• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A toughie........ (1 Viewer)

mrmanning

Southern Ontario Birder
I don't have a picture here.

Everyday that I got fishing, I can hear birds near the shore of the river, and today was the first time I saw them, but not long enough to get a picture.

These birds are very small, think small finch. The colour scheme is dull, like grey/tan/brown maybe? Picture like a miniature red eye vireo. The birds hang out on the river's edge, but up in tall leafy trees. The song is a 10 second warbled/whistle notes of complex and varied notes, though it generally sounds the same every time, almost like a progression from a lower note to a higher one, with no break in the song. They do it all day.
They are hopping all about in the branches, but I am yet to see them on the ground.

I'd just like some idead to explore next time I am out and actually have my camera. Any thoughts?

Thanks!~

I don't have a picture here.

Everyday that I got fishing, I can hear birds near the shore of the river, and today was the first time I saw them, but not long enough to get a picture.

These birds are very small, think small finch. The colour scheme is dull, like grey/tan/brown maybe? Picture like a miniature red eye vireo. The birds hang out on the river's edge, but up in tall leafy trees. The song is a 10 second warbled/whistle notes of complex and varied notes, though it generally sounds the same every time, almost like a progression from a lower note to a higher one, with no break in the song. They do it all day.
They are hopping all about in the branches, but I am yet to see them on the ground.

I'd just like some idead to explore next time I am out and actually have my camera. Any thoughts?

Thanks!~

The only one that comes to mind is House Wren. They have a vary loud jumbled song that starts at a pitch, quickly progresses to a zenith, then drops a bit and ends on that note.

Thanks for the reply!

I actually was just going through some bird songs, when I came upon the song of the bird in question, and it turns out, it is a warbling vireo. This fishing spot I go to is full of them, so I am going to bring my camera tomorrow and grab some pics. Thanks for the reply!

I was just going to suggest Warbling Vireo! So your description was pretty good.

Their song is tough for me to get a handle on. I always get it the song confused with Purple/House Finch, though usually habitat helps with that problem.

Hi Posted before reading the other posts including your second post For those on this side of the pond Warbling Vireo song sounds a lot like Willow Warbler

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back