• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Canon IS Models (1 Viewer)

I'm excited for the updated Canon IS offerings, but tempered by what they don't offer (IMHO):

Pros:
1. 50-66% Improvement on Close Focus!!
2. Possibly better IS Performance?!
3. Better Ergonomics!
4. Improved Coatings?!
5. Double the Lens Elements=Better Optics?!
6. 10X32=Increased Obj. Size!

Cons:
1. 10X32=145% $$$ increase in MSRP
2. 12X32=65% $$$ increase in MSRP
3. 12X32=Decreased Obj. Size
4. 4.2(12X) to 6.4(10X) oz. Heavier
5. No increase in FOV's (10X=315ft, 12X=263ft, 14X=226ft)
6. No Weatherproofing
7. Non-adjustable Eyecups
8. No Diopter adjustment increase
9. No L-Glass

Unknowns:
1. Armor durability?
2. Focus speed?
3. Eye cup comfort?
4. Balance?
5. Quality of Accessories?
6. Improved Warranty?
7. "Spectra Coatings" low light performance?
8. El. Durability?

All variables mentioned (or not) should be confirmed as soon as user reports start coming in (Go Dennis). Just wish that for the increase in price, Canon would have included more of what their flagship 10X42L IS offers! Maybe they have...We'll "SEE"! :t:

Ted

Last edited:
The objective lens construction of the Binos seems very complex compared to the rest of the range, 7elements in 6 groups - as Binastro says a lot of glass (elements).

Perhaps all that glass makes up for the lack of L series glass and partly justifies the price hike.

Prices up on Wex Photographic and available to pre-order. 10x32 is £1299.99 not far off the 10x42 at £1349.

Prices may come down a bit. Makes the 10x30 model look a bit of a steal.

The objective lens construction of the Binos seems very complex compared to the rest of the range, 7elements in 6 groups - as Binastro says a lot of glass (elements).

Perhaps all that glass makes up for the lack of L series glass and partly justifies the price hike.

Notice that compared to the optics of the 10x42 L below the new binoculars have a less complex eyepiece. Of course, one of the extra lens elements in the new objective is the IS lens in place of the old prism and one of the lenses behind the IS lens may be for internal focusing which is done by moving the objective triplet in the 10x42. Looks like the Porro Type 2 has been retained.

Attachments

• DSC_0238.JPG
    DSC_0238.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 180
Prices up on Wex Photographic and available to pre-order. 10x32 is £1299.99 not far off the 10x42 at £1349.

Prices may come down a bit. Makes the 10x30 model look a bit of a steal.
Yes, the price hike is quite large. The Canon 10x30 IS could be had for $400.00 and now the 10x32 IS is $1350.00. That is more than triple the price. You have to ask yourself why such a large increase.

Boots the chemist normally does a 3 for the price of 2 deal.

But it still makes them $900 each if one buys all three.
But then you could sell two of them for $1200 apiece as new and you would only have $300 in the one you keep! Who is Boots the Chemist? Does he have a website?

Last edited:
Maybe just buy the waterproof 10x42ISL for $1050 and keep the change?

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-10x42-...F8&qid=1501808250&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+10x42
I am thinking you are correct. You can buy the 10x42 IS-L for around $1000.00 and it is probably still the best binocular in the Canon IS line. The more I think about it I really don't see how Canon justifies $1350.00 for the new 10x32 IS. The really only big change is the choice of two different stabilization systems and it remains to be seen if that makes any difference. It doesn't have L glass and it is not even waterproof and no screw out eye cups. I wish they would come out with an improved 10x42 IS-L.

The more I think about it I really don't see how Canon justifies $1350.00 for the new 10x32 IS.

That's the MSRP. The MSRP for the 10x42s is 1999$!
Regarding the suggestion that Canon might discontinue the current models, I do not think so---why should they? In fact the older 12x36s and 10x30s are still shown on their website along with their upgraded versions.

Looking at the "picture" of the new 12x32, and taking the proportions into account, it appears that the distance between the rubber eyecups at the max IPD is about 23mm. For people who don't use glasses and who also have a small IPD (as well as a relatively wide nasal bridge), 23mm might not be enough.
The eyecups of the 12x36s don't have this issue. The larger Canon's 15x and 18x appear to have the same type of eyecups as the new 32mm binoculars----can any users of the 15x or 18x comment on this aspect: are their eyecups comfortable for use without glasses?

