• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DSLR sensor cleaning (Curious about the Canon 5D) (1 Viewer)

YellowBudgie

Hi Everyone,

I've been looking into a Canon 5D and was wondering if cleaning the sensor on this camera is more of a concern for someone new like me with no DSLR experience.

Some people on another forum were talking about the subject of cleaning the Canon 5D vs. other DSLR cameras they owned. It was expected that a larger sensor would get more dust and oil on it. Some people feared wet cleaning or were generally concerned about cleaning this sensor more so than their other DSLR's it seemed.

One person said basically everyone should learn to wet clean your sensor by practicing on something similar (CD case) and when wet clean every other photo shoot or when needed.

Should I be concerned with the sensor cleaning and purchase something on the lower end from Canon to start with or jump right in? It's such an investment for me.

Thanks!

Hi YB,

no, there's no difference between cleaning the sensor of a 5D and any other DSLR - yes it's a bit bigger, but dust is dust, and if you can see it in your images it's time for a clean: this applies equally to a 5D and a 30D or any other camera.

It's very straightforward to do, and not nearly as scary as the hype would have you believe.

In fact you might find that 99% of the time you need do no more than give the sensor a good blast with a Giotto Rocket blower (not "canned air" though - best to keep away from aerosol blowers).

That's all I need to do as a rule - I've only done two "wet cleans" in over a year, and only really did them to keep in practice. I routinely shoot on windy beaches with very fine sand and coal dust, using a lens which is supposed to guarantee dust on the sensor, but have no problems.

Another effective cleaning option is the Copperhill Images Sensorsweep brush - I've got one of those too, and it works well.

Hi YB,

no, there's no difference between cleaning the sensor of a 5D and any other DSLR - yes it's a bit bigger, but dust is dust, and if you can see it in your images it's time for a clean: this applies equally to a 5D and a 30D or any other camera.

It's very straightforward to do, and not nearly as scary as the hype would have you believe.

In fact you might find that 99% of the time you need do no more than give the sensor a good blast with a Giotto Rocket blower (not "canned air" though - best to keep away from aerosol blowers).

That's all I need to do as a rule - I've only done two "wet cleans" in over a year, and only really did them to keep in practice. I routinely shoot on windy beaches with very fine sand and coal dust, using a lens which is supposed to guarantee dust on the sensor, but have no problems.

Another effective cleaning option is the Copperhill Images Sensorsweep brush - I've got one of those too, and it works well.

Hi Keith,

Thanks! I feel much better going with the Canon 5D now. I did hear some people had issues with oil spots on the sensor of the early runs of the 5D. It seems the issue has been fixed.

I hear what your saying about the canned air. I use canned air to clean out PC's, if your not careful you can spray the freezing cold liquid propellant at something. It may be that 1 time out of 100 you accidentally do that to your sensor.

Thanks again!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back