• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gurney’s Pitta (1 Viewer)

How about the 5000+ pairs supposedly resident opposite the border in Myanmar? Surely they can spare a few to repopulate the Gurney's former habitats.

Its hard to repopulate the habitat if the habitat no longer exists or is to fragmented or degraded to support the wildlife.

How about the 5000+ pairs supposedly resident opposite the border in Myanmar? Surely they can spare a few to repopulate the Gurney's former habitats.

Given that they failed to protect the birds that were already in Thailand, I think the idea of reintroducing them would be a ludicrous waste of money.

Rob

Hi,

I would welcome an information where exactly to see Gurney's Pittas in Myanmar. I guess some other birders never seen this species in Thailand, too?

Sad that the species was not seen at its last Thai stake-out for a year and seems to be definitely extinct there. I seem to have a knack of visiting places just after the star bird is extinct (like Bharatpur just after last Siberian Cranes went extinct).

There is also a rumour that the last birds in Thailand were not genuine but imported from Myanmar to make some money with birdwatchers.....

There is also a rumour that the last birds in Thailand were not genuine but imported from Myanmar to make some money with birdwatchers.....

Sounds like a rumour started by people with dubious interests in this area, the last few pairs in Thailand were well known to the local birding community.

Sounds like a rumour started by people with dubious interests in this area, the last few pairs in Thailand were well known to the local birding community.

Pathetic would be a good description for the people involved in the rumour - a lot of people put a lot effort into trying conserve this and other species, probably knowing there is little reason for hope and then this sort of thing comes up....

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back