Last edited:
Hi Peter.
The eyecups on my 18x50 IS are fine for me.
They have been used maybe thousands of times in the last 15 years.
This doesn't mean they will suit everybody.
I don't wear glasses with binoculars

Thanks, BA. The question is: can you insert them into your eye sockets? I have tried to do that with the 10x42 IS L but did not like their klingon eyecups at all...really hard to use if you do not wear glasses.

Hi Peter.

I do not wear my glasses when I use binoculars and found the eye cups on my 15x50's to be quite uncomfortable and cut off the top 'ring' part and they are now much softer and smaller in diameter. Canon sent me a replacement pair of the eye cups so that I could reverse the modification if I ever sold them. There is a thread a few years ago about this concerning the 15x50's.

Maybe the diameter of the eye cups on the new smaller Canons is slightly less.

Doug......

Last edited:
It will be very interesting to try the new models, compare them to the 10x42 L IS, and see whether the stabilization system has actually been improved. Canon's website which describes these new models shows the old lineup with the exception of the 10x42, which is conspicuously missing. I do hope this means that a new "premium model" with a more advanced optical design and larger exit pupils is to follow. If the IS system of the new range turns out to be superior, I may be tempted to get the 10x32 as an interim model while holding on to my 10x42, but generally I do not enjoy using binoculars with much less than 4 mm exit pupils. I have tried to come to terms with a premium 10x32 before, but had to give it up as it did not give me satisfactory images.

Generally, this new range, and there being whole three of them, shows that Canon is still serious about stabilized binoculars. Well they should be, as there's precious little competition and the benefits of stabilization are huge even though unbelievably small numbers of birders have realized this.

As for the eyecup issue, one must try to know, but these look like smaller copies of the x50 mm Canon eyecups, which are some of my least favorite but tolerable when kept downturned. There's ample flat surface to lean against one's brow, whereby obtaining the correct pupil distance becomes rather easy.

Waiting for first user reports.

Kimmo

The temperature range is -10C to +45C.
Does that mean lithium AAs are not allowed or not recommended?

I hope that they bring out a 22x50 IS or 25x50 IS, or lightweight 56mm versions, but I don't know if the tilt mechanism copes with larger apertures as all the IS monoculars are small.

If the IS system of the new range turns out to be superior, I may be tempted to get the 10x32 as an interim model while holding on to my 10x42, but generally I do not enjoy using binoculars with much less than 4 mm exit pupils. I have tried to come to terms with a premium 10x32 before, but had to give it up as it did not give me satisfactory images.

I also generally don't really get on with "normal" binoculars with exit pupils smaller than 4mm. However, stabilised binoculars seem to work better with smaller exit pupils, at least for me. I didn't find using the 10x30 Canon all that difficult on the few occasions I tried it in the field.

Generally, this new range, and there being whole three of them, shows that Canon is still serious about stabilized binoculars. Well they should be, as there's precious little competition and the benefits of stabilization are huge even though unbelievably small numbers of birders have realized this.

I see these new binoculars as an attempt to get into the birding market. From the specifications these new bins with their "protective glass" seem to be somewhat more suitable for birding than the 10x30 and the 12x36, both of which are not really very good in wet weather. They're also quite a bit lighter than the 10x42 that is too heavy for many birdwatchers.

Waiting for first user reports.

Same here. I really hope you'll get a chance to try one as well for a quick comparison to your 10x42.

Hermann

Hi Peter,
I just tried the 18x50 IS and the eyecups work perfectly for me just touching my eyebrows etc.
Viewing a lit stained glass window with fine detail at 120m.
I don't need the eyecups to go nearer to my eye.
This may be because of my long sight? I don't really know.
Most modern binoculars have too much eye relief for me and the eyecups are generally a little short.
This causes annoying blackouts with some binoculars.

The 18x50 IS eyecups are beautifully soft after more than 15 years.

It seems we all vary in what we need from a binocular.

Last edited:
Peter,

Sorry, my bad. I'm pretty sure though that I did get up a page that had the lineup without the 10x42, but might have been mistaken. In any case, I cannot say I'm disappointed that the 10x42 carries on. It is quite the binocular.

Kimmo

Kimmo ..... Fear not, you are not loosing your mind. I have noticed the same thing. There are some ways to enter the site where the 10X42 is not listed. I first noticed that a couple of years ago when Canon did the upgrades to a few of the models. I called to find out what happened to the 10X42 and the agent said it was still an active product and had no idea why it was not showing up. Nothing has changed since then. It still does a disappearing act.

Here is my post about it back in May of 2015 ........

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3220586&postcount=6

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back