• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What binoculars have the best build quality? (1 Viewer)

The Habicht's are very well built and very high quality. It shows you that a porro can be very tough too. 30 years of use with no problems is hard to argue with. IMO that is a very meaningful endurance test and says a LOT for the Habicht.

Last edited:
So the Nikon EDG 8x32 is even more tank then?

Build like a tank is only because of the weight?

See Hermann's post number 60.

I am not sure why you say 'only because of weight' but the phrase 'built like a tank' normally means 'heavily built' and the opposite of 'lightweight'.

Again, the phrase 'built like a tank' can be meant as a compliment or as a criticism. For these Leicas it is meant as a compliment because, as Hermann has pointed out, they have proved reliable and durable over many years.

Lee

The Habicht's are very well built and very high quality. It shows you that a porro can be very tough too. 30 years of use with no problems is hard to argue with. IMO that is a very meaningful endurance test and says a LOT for the Habicht.

There are enough older Porros around, even older than 30 years and they still do their job aswell. Nothing against the Habichts but not a proof that they are more rugged than others either.

An jgraider, can you name lighter binoculars that are a piece of crap? The 8x32 Victory FL ist 100gr less. Is it crap? Heavy is equal to quality?

Sagi

Take a look at Bob's post 51.
It looks to me as though you are thinking that the Leica BA and BN series 'bricks' were the original Trinovids but there were Trinovids before these and it is the older first series that is the basis of these newly promised ones.

Lee

Lee, you're correct !
I was thinking of the "bricks" |=)|
Thanks for the information.

So the Nikon EDG 8x32 is even more tank then?

Build like a tank is only because of the weight?

No, Odradek,

It is a matter of definition and English usage.

The phrase "built like a tank" is a "slang" English term that means sturdy, exceptionally strong construction and it is based, in the case of binoculars, on their appearance and how they feel in the hand and their weight, among other factors. Its use is not limited here in Bird Forum to just the Leica Trinovid.

On the matter of the Nikon EDG it has heavy, strong construction and it replaced the older Nikon HG Ls which also had heavy, strong construction. Both can be described as "being built like a tank."

Bob

Last edited:
I am not sure why you say 'only because of weight' but the phrase 'built like a tank' normally means 'heavily built' and the opposite of 'lightweight'.

Lee

I asked this question and your answer was nothing more than the weight of the BN and the Ultravid HD. Nothing else what explained the reputation.

When i read "build like a tank" then i could unterstand that weight is a factor. But it also implies (for me) that they are very sturdy when it comes to handling and every day use. As Hermann pointed out then, they are in use for over 20 years and still working fine. But there are older Leitz that also around and are working fine too. Dont get me wrong, i dont want to blame the BN´s. I like it a lot. I just want to know why this phrase is so often to read when it comes to the Trinovid BN. I never read somthing like "the old Trinis are heavy binos" it´s always "... they are build like a tank". Are there other Binos from that time period that are not that sturdy?

Last edited:
I asked this question and your answer was nothing more than the weight of the BN and the Ultravid HD. Nothing else what explained the reputation.

When i read "build like a tank" then i could unterstand that weight is a factor. But it also implies (for me) that they are very sturdy when it comes to handling and every day use. As Hermann pointed out then, they are in use for over 20 years and still working fine. But there are older Leitz that also around and are working fine too. Dont get me wrong, i dont want to blame the BN´s. I like it a lot. I just want to know why this phrase is so often to read when it comes to the Trinovid BN. I never read somthing like "the old Trinis are heavy binos" it´s always "... they are build like a tank". Are there other Binos from that time period that are not that sturdy?

Odradek,

Many times phrases like this are difficult to translate.

I'm sure you have phrases like that in German that are difficult to translate into English. In fact, since I studied German for 2 years in college, I am positive you do!;)

Bob

There are enough older Porros around, even older than 30 years and they still do their job aswell. Nothing against the Habichts but not a proof that they are more rugged than others either.

An jgraider, can you name lighter binoculars that are a piece of crap? The 8x32 Victory FL ist 100gr less. Is it crap? Heavy is equal to quality?
That is a good question. Does being heavier really equate to better build quality or being more durable? An aluminum frame binocular is heavier than magnesium but is it stronger? Heavier sometimes means more armour and thicker optical tubes but are they really stronger?

