, D Wallace will after the Hook with Warsash Wryneck incident!)

Phew! I thought that the long distance flights were causing me hallucinations! I was worried about the effects of even longer flights to Australia!

P.S. I also have a vague recollection of flamingos, but am I in the realms of Alice in Wonderland there?

There was a Renault Clio in there somewhere as well Allen. I thought it was a blunder but it was in a montage type scene.

Unlike others I really enjoyed the film. Very easy going.

Rich

I've just finished "Birduder 344 - A life list ordinary" by Rob Sawyer. It's pretty amusing although perhaps of more interest to Hampshire birders as some of the local sites and birding characters are mentioned. Listing features heavily, but then so do pubs.

Well worth a read.

Dave W

Maybe I should read it to see if I rate any of the pubs B :)

John

Not that many pub actually mentioned by name, although Venison sausages in the Bell at Brook comes to mind. Harnser in Cley and Bull Hotel in Mildenhall too I think.

Jos you need to sort your arithmetic out ;) (I made it every 4th)

Lastly Dorset gets a good mention too - without suppressed birds :smoke:

There was a Renault Clio in there somewhere as well ..................

Rich

Renault Clio? What bloody planes do you lot travel on? I'm lucky if I can get enough room for my 'hand luggage' and both legs, never mind a car!
"Little Black Bird Book" - because its a bit too true in places,
"Wild America" - because it's about 'real' birding, none of this "I've got to make a name for myself" twaddle,
"The Biggest Twitch" - because it's something we all should do at least once (bugger work, the kids and all the other mundane things)
"To See Every Bird" - just a good description of a father / son relationship and how birding can affect some people.

Chris

Not that many pub actually mentioned by name, although Venison sausages in the Bell at Brook comes to mind. Harnser in Cley and Bull Hotel in Mildenhall too I think.

Jos you need to sort your arithmetic out ;) (I made it every 4th)

Lastly Dorset gets a good mention too - without suppressed birds :smoke:

I quite like the Fighting Cocks at Godshill (just up from the fabulously named Sandy Balls holiday camp) and further afield I have had many good beers and eaten many animals I had previously been photographing at the Old Bridge Inn at Aviemore.

John

The author has understandably forgotten some of the pubs he visited. The Bittern and Fisher's Pond receive a bad press. Also mentioned are the Mermaid, the Star Castle, Walkford Inn, Old Bull Inn,Three Chimneys Restaurant, the Scillonian Club and the Blues Restaurant amongst others.

Dave W

I find that a lot of birding books are based more around self-marketing than actual birds.
You know how when you start birdwatching you automatically start blogging and stop using your real name. You'd change it to the Big bad birder or something.
some of the older books are well worth a read, I'd second Roger tory petersons work, anything that actually includes a passion for the birds.

The author has understandably forgotten some of the pubs he visited. The Bittern and Fisher's Pond receive a bad press. Also mentioned are the Mermaid, the Star Castle, Walkford Inn, Old Bull Inn,Three Chimneys Restaurant, the Scillonian Club and the Blues Restaurant amongst others.

Dave W

Ah well, I guess the Bishop and Wolf, Old Town Inn and for the older reader, the Porthcressa should feature!

The Old Quayhouse Inn at Hayle, The Pilot at Dunge (in a storm), the Salen Hotel on Ardnamurchan.... there's a thread in this....

John

The Porthcressa - oh yes that is mentioned a few times indeed! I had forgotten how many pubs I did mention - there were hundreds more I am sure! Regarding the Fighting Cocks at Godstone near Sandy Balls, that would be a pub tick for me. In fact, sad to say, away from birdwatching I have started new Hampshire pub tick per month, even got some non-birdwatchers involved, well heavy drinkers actually.

Perhaps we should do like we did when I was on an aviation forum and have the M27 birders piss up somewhere! (I could set up a stall and flog books, and 2 minutes later get to the bar) ;-)

The Porthcressa - oh yes that is mentioned a few times indeed! I had forgotten how many pubs I did mention - there were hundreds more I am sure! Regarding the Fighting Cocks at Godstone near Sandy Balls, that would be a pub tick for me. In fact, sad to say, away from birdwatching I have started new Hampshire pub tick per month, even got some non-birdwatchers involved, well heavy drinkers actually.

Perhaps we should do like we did when I was on an aviation forum and have the M27 birders piss up somewhere! (I could set up a stall and flog books, and 2 minutes later get to the bar) ;-)

Beer... birds.... aviation.... I like the cut of your jib! I'm a Mosquito nut when I'm not enjoying the natural world.

John

This is a very curious review, not only are the author and title not mentioned but it appears most other birdwatching books are a waste of time.

I look forward to the OP's opus.

In the meantime here is a short list of books about birdwatching that are not a waste of time. One of them got me into birding.... guess which.

Birders - Tales of a Tribe (Mark Cocker)
Bill Oddie's Little Black Bird Book
The Big Twitch (Sean Dooley)
The Big Year (Obmaschik)
Kingbird Highway (Ken Kaufman)
Gripping Yarns (W E Oddie)
Bluff Your Way at Birdwatching (Steven Sonsino)

John

I would say Ken Kaufman's book is by far the best of this genre. A truly moving book, full of existential pondering.

FJ I am assuming you mean the DH98 version rather than the irritating 6 legged thing? A truly magnificent machine, I once met RR299 at Duxford after it had flown in from Brough, clicking away, sad it died at Barton (and Hoof Proudfoot with it).

Well I hope the rubbish book is not mine, but will have to take it on the chin if it is I guess - gulp.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back