• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stalking the Elusive Alpha (1 Viewer)

Hallo Wilhelm Kock

Isn't you kapitan auf Starship Enterpryz? Alzo duzent yur krew kall you Old Swabby? :-O

Actually it was Dutch, and mostly Google Translate Dutch at that.

The photo isn't one of mine but accompanied the bino a few years back when it was for sale. By all means save it to your collection but don't use it in any books or for any commercial purposes.

Lee

Roger that! I will delete it. With my memory on the fritz, I'm apt to forget.

Bill

PS this is the only Dutch I know:

"If you ain't Dutch, you ain't much." This was given me by a friend where i used to live ... Martan van Leuven. 'Bet you'll never guess where he was from. :cat:

Bill

Roger that! I will delete it. With my memory on the fritz, I'm apt to forget.

Bill

PS this is the only Dutch I know:

"If you ain't Dutch, you ain't much." This was given me by a friend where i used to live ... Martan van Leuven. 'Bet you'll never guess where he was from. :cat:

Bill

Leuven? :-O
Where Stella Artois lager comes from.

Lee

Leuven? :-O
Where Stella Artois lager comes from.

Lee
And didn't Anthony von Leuvenhoek invent...the Telescope? (Or microscope?) This is all beginning to make sense now...some kind of complicated Dan Brown-style Dutch Conspiracy!

Last edited:
And didn't Anthony von Leuvenhoek invent...the Telescope? (Or microscope?) This is all beginning to make sense now...some kind of complicated Dan Brown-style Dutch Conspiracy!

Microscope.

I think another Dutchman invented the telescope and I think his name was Lippersey but don't quote me on the spelling. And thanks to our Connecticut friend for reminding us about the origin of microscopes.

But Sancho you are right, there is clearly a tangled web of shadowy goings-on centred on Leuven and can't all be explained by Stella lager.

If Gijs passes by maybe he can cast some light on this.

Lee

Gentlemen and gentlewomen,
I am weeping behind my computer, we have tried with so much effort to educate the birding community about the historial developments in the field of optics in The Netherlands.
I will give a very short list:
-1-Hans Lipperhey was a spectacle maker in Middelburg The Netherlands and he was the first person in history from whom is recorded in written sources that he invented the telescope. I know that other nationalities tried to insert their inventors, but as yet without convincing success
-2- Antoni van leeuwenhoek was a salesman in textiles and for his work he needed good maginfying equipment, so he designed a very special microscope, but to my knowledge he was never named as the inventor of the microscope. With his home-made microscopes (he made one for every sample he wanted to study!!) he was able to see and to draw fascinating and detailed pictures of his observations and he acquired international fame (I have two of his microscopes, but to be honest they are copies made by the Boerhaave museum in Leiden).
-3- Snellius a professor of Leiden University discovered the optical refraction laws.
-4- Christiaan Huygens was a sort of Einstein of his age and he describes in principle the wave theory of light.
Since we are very modest people in Holland I will stop here.
Gijs van Ginkel

Gentlemen and gentlewomen,
I am weeping behind my computer, we have tried with so much effort to educate the birding community about the historial developments in the field of optics in The Netherlands.
I will give a very short list:
-1-Hans Lipperhey was a spectacle maker in Middelburg The Netherlands and he was the first person in history from whom is recorded in written sources that he invented the telescope. I know that other nationalities tried to insert their inventors, but as yet without convincing success
-2- Antoni van leeuwenhoek was a salesman in textiles and for his work he needed good maginfying equipment, so he designed a very special microscope, but to my knowledge he was never named as the inventor of the microscope. With his home-made microscopes (he made one for every sample he wanted to study!!) he was able to see and to draw fascinating and detailed pictures of his observations and he acquired international fame (I have two of his microscopes, but to be honest they are copies made by the Boerhaave museum in Leiden).
-3- Snellius a professor of Leiden University discovered the optical refraction laws.
-4- Christiaan Huygens was a sort of Einstein of his age and he describes in principle the wave theory of light.
Since we are very modest people in Holland I will stop here.
Gijs van Ginkel

Thank you Meneer Professor for completing our education.
Did Christiaan Huygens suspect that light can behave as a quantum particle?

Lee, with apologies for diverting from the theme of the thread

Lee, post 107,
Since Huygens died a long time ago, I am not able to read what he thought, but he certainly was not aware of quantum theory, since that was formulated quite some time after his death, so no photons from Huygens.
Gijs

Lee, post 107,
Since Huygens died a long time ago, I am not able to read what he thought, but he certainly was not aware of quantum theory, since that was formulated quite some time after his death, so no photons from Huygens.
Gijs

Huygens died in 1695 and Newton postulated that light consisted of 'corpuscles' in 1672 and Descartes came up with something similar 35 years earlier. I do wish Dutch modesty didn't prevent them from keeping up with modern scientific thinking. ;)

Lee

In the course of my education, Anton van Leeuwenhoek was always credited with the microscope invention. I had no idea he was interested in textile examination.

