• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 2.0TC Mk11 vs Mk111 (1 Viewer)

Out of interest, which way would the 1.4x converters stack - would the Canon or the Kenko go on to the body? Have considered getting a Canon 1.4x to go with my 300 f4 and Kenko 1.4x as I suspect the quality wouldn't be far off the same lens with a 2x but with a possibility of AF on the centre point that would be a plus point for slower moving targets.

Paul

Out of interest, which way would the 1.4x converters stack - would the Canon or the Kenko go on to the body? Have considered getting a Canon 1.4x to go with my 300 f4 and Kenko 1.4x as I suspect the quality wouldn't be far off the same lens with a 2x but with a possibility of AF on the centre point that would be a plus point for slower moving targets.

Paul
Camera > Kenko > Canon , that's the only way it can physically go Paul. Well worth a go with a f4 lens as you will lose very little from a 2x tc and your set-up will attempt top AF on a non one series Camera without having to tape any pins.

Well I finally bit the bullet, listened to the majority opinion and decided to give the Mk111 TC / extenders a go.
Anyway, very early days after a few test shots in the garden but I have to admit I can see a difference using my 70-200mm f2.8 MK11. The increase in sharpness is evident but, due to lack of DOF, you need to increase the f stop to 11 imo , as I also found to be the case with the Mk11 .This means that whereas it might be very useful for macro photography, you can loose the nice bokeh at this f-stop.
What it will be like on my Mk11 500mm f4 remains to be seen, maybe this means f13 ?
When it comes to AF acquisition I haven't noticed a difference is speed between the Mk11 and 111 as the f2.8 was pretty hot with the Mk11 also.
Might be a different ball game with the 500mm f4, I'm waiting for the weather to improve to test it !

Attachments

• f5.6.jpg
    f5.6.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 57
  • f11.jpg
    f11.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 62
  • bee at f5.6.jpg
    bee at f5.6.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 70
So now some enough time has passed by for those who have made the switch to use the MKIII more thoroughly in the real world, can I ask what their thoughts are?

Cheers guys.

So now some enough time has passed by for those who have made the switch to use the MKIII more thoroughly in the real world, can I ask what their thoughts are?

Cheers guys.

As you can see from my posts I switched a while ago and since then my opinion has been reinforced.
A while after I sold my Canon 2 x Mk2 extender I bought a used Canon 300 F2.8 L IS Mk1. Coupled with the Canon 2 x Mk3 extender it wasn't shamed by my Canon 600 F4 L IS in decent light. A friend of mine, whilst borrowing my 300 F2.8 + 2 x Mk3, has sold a number of images and been taken up by a couple of stock libraries. The images were mainly of Kingfishers and taken with an old Canon 40D so the 2 x Mk3 must be doing it's job. Admittedly she is a very good photographer ( I helped teach her) - the trouble is that she is now better than both me and her other teacher - :C

So often wildlife photographers yearn for more reach, it's an automatic thing, a constant desire to get closer to the subject so more often than not a TC is a permanent attachment to your longest lens. Not so me with the 2.0TC Mk111. The 1.4Mk111 is usually on the end of my 500mm and it's only occasionally I will resort to the 2.0x.
Why ? To be honest the IQ is good but not quite as sharp as with the 1.4. A larger crop with the latter might be equally effective. The biggest reason though is the lack of available focus points you are limited to using with an f4 lens. You get a choice of single centre point or a cluster of 4 in the centre. Composing a shot is more difficult, particularly if the subject is moving.
Used on a faster lens such as the 70-200 or 300mm f2.8 there is more flexibility however, I don't tend to need a 2.0X TC on those lenses as I have a 500mm ! If the 300mm was my longest lens it would certainly be a must have.
The combination of a 300mm f2.8 and a 2.0TC is also seen as an ideal walk about combination but that said, I traded my 500mm and 600mm MK1 lenses to buy a 500mm MK11. I miss the reach the 600mm gave me, the 2.0MK111 TC was an attempt to compensate and to a point it does. However, the loss of reach is more than compensated by the weight of the 500mm which is a joy to hold but it does come at quite a price.

