• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sensor Cleaning (1 Viewer)

Robert Wallace

Advice, please on cleaning the sensor in my Olympus OMD -E5.
There is some smearing due to my hamfisted attempt to clean using a sable brush.
There seems to be conflicting advice regarding using commercial cleaning fluids vs breathing on to the sensor.
Any advice welcome

no no just a little wet very soft cloth. then blow air.

i don't like cleaning solutions also for lenses.

but then i am not a pro so maybe you will get a better advise.

Thank you ammadoux, I used my breath as a wetting agent and followed by gently using a Pentax micro fibre cloth, not recommended on one site I visited.
Tested my camera taking shots of the blue sky (honest!) and my car number plate. tested the sharpness on Olympus viewer by enlarginf the small print on the number plate and could read not only the dealer name but the post code which is even smaller. Just returned from Venice and learned how important it is to check the camera sensor and lens. Not certain whether the mark on some of the photos is due to dust on the sensor or a smudge on my standard zoom filter. Either way the sensor did look in need of a clean. I have also sent off for a wet kit, to clean the sensor. However like you I am wary of solutions, so will see what the solution is before use. Would be interested to know how fragile the sensor or it's protective cover is to cleaning methods. I will be much more careful when changing lenses in future.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back