• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SIGMA 150 or 180 or converter (1 Viewer)

mdb2

SIGMA 150mm 2.8 OS or 180mm 2.8. OS or 1.4 converter this is the dilemma
I need guidance with. I feel I need a little more distance, for getting closer, to the more nervous dragonflies this coming season. I currently use a Canon 100is which is excellent. I tried to fit a kenko 1.4 converter to the 100is but it seemed to make a worrying noise on af so quickly disconnected it. Has anyone fitted a cannon converter? Successfully? Also I cannot quantify the general price difference between the Sigma 150os and 180os models the 180os is about twice the price for an extra 30 mm. Has any one any experience of these lenses to help my predicament
Please help as I cannot make my mind up
Thanks. Mike

Hope your 100 L is OK! This lens is not compatible with extenders.
If you want to use an extender you could try using a 13mm extension tube. I had to modify mine (see the left one in the attached image) to clear the front element of the extender.
Until recently I used a Canon 300 F4 L IS with and extension tube for Dragonflies and found it very good - the more distance you can get the better. This lens is also good if you are trying to photograph them in flight.
If you are looking to get static shots then photograph them when they are cold (first thing in the morning), this will allow you to get much closer.

Attachments

• extension3.JPG
    extension3.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 42
Obviously a Canon converter will not fit without an extension tube but I am surprised a Kenko tc does not work - I used to use one with my Canon 100 non IS macro lens but have never tried it with my 100 IS macro (got rid of the Kenko). Which version Kenko were you using?(there are at least three different ones around).

Obviously a Canon converter will not fit without an extension tube but I am surprised a Kenko tc does not work - I used to use one with my Canon 100 non IS macro lens but have never tried it with my 100 IS macro (got rid of the Kenko). Which version Kenko were you using?(there are at least three different ones around).

Hi Roy, many thanks for your reply, My kenko is the DGX pro 300 if my memory serves me well. Yes the 100is is good I had a lucky escape. the sigmas have good reports I may have to settle for the 150mm os which is generally around the £700 mark? But will not rule out the 300f4 is
Kind regards
Mike

Hi Roy, many thanks for your reply, My kenko is the DGX pro 300 if my memory serves me well.
Hmm, that's strange that it does not work then Mike - from what I have read the DG does not work with the 100 LIS but the DGX does providing it is not one of the early ones with a red dot (the green or blue dot ones should be OK) see HERE and HERE.

Hmm, that's strange that it does not work then Mike - from what I have read the DG does not work with the 100 LIS but the DGX does providing it is not one of the early ones with a red dot (the green or blue dot ones should be OK) see HERE and HERE.

Good morning Roy, wow i did not realise there were so many differentials. I have just checked and the converter is the DGX teleplus 1.4 pro 300. And by the made in Japan, is a green dot a further round there are two red dots, one being the the alignment dot.
Regards mike

Hope your 100 L is OK! This lens is not compatible with extenders.
If you want to use an extender you could try using a 13mm extension tube. I had to modify mine (see the left one in the attached image) to clear the front element of the extender.
Until recently I used a Canon 300 F4 L IS with and extension tube for Dragonflies and found it very good - the more distance you can get the better. This lens is also good if you are trying to photograph them in flight.
If you are looking to get static shots then photograph them when they are cold (first thing in the morning), this will allow you to get much closer.

hi John and thanks for your input, The canon 300 sounds like a good work around. I have tried my sigma 500f4.5 but it is a bit unwieldy and not as good as my sigma 150-500 for dragonflies in flight
Regards mike

Good morning Roy, wow i did not realise there were so many differentials. I have just checked and the converter is the DGX teleplus 1.4 pro 300. And by the made in Japan, is a green dot a further round there are two red dots, one being the the alignment dot.
Regards mike
The very early Kenko 1.4x DGX tc's had a compatibility problem with the Canon 70-200/4 IS and the Canon 100 LIS this was corrected by Kenko and the converters is reported to work fine with both lenses.

I use a Canon 100mm macro and a Sigma 150mm (the older non OS version), I have had the 180mm but did not find that the extra 30mm made much difference. I preferred the 300 f4 for dragonflies and butterflies and regret selling mine. There is one for sale in the classifieds for £700 (which is about right) you could go for that and see how you get on with it. If it doesn't suit your shooting style then you would loose little or no money selling it on. If I had the spare cash I would have bought it already, I am very tempted to sell my 400 f5.6 and buy another 300 f4...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back