Was out today with not too much about other than a pair of Stonechat. They were obliging to a point but only if I kept a distance of about 25 feet. I cursed that I no longer had my 600mm but then decided I would put the 2.0TC to the test.
Here's two shots straight out of the camera, one with the 1.4TC MK111, the other with the 2.0Mk111. The lens is a 500mm f4 MK11 and the new version TCs allegedly perform best on the latest model lenses.
The camera body is the 5DMk111
Both were shot at ISO 400 f8 1/1250th sec.

It was a quick change from the 1.4 TC tot he 2.0TC before the bird flew as I wanted as close a comparison as possible.

Attachments

• Stonechat 1.4TC 2014-03-26.jpg
    Stonechat 1.4TC 2014-03-26.jpg
    540.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Stonechat 2.0xTC 2014-03-26.jpg
    Stonechat 2.0xTC 2014-03-26.jpg
    477.5 KB · Views: 69
Unfortunately the angle on the birds head wasn't quite the same, certainly the focus point on the 2.0TC shot was right on the eye which has a nice glint from the sun. When you look at them at 100 % crop and with a bit of post processing which included lightening the eye on the 1.4 version, this is what you get as a comparison.

Attachments

• Stonechat 1.4TC 100% plus PP 2014-03-26.jpg
    Stonechat 1.4TC 100% plus PP 2014-03-26.jpg
    584.3 KB · Views: 78
  • Stonechat 2.0xTC plus PP 2014-03-26.jpg
    Stonechat 2.0xTC plus PP 2014-03-26.jpg
    526.2 KB · Views: 79
Of course in neither case would you probably want a finished article that looks as either of these two do, they are purely as a like for like 100% crop. I was surprised to see just how good the IQ on the 2.0TC really is and in fact if you try to crop the 1.4 shot to a similar size you are starting to loose pixels for the same image size.
The 2.0TC wins !

There is a proviso though. You need good light for starters as you are stuck with f8. In my example the 2.0 has the advantage of being side on too because depth of field does play a part in critical sharpness. The other factor is the more you lengthen the distance of your lens by using a TC, the more that motion comes in to play. You need a very steady base as all movement is exaggerated. I think a tripod is probably best practice.
As I mentioned in a previous post though one of the big drawbacks is the limited focus points, particularly for trying to get flight shots.
My final two pictures are a rough idea of what sort of final image you might want out of the original shots I took.
There isn't a lot to call between the two really.
Another thing to consider as well is that the long the reach you have the more distortion in the image because of heat haze so again, it's all about distance to the subject and it's size.

And a final thought, of course these examples are on a 500mm f4 lens. It would be a different set of criteria on a faster f2.8 lens,

Hopefully though, although not exactly highly scientific, I might have helped anyone decide on whether or not to buy a 2.0xTC. Now the one thing I'm still not totally convinced about is if the MK111 is any better than the MK11. Sadly I no longer have both to compare.

Attachments

• Stonechat 1.4TC  68% crop2014-03-26.jpg
    Stonechat 1.4TC 68% crop2014-03-26.jpg
    584.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Stonechat 2.0xTC 50% crop plus PP 2014-03-26.jpg
    Stonechat 2.0xTC 50% crop plus PP 2014-03-26.jpg
    558 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
There is a proviso though. You need good light for starters as you are stuck with f8. In my example the 2.0 has the advantage of being side on too because depth of field does play a part in critical sharpness. The other factor is the more you lengthen the distance of your lens by using a TC, the more that motion comes in to play. You need a very steady base as all movement is exaggerated. I think a tripod is probably best practice.
As I mentioned in a previous post though one of the big drawbacks is the limited focus points, particularly for trying to get flight shots.
My final two pictures are a rough idea of what sort of final image you might want out of the original shots I took.
There isn't a lot to call between the two really.
Another thing to consider as well is that the long the reach you have the more distortion in the image because of heat haze so again, it's all about distance to the subject and it's size.