Lee, post 110,
In our physics courses, Newton is not connected with quantum theory and although he was a very clever, gifted scientist he is to my knowledge not connected with the photon concept of light.

SteveC, post 111,
Van Leeuwenhoek was not a scientist, but his microscopes and his discoveries were highly regarded in the scientific community of his time.
Gijs van Ginkel

Huygens died in 1695 and Newton postulated that light consisted of 'corpuscles' in 1672 and Descartes came up with something similar 35 years earlier. I do wish Dutch modesty didn't prevent them from keeping up with modern scientific thinking. ;)

Lee

Lee,

Like a very wiser man citaded earlier: "If it ain't Dutch, it ain't.....", right8-P

Jan

Lee, post 110,
In our physics courses, Newton is not connected with quantum theory and although he was a very clever, gifted scientist he is to my knowledge not connected with the photon concept of light.

SteveC, post 111,
Van Leeuwenhoek was not a scientist, but his microscopes and his discoveries were highly regarded in the scientific community of his time.
Gijs van Ginkel

Newton? Photons? Nah ... he was busy inventing the ... Granny Smith! 'Which, in turn, led to the greatest discovery I ever came across. :cat:

Bill

This is a purely subjective term and depends largely upon individual perceptions. As I see it, alpha binoculars (whether or not you like the term) are defined by those binoculars produced by Leica, Nikon, Swarovski, and Zeiss that entered the market in the last few years at a price above $2,000 US. I would bend that for the Swarovski SLC series. I also see a terrific tendency to automatically associate those with greatness. As somebody here has said more than once, good marketing need not be truthful, only believed. Yes it helps that those are terrific instruments.

As to who is qualified to make the determination, as far as I am concerned beauty lies in the eye of the beholder, another appearance of human perceptions. I have long held the opinion that the users satisfaction with a binocular lies solely in the ability of the binocular being used to shut off those little voices whispering in ones ear, that there has to be something better, and that since there is I will see it. That singing of little voices may not be quelled until the user gets to the alpha (flagship...whatever adjective you care to use). When the viewer realizes there is no more to be spent, those little voices may well go away. At that point the user just uses the binocular and the class of the glass gets the credit. At another point on the spectrum a less expensive glass may well quell the voices. Available disposable income and perceptions of personal spending preferences play a role here too. Nothing wrong with either, it seems to me to just be human nature.

Cell phones have a site where all of the flagship models are torn apart, piece by piece. The cost of the parts are determined, the phones are evaluated on the quality of the part and the level of construction, and given a repair score. Unless binoculars get a site like that nobody will have the ability to make that sort of determination. Again, beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. Even a great name on a lesser glass may well confer status on the lesser glass.

As to not being an optical engineer, does that mean you have to be a automotive engineer to evaluate an automobile to see whether or not it suits you? I make no pretensions about being any sort of a optical expert. I am however capable of forming and stating my opinions on various instruments. Win some loose some. Blessed be the name of the game.

Hi Steve - just to say I really enjoyed this post. The only thing I could add to your comment that beauty is in the eye of the beholder is the adage that "it's not just what's said, but who's saying it". I've found almost all the reviews and comments from various "beholders" here on optics they have looked through to be of interest, but the observations of those who have significant experience of using top class optics in the field have been particularly educative. I can't say I have agreed with every one of these, but they have certainly flagged up points to look out for/be aware of, for which I, and many others I'm sure, am most grateful. My own perceptions are ultimately going to be the best judge (for me) of how good a binocular is, but if I need/want to know something about a model I have no personal experience of, the observations of experienced observers who use binoculars for the same job, or failing that for similar tasks, are the next best thing.

On a similar note... would an automotive engineer's opinion of the quality of an automotive gear train, steering etc... be of more weight than that of the average driver's - undoubtedly. But every driver can derive his own sense of a car's steering and gearshift by sense and feel, and that of an experienced driver is going to be at least worth a read. Some threads discussing the mechanical qualities of binoculars are strikingly similar to build quality discussions relating to my other main recreation - blue-water sport fishing. I claim no expertise in the engineering of fishing tackle, but have used it enough to be able to offer a pretty grounded opinion on what I have worked with in the past, and use now.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back