• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

China 2010 (1 Viewer)

Monday, 13th April, 6.30 to 9am

Shanghai, Ruijin Guest House

The Ruijin Guest House in the old French quarter of central Shanghai is a wonderful place for an early morning stroll - assuming you can persuade the security guards that you have a good reason to be there.

Taking photos of Chinese Blackbirds and White's Thrushes is perhaps not high on their list of acceptable reasons - particularly when they are expecting a delegation of high-ranking government officials.

But after I showed the guard one of the photos of the Chinese Blackbird I had just taken, he just shook his head and, convinced of my insanity (after all who in their right mind gets up at 6.30 in the morning to take photos of birds?), he left me be.

The 10 or so Chinese Blackbirds (259) showed very well indeed. Anyone who thinks that this is not a valid species, should have a look at the photos. As well as the more-muscular frame, bigger bill, and distinct eye make-up, the song is very different to its European cousin.

The White's Thrushes (260) were also a delight. At one point there were three of them feeding within 30 yards of each other on the lawn. I managed to get a photo of 2 in the same picture, but all 3 would have been a job for a wider lens.

I watched them for about half an hour using the knee-trembling technique straight out of the worm-hunters manual (chapter 7). The rapid stamping on the earth presumably brought the worms to the surface where they were quickly added to the fuel supply for their long trips to Siberia.

Attachments

• Chinese Blackbird, Shanghai, 13th April.jpg
    Chinese Blackbird, Shanghai, 13th April.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 90
  • Chinese Blackbird 2, Shanghai, 13th April.jpg
    Chinese Blackbird 2, Shanghai, 13th April.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Chinese Blackbird 3, Shanghai, 13th April.jpg
    Chinese Blackbird 3, Shanghai, 13th April.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 86
  • White's Thrush, Shanghai, 13th April.jpg
    White's Thrush, Shanghai, 13th April.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 88
  • White's Thrush 2, Shanghai, 13th April.jpg
    White's Thrush 2, Shanghai, 13th April.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Sorry, but I can't resist adding just one more...

This is my favourite shot of the day.

Attachments

• White's Thrush 3, Shanghai, 13th April.jpg
    White's Thrush 3, Shanghai, 13th April.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 104
Sorry, but I can't resist adding just one more...

This is my favourite shot of the day.

any of you chaps ever seen them fanning their undertail coverts and tail while doing this?

I was told by a reliable source (I believe..) that White's Thrush also attract worms to surface by er expelling air through their cloaca and wafting it over their chosen area

which is so wonderful I would very much like it to be true

I have narrowly missed seeing it on one occasion and it remains a cherished ambition (to see it that is, not manage it myself)..

Thanks Richard, Rockfowl and Ed

With regard to Ed's question concerning White's worm-wafting (worm-hunters' manual chapter 13 if my memory serves me well)... no, I can't say I've ever observed it.

But I'll certainly keep an eye open for it during the next encounter (while standing up-wind of course).

Talking of wind... CNN say that that there will be heavy rain and high winds in Shanghai tomorrow...

On the off chance they are right, then my plan to go over to Chongming Island for Reed Parrotbill would not the best I've ever hatched.

So let me decide now to knock it on the head and publish a few of the photos I took last year there, instead.

(worry not, I'm of course not counting it on this year's photo-list... which stands at 260 species)

The photos were taken on 8th March at Dongtan.

Attachments

• 3345287299_b84156162d_o.jpg
    3345287299_b84156162d_o.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 3345313745_94eea80d7d_o.jpg
    3345313745_94eea80d7d_o.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 3346149478_a3d2e8d703_o.jpg
    3346149478_a3d2e8d703_o.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 3346151704_aaedc3af34_o.jpg
    3346151704_aaedc3af34_o.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Oooooer, never seen one, would like to, especially now I've been 'enlightened' by these images! Off for a pint of Irelands finest to dwell on the subject of 'must travel more in China' ;)

any of you chaps ever seen them fanning their undertail coverts and tail while doing this?

I was told by a reliable source (I believe..) that White's Thrush also attract worms to surface by er expelling air through their cloaca and wafting it over their chosen area

which is so wonderful I would very much like it to be true

I have narrowly missed seeing it on one occasion and it remains a cherished ambition (to see it that is, not manage it myself)..

LOL, never noticed this in many long sessions watching White's, I'll have to keep an eye on accompanying thrushes to see if any suddenly move away ! ;)

On the off chance they are right, then my plan to go over to Chongming Island for Reed Parrotbill would not the best I've ever hatched.
How about the allopatric (Liaoning/Heilongjiang) polivanovi – Northern/Polivanov's Parrotbill – split by IOC and Dickinson 2003 (H&M3), and 'under review' by BirdLife International.

CBR 2005 reported five at Shuangtaihe NR, Panjin, Liaoning in Mar 2005. OBI has only one image, but taken in Russia:
http://orientalbirdimages.org/searc...esult&Bird_ID=1472&Bird_Family_ID=&pagesize=1

I wonder if it's been photographed recently in China? Now there's a challenge... ;)

Richard

Rockfowl, take comfort in a few words of Guinness wisdom: "Good things come to those who wait"

Thanks birdboybowley, pleased that you like 'em.

