• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Tyke Meet of 2013 (1 Viewer)

Not sure if this qualifies but if anyones interested in a car share for the red breasted goose in dumfries if its still around next weekend than I'd be up for it. Never seen proper barnacle geese for that matter.

I'll keep an eye on the Dumfries and Galloway yahoo group for you

Thanks Ken, don't worry too much though as I don't intend to do it alone and I don't think anyone's interested by the lack of responses.

As for yorkshire, not sure. Have not managed bittern, brambling, water rail, glauc or iceland gull or any owls at all yet this year. I'm fairly open on weekends up to march at present.

Can't do 1st or last weekend in Feb, but I'm sure I'd be able to sort a pass on other weekends. Have new camera & lens that I want to play with from Xmas that I still haven't been able to take a shot with due to the weather!!

Thanks Ken, don't worry too much though as I don't intend to do it alone and I don't think anyone's interested by the lack of responses.

As for yorkshire, not sure. Have not managed bittern, brambling, water rail, glauc or iceland gull or any owls at all yet this year. I'm fairly open on weekends up to march at present.

I'm in as long as can make the date, would like to see the gulls Rob mentioned too not good with gull ids have been at rufforth tip this week and the airfield from reports. I'd like to finally go to potteric and also pugneys for scaup & ltduck not familiar with pugneys/anglers etc

Last edited:
Pugney's/ Calder Wetland would make a good starting point/finishing point but wouldn't sustain a day's watching.
Angler's/Wintersett/Cold Heindley could be a good choice, altho we'd need at least 1 local birder to give us the gen on where to go as I for one am not familiar with them, other than smash and grabs on the yankee wigeon. My copy of Where to watch in Yorkshire is a first edition and so is now 20 years old almost so the information in there is completely out of date.

Pugney's/ Calder Wetland would make a good starting point/finishing point but wouldn't sustain a day's watching.
Angler's/Wintersett/Cold Heindley could be a good choice, altho we'd need at least 1 local birder to give us the gen on where to go as I for one am not familiar with them, other than smash and grabs on the yankee wigeon. My copy of Where to watch in Yorkshire is a first edition and so is now 20 years old almost so the information in there is completely out of date.

I've got a spare copy of the new edition if you want one for a fiver, or do you want something looking up in it?

True Michael there are a few new places, but with the ones that have stayed from mine to the new one, a lot of the info hasn't actually been updated, just copied from one to t'other. There are new maps for some sites, but for others the map is just as inaccurate as it was in the first book.

True Michael there are a few new places, but with the ones that have stayed from mine to the new one, a lot of the info hasn't actually been updated, just copied from one to t'other. There are new maps for some sites, but for others the map is just as inaccurate as it was in the first book.

Must admit I've only really looked in detail at the East Yorkshire section

Anyway this is hardly getting a venue sorted...lol

Proposed so far

Wintersett/Anglers with maybe Pugney's/Calder chucked in for good measure.

Do we have any others to consider?

Sounds reasonable. It would be nice to get to grips with Wintersett what with all those 'lovely' gulls.

Potteric has been quiet of late. Cetti's and Water Pipit at Blacktoft are tempting though.

Sounds reasonable. It would be nice to get to grips with Wintersett what with all those 'lovely' gulls.

Potteric has been quiet of late. Cetti's and Water Pipit at Blacktoft are tempting though.

Wouldn't get your hopes up on either species. I was there saturday and not a trace. The cold weather has shut the Cetti's up apparently.

Looking at Zings photos, I'm looking at another LDV trip at the weekend. Would be a bonus if the GGS sticks.

I'm up for a run owt. Blacktoft was empty of birds on sunday duck/wader wise. But plenty of passerines and the raptor roost was half decent.

I'd be up for bittern or raptors/owls, may be worth scanning blogs to see whats about. LDV has lots of birdsn including all 3 swans, waxwings and waterfowl.

Mark.

Yes there is the GGS at Market Weighton, not been out much recently but briefly in the area (from others reports)

Castle Howard lake: Scaup, 2 Goosanders, 4 Pintail, 2 Mandarin, Peregrine, Little Grebe, 35 Goldeneye. (per report on YOC email)
Heslington East: Jack snipe (on bird race day)
Rufforth airfield / tip: Caspian Gull & Iceland Gull
Thorganby Ings Redshank, Curlew & Snipe (last week) (LDV NNR Facebook page)
Aughton Ings -Golden Plover (1400), Dunlin (100), Ruff (30). (LDV NNR Facebook page)
A smattering of waxwing reports some were near ellerton on saturday but no reports yesterday, need these for the year still. Some further up the ring road.
NO Bewick's reported recently
Water levels have now dropped substantially and can park either side of bubwith bridge & the floodbank & other bits are now above water, areas for waders to sit on finally!

Blacktoft / North Cave might be a good shout, don't know whats about at the moment? - would like to go for the raptor roost and finally get hen harrier on the list.

Putting it out there, I quite fancy checking out the lincoln area not somewhere i've ever been birding - Worlaby carrs has seo's at the moment

But as I said i'm game for anything really, quite like to explore sites that are new to me that others have knowledge of.

Last edited:
Here's the revised list of sites.

1. Wintersett/Angler's - large area but we need someone with local knowledge to give us the info

2. LDV - again large area but with Andy living on site (more or less) local news will be up to date

3. Blacktoft - chances of bittern/raptors but as it's a notorious frost pocket could be totally rubbish.

4. North Cave - small area but with the cafe for snacks and hot drinks.

Any other suggestions?
If none received before the weekend we'll vote on it next week and then decide on a date.

Depending on the weather between then and now I wouldn't mind another bash at the LDV if the water levels continue to decrease. Recent counts have been well down because the birds are dispersed over a wide area.

Everywhere seems very quiet atm. Perhaps this cold spell will liven things up

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back