Your correct. A lot of the older porro's were really built well. That is why they used them in the army and navy a lot.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 33

Thank you for your reply Odradek.

I suppose that 'built like a tank' has had two meanings when applied to these Leicas. In the first years perhaps peoples said this simply because when you pick them up they feel hefty in the hand. After more years of use and we have got to know that they are durable and tough, this phrase 'like a tank' has come to mean solid and reliable.

Lee

Heavy for their class, ie 8x32 class, 10x42 class, etc. Yes there are plenty of lightweight pieces of trash out there.

Thank you all, i think i got it now |=)|

Ceasar, no doubt there is enough potential in the german language to confuse non german speaking people aswell. :-O

I don't recall the word "rugged" being used in any advertising of binoculars recently.

Bushnell: http://bushnell.eu/uk/produits/outdoor/binoculars/elite/
Elite
REVEALING OUR BRILLIANCE ONE VIEW AT A TIME.
BRIGHT. CLEAR. HD IMAGERY. A 60+ year masterwork of ruggedness, clarity and light transmission

Bushnell used to pepper their brochure with 'rugged' or 'ruggedness' and at one point almost every photo of folks using Bushnell binos in their catalogue were holding them one-handed (often on horse back) to emphasise their lightness.

Lee

Name a heavyweight or two that is a piece of crap.

Well, the B&L 7x42, 8x42, and 10x42 Discoverer roof models (and clones under other brands) were quite heavy and were durable in many ways, but they had a problem with the diopter control breaking or coming loose with focusing. The issue with delicate focusing and diopter systems is a problem for some otherwise robust bins.

The eyepiece design of the (non waterproof, and nonED model) Swift 8.5x42 Audubon porro was its Achilles heal. Easily disabled by a few drops of water.

--AP

Last edited:
Bushnell: http://bushnell.eu/uk/produits/outdoor/binoculars/elite/
Elite
REVEALING OUR BRILLIANCE ONE VIEW AT A TIME.
BRIGHT. CLEAR. HD IMAGERY. A 60+ year masterwork of ruggedness, clarity and light transmission

Bushnell used to pepper their brochure with 'rugged' or 'ruggedness' and at one point almost every photo of folks using Bushnell binos in their catalogue were holding them one-handed (often on horse back) to emphasise their lightness.

Lee
Thank you.

I obviously don't read the "right" advertisements.

Thank you all, i think i got it now |=)|

Ceasar, no doubt there is enough potential in the german language to confuse non german speaking people aswell. :-O

Yep, English is very easy to learn ... if you're a 10th generation American. But, "their," "there," and "they're" sound the same but mean entirely different things, as does "your" and "you're." Nothing is hard if you know how to do it.

I'm fighting the NATIONAL networks over the incessant use of the redundant "FOR free," which is incredibly poor grammar. And the use of "vintage" on binocular forums when, what is really meant—most of the time—is OLD!

Likewise, sharp, tack sharp, crisp, brilliant, clear, crystal clear, hazy, fuzzy, muted, grainy, washed out, etc. are terms binocular observers use every day and which flourish at birdathons, star parties, around hunter's campfires, and on the Internet. But, although they're terms we use so frequently, they have no clinical meaning in optical engineering parlance wherein all things must be quantifiable and where degrees of "resolution," "saturation," and "contrast" rule the roost.

And, what constitutes "decent," "good," "better," "best," "great," or "dependable" when speaking of binoculars?

Don't you wish we all spoke the same language? But, for that to happen we would all have to have the same understanding ... don't hold your breath. :cat:

Bill

Last edited:
Sagi

Take a look at Bob's post 51.
It looks to me as though you are thinking that the Leica BA and BN series 'bricks' were the original Trinovids but there were Trinovids before these and it is the older first series that is the basis of these newly promised ones.

Lee

Lee:

It is important to note that the original Trinovids were made by Leitz,
and it was then called Leica later, when the first Trinovid BA models
came out, with SP prisms.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back