Yes Richard, The BBBC has already split the two species:

I am planning a June trip up north to look for a few of the region's finest, including the rarely-seen let alone photographed Polivanov's Parrotbill.

Anyhow, it's not raining yet, so better check-out of the hotel and head for some trees and bushes...

Bye for now.

Shanghai, 14th April, 10.50am (3.50am BST)

Thanks Etudiant, that's very kind of you.

I was hoping for a few more photo-nuggets today but things, so far, are conspiring against me.

After checking-out of the hotel, I headed for the Xijiao Guest House, which is one of the best birding locations in Shanghai.

Over the years I have seen some real gems here, but then again I've also, at times, gone away empty handed because of The People's Liberation Army (PLA). Today looks like being one of those days.

The PLA are everywhere, and are preventing access to the core bidring area, so my plan for four or five hours of relaxing birding before taking the short ride to the airport, has fallen apart somewhat.

The core area (the nice bit with the lake) has been reserved for govenment ministers from Beijing who have decided they need a bit of R&R (or, then again, maybe it's just a coincidence that the Chinese president is with Obama on the other side of the world today ;-)

(The best bit is so good, in fact, that even Her Royal Highness, Queen Elizabeth II, spent time here when she came to Shanghai many years ago.)

There is, though, a small area that's still open to hotel guests (I'm eating a pizza in their restaurant as I type this - one of the best pizzas in Shanghai incidentally - so I'm technically a guest I suppose).

So, as a paying customer as it were, I've just spent 2 hours in this area... an area I usually don't visit. To be on the safe side - because the PLA were also patrolling here, too, even though they haven't blocked it off - I kept my bins and camera in my bag. The camera was within easy reach of course, just in case I found one of several species that would be "new for the year".

I turned a corner and saw something move in a bush, next to the path. I talked myself out of getting my camera out... until at least I had established what it was.

It move again, this time towards me and landed four yards away in the open. I looked at it, blinked, and looked at it again.

Incredibly, I was looking at a new bird. Not just new for the year, and new for me in Shanghai, and in China... but a NEW bird!

I was looking, with my mouth open, at a Japanese Robin.

After a couple of seconds I came to my senses. And slowly made a move for the camera.

New birds don't let you do this of course. And it flitted into the bushes. I waited, and waited, and waited some more. Should I go in? Should I hastily construct a bird table? Or was there a garden spade handy that I could stick into the ground?

After 90 minutes of trying various things, I thought I should try something really radical... retreat to the restaurant, order a pizza and think about the next plan of attack.

The PLA may indeed be heavily armed, but I've got a big lens and I'm on a mission...

So, once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more. Cry God for Harry, England, and Saint George!

Last edited:
Can't wait for the next installment, guess if there isn't one, the PLA have removed Shi Jin :eek!:

Japanese Robin, very smart birds! - surprised you haven't found one on the coast after all these years ;)

Beijing, 14th April 2010, 9.50pm (1.50pm GMT)

I've just arrived safely back in Beijing (on a civilian airline you may be surprised to hear).

But, did I get a photo of the Japanese Robin you may (or more likely may not) be wondering.

I was more than up for taking on the might of the PLA but, as I emerged after my pizza, I saw something that knocked the stuffing out of me...

CNN had actually got something right... it was, as they had forecast, peeing down.

After an hour of standing under spindly bamboo, my soaked clothes were a sure sign that it was time for me to raise the white flag... after I'd wrung it out that is.

Last edited:
Shame. Hope you get another chance this spring.
Any thoughts of revising your target, 365 is looking pretty easy, assuming you stay ahead of the PLA ...

Rob

Hi Edenwatcher, Regarding the target, I'm flattered that you would like me to continue, but I'd be more than happy to get to and stick at 365.

Hi Rockfowl, yes, indeed, twas indeed a CMF ;-)

To make amends for not posting a single shot yesterday (actually I thought better of posting photos of Little Grebe and Southern Great Tit - both new for the year, but not really crowd pleasers), I'm attaching a few of my favourite photos from yesteryear (all from Beidaihe).

A taster of things soon-to-come with a bit of luck ;-)

Attachments

• Lanceolated Warbler profile.jpg
    Lanceolated Warbler profile.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Mugimaki Flycatcher, female.jpg
    Mugimaki Flycatcher, female.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Siberian Blue Robin, Beidaihe area, Hebei province, China..jpg
    Siberian Blue Robin, Beidaihe area, Hebei province, China..jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Siberian Rubythroat.jpg
    Siberian Rubythroat.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Japanese Grosbeak, Beidaihe area, Hebei province, China....jpg
    Japanese Grosbeak, Beidaihe area, Hebei province, China....jpg
    101 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
You may be surprised about what is crowd-pleasing Shi Jin.

I had a visitor to HK who was an experienced tour guide who's just come back from a trip to Australia tell me that the most surreal bird of the trip was one of our greyscale Great Tits!

Post 'em all, I say!

Cheers

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back