• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Not familiar with forums. (1 Viewer)

Noir

Hello from Germany. I’ve joined this site, because I have a question about identifiying a sick wild bird a friend of mine found yesterday. The bird was found in Hawaii and is currently being cared for, but it may not make it from how he described the birds state.
I’ll attach a picture and hope someone can help me identify the breed.

Attachments

• 99CCA6F8-3F2C-4419-A0D6-ACA0B659626B.jpeg
    99CCA6F8-3F2C-4419-A0D6-ACA0B659626B.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 36
I believe it is a baby Zebra Dove. It is not native to Hawaii but has been i troduced there and is quite common now. The parents feed these young with "pigeon milk".

When they fledge (like this one) they can't fly yet and are still fed by the parent (crop milk), however they do start pecking at small grains about this time and within a week or two will be feeding on grains. There are a number of "formulas" for a substitue pigeon milk on the web (just google pigeon milk recipe). At his current age he may also be able to take small pieces of bread that have been soaked in milk, but this is not as good as a pigeon milk formula.

Dave

Also check to see if any local rehabbers will take this bird. Often rehabbers won't take "exotic" birds.

Hello and welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I agree with Dave that it is some sort dove. If your friend can find a rehabber to take it that would be best; if not I would take his recommendations on how to feed it.

Hi Noir and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back