• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can't Access Paypal (1 Viewer)

I clicked on this Niels and it worked

A

Didn't for me... still the same.

Chris said:
I've not used Windows for ages (I use Linux), Delia, but I'd guess it's a DNS issue. A couple of things to try:

First, try to clear your DNS cache, here's a link for Windows 10.

If no good, have a look in your Hosts file for any paypal entries... there shouldn't be any, if there is you'll need to delete the entry. Here's a link with general info on editing the hosts file.

I've done the DNS thingy, thanks Chris, still no result.

Looked at the Hosts one, but that looks to be far too scary for me to tackle LOL

Bear in mind that if you did find an entry for paypal in your hosts file, it suggests that you was infected by malware - as instead of going to paypal you was being redirected to the site in the hosts file... that site has probably been taken down, hence your failure to connect.

I don't use PayPal, and haven't accessed their site since I got this laptop in July. So I can't imagine that would be the issue.

But thanks for those tips Chris.

You wouldn't have had to visit Paypal to get Malware that would add a paypal redirect to your hosts file, Delia - Malware could have just added the most likely sites to your hosts file... like Barclays/Paypal etc... then when you went to one of those sites, it would have actually been the attackers site, basically Phishing.

I'd at least look at your hosts file, just to be sure; other Windows users here could tell you what your hosts file should look like - or you could just reset it yourself https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/972034/how-to-reset-the-hosts-file-back-to-the-default.

Are you still having problems?

A while back I had troubles logging on to an email account, I could do so from one computer but not the other. Troubleshooting the problem I came to notice I had a 32bit version of Firefox running on my 64bit computer. Don't know if that contributed to the problem but changed out the version as soon as I found out.

Next step was to start Firefox in Safe Mode and attempt a login. FireFox Safe Mode disables all the extension loaded on the browser.

There's a number of ways to find out what extension you have load. To me, the easiest and most comprehensive listings is to click on Help > Troubleshooting information, when that window opens scroll down to Extensions.

In my case, it appeared there was an extension causing the problem but again not sure if FF version had any bearing.

I believe Palemoon is a clone of FF, if so you can find Safe Mode by clicking on Help on the top Toolbar. Then click on Restart with Add-ons Disabled. A popup will open asking you if you want to restart, if you click Restart your browser will close and reopen.

I googled Palemoon downloads for a 64bit OS (operating system), here's the link. Reading the page info it states unless you have a dedicated GPU (graphic/video card) you should use the 32bit download version of PM regardless if your OS is 64bits. Your newly acquired laptop is most likely a 64bit but it's unlikely to have a video card, rather running embedded video off the motherboard.

On the Desktop, right click on This PC icon and then click on Properties to find out which OS you're running.

To find out what version of PM you're running click on Help and then About Palemoon. If you're running a 64bit version I would expect it to say 64bit after the version. If you're running a 32bit I would expect the absence of both 32 and 64bit next to the version to indicate the version as 32bit.

If you read this far and if you were able to login from Safe Mode you will now need to disable you extensions one-by-one until you find the culprit causing the problem. You do this by clicking on Tools > Add-on > Extensions and then disabling them one-by-one. After you disable an extension you'll need to close and restart your browser in order to clear you cache.

To ensure you cache is being cleared when you close your browser go to Tools > Options > Privacy & Security and scroll down to History. In that section tick the last box "Clear history when 'PM' closes" and then click on Settings and be sure Cookies and Cache is ticked off in their box.

Sorry this is so wordy........sorry for your troubles.....Good Luck...!!

Hi guys, just thought I'd give you an update on this.

It was a security setting on my laptop causing it. Something in Hostsman, which I need to disable it if I want access to PayPal.

Hi kamino.... yes, well it's something I've got on here.

I had a friend look at it and I think he said it's Hostsman, so I need to disable it if I want to look at the site.

As I don't have a PayPal account I don't bother any more. I could do it on my phone if I was desperate.

LOL just looked at my last post and I see it was Hostsman.

I also had another problem, which he identified to some other thing on here (think it was a combination of letters in a particular Opus page which blocked all the pictures). He said it would take far to long to try and work out what it actually was. As it isn't a really important issue now I don't bother disabling that one either.

:-O

Silly me.... just read your post again Jos.... got what you mean now LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back