And a final thought, of course these examples are on a 500mm f4 lens. It would be a different set of criteria on a faster f2.8 lens,

Hopefully though, although not exactly highly scientific, I might have helped anyone decide on whether or not to buy a 2.0xTC. Now the one thing I'm still not totally convinced about is if the MK111 is any better than the MK11. Sadly I no longer have both to compare.

I am glad too read that you are getting on with your 2 x Mk3 extender.
You, quite rightly, point out that it needs good light with an F4 lens - the same applies with an F2.8 lens though it is not quite as critical. I don't, normally, use either of my extenders at long range as (as you state) there are other factors that will degrade the image as range increases. With my 300 F2.8 I use extenders to allow me to shoot smaller subjects in detail up to about 15 meters - closer if possible!
The fact that you are even considering that the reduced number of AF points might be a disadvantage for flight shots shows the advantage of the 2 x Mk3 compared to the Mk2 3:)
As we have discused before I was convinced about the advantages of the 2 x Mk3 over the Mk2 as soon as I started using it and I wasn't using a Mk2 Supertele of the latest cameras at that time. I think if you had your 2 x Mk2 back to compare - you would quietly bury it.
Hope you are well - John.

P.S. flog your 1D4 and 5D3 and get a 1DX - you know you want one!:t:

P.S. flog your 1D4 and 5D3 and get a 1DX - you know you want one!:t:

Hi John,
I have considered it but it's always handy to have a back up body and although I'm sure the 1DX would be brilliant for moving subjects with it's superior AF performance I'm not sure that the 18mps would allow the same crop ability of the 5D3 which is why so many 1DX owners have gone for a 600mm. I doubt many have both to compare.
To be honest, I'm more likely to sell the 1DMk1V and the 300mm f2.8 to buy a 1DX but that's unlikely at the moment too !
cheers Dave

Hi John,
I have considered it but it's always handy to have a back up body and although I'm sure the 1DX would be brilliant for moving subjects with it's superior AF performance I'm not sure that the 18mps would allow the same crop ability of the 5D3 which is why so many 1DX owners have gone for a 600mm. I doubt many have both to compare.
To be honest, I'm more likely to sell the 1DMk1V and the 300mm f2.8 to buy a 1DX but that's unlikely at the moment too !
cheers Dave

I have never had a chance to wring out a 5D3 but all the owners I know are very happy!
At the prices (E Bay) that good 300 F2.8 lenses are fetching then it could cover 80% of a 1DX on it's own.
If you are worried about cropping then you could always make me an offer on my 800 F5.6 3:) I have been musing on a 500 Mk2.....
If you PM me your E Mail address I can send you a couple of un-edited files to play with and see what you think.

Funny how a blank day can suddenly change ! Cold and fed up I left the Benarth hide at Conwy RSPB to head home when, as I was about to step out on to the estuary path, I spotted a Fox trotting towards me some 100m away. I decided to stay behind the hedge and see how close he'd come, in the meantime deciding that I'd stick the 2.0X TC on my 500mm. He came within about 30m but I wasn't sure if he was going to disappear in to the bramble hedge so I stepped out and grabbed a couple of shots. In actual fact he trotted back the way he'd come stopping to turn around and pose for this shot.
Hand held but with a shutter speed of 1/1250 th I haven't quite hit the spot I wanted with the focus point. It's slightly to the left of the Fox's nose. The other thing that you are stuck with is f8 with an f4 lens so the bokeh isn't as pleasing as it might have been. That said I think once again, it proves the 2.0xTCMk111 is no slouch and, especially as I have been suffering from a bad back for some time, the lighter weight of the 500mm MK 11 certainly is a help.

Attachments

• Fox 62014-03-28.jpg
    Fox 62014-03-28.jpg
    601.5 KB · Views: 89
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back