• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (14 Viewers)

Tim Allwood said:
...Seems to have been an influx of Common Gulls - a few reasonable flocks feeding in the fields today. ...

There were quite a few with the BH gulls on the playing field at heartsease school as I drove past this evening, which I've not noticed before.

Managed to see the shag at uea today - it was on the river behind the broad, and a lovely confiding bird it was - it was fishing on the opposite bank to the one I was standing on, so I was about 3 yards away. Smashing little bird.

I have been at work all day, but the 2 waxwings at Holme were not seen all morning, but returned again mid afternoon. My mother went down to have wonderful views of them and they appeared to put catching flies in the air, also a chaffinch was trying to attack one of them!!!!! obviously the waxwing was bigger and prettier and in his territory!!!!!

Best Wishes Penny

Had a stroll round Heigham Holmes this morning. At least 200 (probably quiet a lot more) Greater White-fronts, 16+ Barnacles and five cranes. No sign of the RBG though.

if the rain clears up, should be able to get out again. Maybe the Am. Wigeon at Buckenham for a mini twitch!

Tim

edit Wigeon still there this evening

plus a Barnacle and a Whitefront among 1000-odd Pinks this evening at Horsey. Torrential rain made it rather unpleasant.

Last edited:
popped down to Buckenham this morning

first-winter Am.Wig. still there. Quite a nice bird. nice plum-coloured flanks and grey peppered head, forehead blaze not as striking as some.

no Wapits though, but nice to see a couple of friendly faces.

Whitefront still with pinks at Horsey Corner

Penny Clarke said:
Could not go out birding today until 3.30pm!!!!! Family stuff to sort today. But wow what a fantastic afternoon I had!!!!!!!!!! :D Drove down to Holme NOA and as soon as I reached the carpark and got out, wow right before sitting on the wires were 2 stunning waxwings!!!!! Apparently they have been there all day!!!!! Went down to HBO, saw a short eared owl hunting over the marsh and then went back to take a 2nd look at Waxwings and I watched the most amazing thing - one waxwing passed a berry to the other, absolutely stunning, one of the most beautiful moments I have seen. Several people had seen them doing this during the day. Father told me this was extremely unusual at this time of the year, as this is courtship behaviour!!!!!!

Penny :girl:

You can also have a BF200 tick to cap it all, Penny. I was the big bloke with the green VW struggling to see the Waxwings through sodden optics. You did very well not to go out until 3.30PM - bloody cold and wet all day until then.

Thankyou Norfolk for your hospitality - had a great 3 days despite the weather:

Friday - Chinese Water Deer really close and 3 Hawfinches at Lynford Arboretum. Then when the snow stopped I went to Martham Ferry - clear view of Otter at c.30 yards, as well as Whitefront with the Greylags. Finally I had Stubb Mill to myself thanks to the weather - Merlin, Barn Owl, Peregrine, many Marsh Harriers and two Cranes (lifers) cruising past quite close.

Saturday was a lovely day - Shorelarks and Snow Buntings at Caister, Med Gulls around my feet in Yarmouth, brief distant Bittern in flight from Horsey Mill, and finally more Marsh Harriers, a ringtail, the Harris Hawk and all the Cranes distantly at Stubb Mill

Sunday - thought I found my 'own' Black Brant at Holkham but had just not been reported for ages, it seems. Then more rain and a missing Yellowlegs until the joy of the Waxwings and both Short-eared and Barn Owls at Holme.

Many Thanks to all who gave hints and tips which helped make it a great little trip.

Graham

Hi All
Grounded at the moment due to car problems so unable to achieve my monthly trip into Norfolk.
Just wondering about the watchpoint at Stubbs Mill, is it a winter must visit or is it an all year must?
Many thanks

Kevin

Saw this on the letters page of the Eastern Daily Press Tuesday 13th Feb. Interesting and intriguing...

"Has spring sprung? Last Wednesday (February 7) I spotted a Wheatear in a field at South Wootton. Four days later on Sunday I couldn't believe my eyes when a male blackcap twice visited the bird feeders in my garden. They say things always come in threes so I'm listening avidly for the first cuckoo!"

James

Hippo said:
Hi All
Grounded at the moment due to car problems so unable to achieve my monthly trip into Norfolk.
Just wondering about the watchpoint at Stubbs Mill, is it a winter must visit or is it an all year must?
It's a very peaceful spot all year, but the birding is much better in winter for the many various birds of prey.

Outside this season, you've still got a decent chance of seeing the Cranes, no shortage of Marsh Harriers, and Barn Owl and Chinese Water Deer towards dusk... so still not bad!

bitterntwisted said:
You can also have a BF200 tick to cap it all, Penny. I was the big bloke with the green VW struggling to see the Waxwings through sodden optics. You did very well not to go out until 3.30PM - bloody cold and wet all day until then.

Thankyou Norfolk for your hospitality - had a great 3 days despite the weather:

Graham
Hi Graham

Really sorry but can't remember you!!!!!!

Glad you had a good time though, waxwings were stunning to watch even in dull light.

Best Wishes Penny :girl:

dbradnum said:
It's a very peaceful spot all year, but the birding is much better in winter for the many various birds of prey.

Outside this season, you've still got a decent chance of seeing the Cranes, no shortage of Marsh Harriers, and Barn Owl and Chinese Water Deer towards dusk... so still not bad!

Is this site still reliable for merlin?

Can't believe I still haven't seen one..

Matt

Fairly reliable, Matt, in that they are pretty much always in the area in the winter. However, picking them up is not always easy. Sometimes they perch up in the small bushes for ages at a time (I saw 4 together like that last year), but on other days, you might miss them completely, or perhaps just get a brief view as one comes flashing in. From Stubb Mill, I've seen them coming in high from the right several times, which may or may not be coincidence... I certainly tend to keep looking that way now.

The back of the roost - the Horsey side is better for Merlin and close views of harriers - especially the Hens, and the cranes drop in closer too.

The last few times i've been there's only been me there.

pinks still in the grassier fields at present, the odd whitefront and Barnacle too but no sign of a Tundra for a few days now...

Tim

HiAll
Good views of the Glaucous Gull today feeding on the dead seal on the beach at Cley (East Bank end) Over 200 Red-throated Divers in an hours sea-watch there, as well as at least 2 porpoises passing by.
Black-necked Grebe still at Pentney gravel pits.
Good day out but very cold!
Sue

Tim Allwood said:
The back of the roost - the Horsey side is better for Merlin and close views of harriers - especially the Hens, and the cranes drop in closer too.
Tim

Totally agree! I never go to the Stubb's Mill side (last time was for a WT Eagle about a century ago!) But Tim: let's keep quiet about the Horsey roost access / Poppyland / Horsey Gap: it's great being on one's own to see the Cranes & Harriers at a few yards range, and to enjoy a good sandwich and excellent coffee in the cafe!

postcardcv said:
you should get scoters off the beach at Titchwell (if not then try at Cley) - the easiest spot for snow buntings is Salthouse, they are normally just east of the beach car park.

apologies for the belated response. I just wanted to say thanks for recommending Salthouse, I missed them when setting off but the birders pointing scopes at a patch of pebbles was a giveaway when we got back :) I was surprised how close you could get and even got a half decent photo.

We had a great weekend.

Thanks again,
Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back