• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"PCF WP" Series vs famous classics ? (1 Viewer)

Sixkiller66

Well guys, to continue my original thread on the main section, I would like to hear from someone who owns this popular porro, dubbed Pentax PCF WPII, and another classic such as a Zeiss or Swift...
I'd like to hear about on axis sharpness of the two, field durability, craftsmanship etc...

Thanks I have been enjoying this website very much, so many good smart and technical people around.
Hopefully I'll stay long enough to contribute back :)

. Personally I would go for a perfect condition Zeiss.

Swifts vary enormously in type and quality.
The 8.5×44 HR 5 I like except there are too many ghost images for astronomy looking very near streetlights. But I still use it a lot.

I'm not sure about Chinese Pentaxes, I hope they have improved. Again Pentax binoculars vary enormously. Some are excellent, some okay, some poor and some have been ridiculous. At their best Pentax optics have been superb, but this was mainly their top quality telescopes and eyepieces.

Thanks Binastro !
Only problem is those Mint Zeiss are more than the new price of this Pentax, hehe :)

What was the last Pentax you have looked through ?

. The last Pentax I looked through was the PapilioII 6.5×21, which is really very good for the money.

I appreciate that a good Zeiss binocular costs more than the 8 x 40 Pentax.
If you have no alternative then I think you have a good chance of getting a reasonable 8×40 Pentax by mail order. It is just that if you are able to try them out you can make sure that they are well collimated and optically good.

Buying remotely is a lottery, but if it is no good I suppose you can just send it back for an exchange or refund.

Well guys, to continue my original thread on the main section, I would like to hear from someone who owns this popular porro, dubbed Pentax PCF WPII, and another classic such as a Zeiss or Swift...
I'd like to hear about on axis sharpness of the two, field durability, craftsmanship etc...

Thanks I have been enjoying this website very much, so many good smart and technical people around.
Hopefully I'll stay long enough to contribute back :)

I had the 20x60 PCF WP, the II has a sightly different body style, but AFAIK, the same optics, which at least in my unit and also the one Steve (mooreorless) had were under par compared to earlier models. The 20x60 PCF V made in Japan was much better optically. Only 20x bin that I've owned or tried that could separate the rings of Saturn from the body of the planet. That's sharp! I've even used 20x80s which theoretically should have had better resolution but Saturn still looked like a football.

The 8x40 has a rather narrow FOV. If you prefer porros, I think the Vixen 7x50 and 8x42 Forestas are better choices with the caveat that they have oversized eyecups. They are also WP.

Thanks Gentlemen !
I couldn't find the Japanese Pentax :(
In a moment of weakness I hit Buy on a used set of 92' USSR 20X60, we'll see if it's a lemon or not. Master appraiser David here said I might actually get a pretty good one if I am lucky.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back