• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdies on the Golf Course (1 Viewer)

Ian Bell

Supporter
Scotland
I live near a Links Golf Course which is for the most part,surrounded by the North Sea.Today while out for a walk,I had an Albino Oyster Catcher and a Short eared Owl.I also remember years ago,seeing two Capercaillies in the rough,next to the woods at Grantown on Spey Golf Course.Obviously Golf Courses are havens for birds,has anyone had a similar experience on a Golf Course ?

Ben Nevis said:
I live near a Links Golf Course which is for the most part,surrounded by the North Sea.Today while out for a walk,I had an Albino Oyster Catcher and a Short eared Owl.I also remember years ago,seeing two Capercaillies in the rough,next to the woods at Grantown on Spey Golf Course.Obviously Golf Courses are havens for birds,has anyone had a similar experience on a Golf Course ?
I have seen a Caper on the Comrie ( Perthshire) golf course, it used to chase the golf balls.

Ben Nevis said:

I guess you were down at Girdle Ness today. I think Grantown Golf Course was supposed to be a reliable site for Capers years ago - don't know if that's still the case. I've also seen Richard's Pipit, Red-backed Shrike and various raptors and migrants on St Andrews Golf Course.

Correct Andrew.I have also seen Foxes and Roe Deer on the course as well.Other birds of note on the course have been Hoopoe,Red backed Shrike and Barred Warbler.The woods (Anagach) in Grantown still hold "Capers" but in very small numbers compared to when I seen them in the 1970s.No surprise that a Fifer knows his golf courses..!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back